• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo Bog Issue

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I am having some bottom end bogging just after the clutch engages on my newly installed silber turbo on my 2016 axys. It feels like its loading up, but its happening when i have not been idling at all for long periods. I am currently on 100% 100LL to eliminate fuel related issues. Im at 10k ft and up runnin 5lbs boost. When installing the kit here's what i did.

Measured compression before and after a few rides. Both tests both cyls about 87psi at 10k ft which should be good. My gauge always reads a bit low as well.

Checked reeds. Good
New spark plugs
Cleaned ex valves without disconnecting
Pulled cylinder to measure pistons etc
New belt deflection set
Clutches cleaned thoroughly
No exhaust or intake leaks

My first ride did not have much noticeable bogging. i had all old 91 ethanol gas in. It was causing det so i switched to 100ll to isolate. Det is gone. I also added clutch weights hoping for smoother engagement. So. Either the ethanol created a hotter burn helping it to run cleaner on bottom, or it wants lower clutch weights.

Thoughts?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I am having some bottom end bogging just after the clutch engages on my newly installed silber turbo on my 2016 axys. It feels like its loading up, but its happening when i have not been idling at all for long periods. I am currently on 100% 100LL to eliminate fuel related issues. Im at 10k ft and up runnin 5lbs boost. When installing the kit here's what i did.

Measured compression before and after a few rides. Both tests both cyls about 87psi at 10k ft which should be good. My gauge always reads a bit low as well.

Checked reeds. Good
New spark plugs
Cleaned ex valves without disconnecting
Pulled cylinder to measure pistons etc
New belt deflection set
Clutches cleaned thoroughly
No exhaust or intake leaks

My first ride did not have much noticeable bogging. i had all old 91 ethanol gas in. It was causing det so i switched to 100ll to isolate. Det is gone. I also added clutch weights hoping for smoother engagement. So. Either the ethanol created a hotter burn helping it to run cleaner on bottom, or it wants lower clutch weights.

Thoughts?

Silber clutching?

At 10k you can cut that av gas with 50% non ethanol. (Or 70%)

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
At 10k feet I don't even think u need Avgas. Silber says 15%.

Start with fresh 91 no ethanol and ONLY 15% avgas.

Too much octane creates terrible throttle response. Almost like its flooded.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
At 10k feet I don't even think u need Avgas. Silber says 15%.

Start with fresh 91 no ethanol and ONLY 15% avgas.

Too much octane creates terrible throttle response. Almost like its flooded.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
That's what i figured on throttle response. Thanks for confirming. Av gas is easier to get than non eth. I guess ill start making my own non eth. Water separation technique.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I just went out for a test ride. I am now at about 50% 100LL/ 50% Eth 91. I am still getting the bog with little change. I tried the heaviest and lightest clutch weights. The lighter weights engage harsher and slightly mask the bog. The heavy weights come on really smooth and make the bog slightly more noticable. In both cases it is still there. It happens right around 5100-5300 rpm. Im cruising around and grab a bunch of throttle and it wants to almost fall on its face for a second. Ill keep trying to reduce avgas mix, but wondered if there is any other suggestions.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I just went out for a test ride. I am now at about 50% 100LL/ 50% Eth 91. I am still getting the bog with little change. I tried the heaviest and lightest clutch weights. The lighter weights engage harsher and slightly mask the bog. The heavy weights come on really smooth and make the bog slightly more noticable. In both cases it is still there. It happens right around 5100-5300 rpm. Im cruising around and grab a bunch of throttle and it wants to almost fall on its face for a second. Ill keep trying to reduce avgas mix, but wondered if there is any other suggestions.

Like i asked above?

Are you using silber’s provided clutching?

(It sucks and can be the sole cause of your stumble)

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Like i asked above?

Are you using silber’s provided clutching?

(It sucks and can be the sole cause of your stumble)

Indydan can provide clutching that will eliminate that.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I am. This feels like full blown fuel stumble. Like the plugs are loading up. The plugs seem a little on the wet side on the low end too. Im not saying you're wrong, i just know a lot about what fuel problems feel like.

My brothers sled was just like that before switching clutching.

Totally gone afterwards.

Tight belt deflection, good motor mounts, no boost leaks, hi temp rtv the exhaust donuts, align the clutches, tight track.........

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Reading back through this.... I never did see that since this is a 2016 did you adjust the TPS?
Alot of throttle responses have cleaned up with the install's I have done with getting the TPS where the sled likes.... No guaranteed magical numbers...some respond differently to settings.
We ride 9-10K and mix 2 gal of AV to 4 gal of 91 Non- 7# boost and sleds are flawlwss.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Reading back through this.... I never did see that since this is a 2016 did you adjust the TPS?
Alot of throttle responses have cleaned up with the install's I have done with getting the TPS where the sled likes.... No guaranteed magical numbers...some respond differently to settings.
We ride 9-10K and mix 2 gal of AV to 4 gal of 91 Non- 7# boost and sleds are flawlwss.
I did adjust the tps. Good call though.

Premium Features