• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important >>> Ski-Doo Summit 850 TURBO OEM at long last!!!!!!

Post number 92 has been selected as best answered.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
It is not 40 HP more. It's the way they are marketing it that makes you guys think that. It's only 40 HP more than stock of they are side by side at 12,500'. I talk to Tony about it tonight. This is a huge gimmick and only worth it if you ride over 10,000'. It's the same sled as stock until you get over 8,000'.

Not true. It is turbo compensated to make 165 HP no matter the altitude, up to 8000 feet. Your 165 HP NA machine loses about 3% per 1000 feet. At 5000 feet your NA sled is only making 140 HP equivalent, while this sled is still making 165 HP. If you only ride at sea level, it isn’t a good deal, but sweet as you go up. Stoked to see Doo make this move!

Last edited:
U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Who rides at 8k feet though? Sure the trail starts around 8.5k but I ascend about 800 feet by the time I get off trail. So say I ride at 9.5k feet, that puts me at 117hp. Add up to 40 hp (I'm sure they cap boost at a certain point, but I imagine that's in excess of 10k) and I'm helluva a lot closer to the stock hp numbers.

That being said, my current plan is to be switching back to Polaris from my Doo when they announce a new platform and hopefully picking up a holdover for bottom dollar. Then put on high compression goofies to get back to close to sea level numbers and upping octane to match. Shouldn't sacrifice too much reliability and will be far less than $18k once I'm done riding the sled.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
It is not 40 HP more. It's the way they are marketing it that makes you guys think that. It's only 40 HP more than stock of they are side by side at 12,500'. I talk to Tony about it tonight. This is a huge gimmick and only worth it if you ride over 10,000'. It's the same sled as stock until you get over 8,000'.
Ohhhhh, ok I get it now... its not 40hp more because its 40hp more. Makes sense!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
It's 165 HP up to 8000'. After that, it's 40 HP more than a normally aspirated 850 at the same elevation. So in the example of the stock sled making 117 HP, the turbo version would be making 157 HP.
?‍♂️
I get it, LOL.

DanoXRS

King Ding-aLing
Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
For guys riding around 5-6k ft its probably hardly worth it to get for a added 25-30 hp at least for me anyway, not worth the money in my opinion !
Guys are spending upward of $2000 on after market parts (exhaust, etc) to get 10 - 15 HP more and this "bought" HP is still susceptible to elevation changes. 25 - 30 HP more at 5 to 6000'....I'm pretty sure that's money well spent for most guys riding at elevation.
As stated earlier however, if you're riding at or near sea level, it's not worth buying.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
If you ride over probably 5000' I think it'd be worth it (roughly 25hp gain at that point). A 165" Expert with Shot is $15,500, so at $18,100 it's a $2600 increase. What does an aftermarket turbo run these days, about double that?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
So I basically never ride below 8,000 feet. If I ever find myself below 8,000 feet, the snow is so crappy that more horsepower is not needed.

This turbo that "basically just corrects for elevation" is literally exactly what I've been clamoring for for years. And I'm not the only one. Simple. Light. Factory controls. Warranty. This is literally exactly what I would have designed. My take is that Ski-Doo hit the nail 100% right on the head.

With that being said, ain't no way I can afford an $18k sled. So in the meantime, I'll keep saving my pennies and buying a cheap holdover Polaris every few years. I'll be just as jealous as a guy can be when I see one of these though.

S
Feb 2, 2017
Cool idea, small market. I doubt most guys that ride regularly at or below 6k elevation will find the price worth it. Could be wrong.

The big pocket guys would buy it if they rode at Sea Level.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
somebody will find a way to tune it up im sure if not the Yamaha and king cat already make a heavy sled that will sidehill pretty good and can be tuned up easily well over the that hp. 16 wide track with 3.5 pitch, they may get the high mark 'box stock' for now, I guess thats something. I don't see it as game changing but nice sled for sure

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Smart marketing on the part of BRP in my opinion.

To release a small number of sleds mid season to allow real people to do all the things they do to a snowmobile, and then they get legitimate feedback on the failures and deficiencies without thousands of people hitting the web and blowing their problems out of proportion. I’m sure they did their testing but we all know there will be some refinements coming. I’m not ready to say “game changer” just yet, it could still turn into the RT 1000 v2.0.... but if it works out well then without question we’ll all look back at this as the sled that did it first.

Premium Features