• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha rear shocks

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Who makes a full set of rear shocks that are coil overs? I’m not a air shock fan at all and would like to run coil overs.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I think ZBroz and Ohlins do. Fox doesn't have any Cat shocks listed on their website.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Friend of mine has some coil over Kashima coated Fox shocks on his Alpha. I thought they were available through Cat as an accessory, but looking back at the 2019 catalog they aren't listed. Might have to give Tom's or Carver Performance a call and see if they can spec them out for you if you wanted to go the Fox route. Other than that Zbroz is the only website I've seen with them listed for sale. Ohlins does have an Alpha One application listed on their website, but details are scarce. Probably have to call their US service center and inquire.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I have called and emailed raptor and haven’t got a response. I would run a FOX shocks..........if I could find some

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
2020 hardcore alpha comes factory With QS3 and qsL coil overs. Been pretty happy with them. Other then the front track spring has to be cranked close to full tension On 2 and 3 setting to stop bottoming out, would like to try a dual rate spring. Fyi I am a fussy suspension person. I ended up running raptors on previous two sleds. And I’ve rode 19 Alphas With the cat air shocks and I think there terrible! Even after playing with all the settings.

Last edited:

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Looks like Elka and zbroz has shocks so I guess I’ll look at going that route. Anybody have any experience with either of those?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
If you like coil over shocks, I bet someone on here has a set of the QS3 shocks off a Hardcore they have replaced or would be willing to trade for your air shocks? Get the front track shock spring replaced with a 125 spring and maybe re-valved and you would be golden!

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
2020 hardcore alpha comes factory With QS3 and qsL coil overs. Been pretty happy with them. Other then the front track spring has to be cranked close to full tension On 2 and 3 setting to stop bottoming out, would like to try a dual rate spring. Fyi I am a fussy suspension person. I ended up running raptors on previous two sleds. And I’ve rode 19 Alphas With the cat air shocks and I think there terrible! Even after playing with all the settings.
Send them to Gashshockrepair and have them re-valved. They're way better once you get them re done

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Would it be better to buy a set of Elka‘s and just roll with it or fool around trying to find a set of hardcore take offs and then mess with having them reworked?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Would it be better to buy a set of Elka‘s and just roll with it or fool around trying to find a set of hardcore take offs and then mess with having them reworked?
That would depend on your budget and what you expect out of the shocks. The Elkas have more adjustability with high/low speed compression and rebound adjustments. The hardcore shocks only have the 3 position wide range compression adjuster. So if you really like to fine tune and adjust the suspension Elka would probably be the way to go. If you're the "IDK I just set it to 2 and ride it" type of rider then the hardcore set is probably good enough.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I have zbroz shocks, im honestly not super thrilled with them, i thinj they are sprung too stiff. I will be trying some new spring rates this winter.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Interesting and thank you for your response. Sure wish the kmod skinny rail had a coilover option. That might be a cool setup

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Raptor doesn't have any regular Alpha skid shocks yet so maybe they didn't have the time to put toward development with kmod. If you picked up the phone Kevin would probably tell you why he went with Fox over Raptor.

Premium Features