• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My dealer thinks that the 850 will be snowcheck only again this year, in an effort to reduce the amount of leftover 800 sleds. If they do the same allocation per dealer, he won't have a problem filling it again.
Not everyone reads SW or even knows that there are issues.
SO my question would be this: To anyone with an 850 that has experienced a failure, if you put 2000 miles on this year after things get "worked out", would you snowcheck an 850 freshie for next year? I bet that almost everyone would. Poo guys are diehard and loyal. If they weren't, then Polaris would have gone out of the snow business after the first 800 came out. Not that all of the manufacturers haven't built some turds, but Polaris has had more than their share of issues with building reliable 800 engines. Yet they still sell a lot of sleds to people that know the reliability risk. And they know to sell their sleds with a year of warranty left, to pass the risk on to the next guy.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
- just look at the views - there were 347 people viewing this thread right now in the middle of a work day.

Yeah, Polaris, "if" you are watching: more than 3000 peeps have watched this thread thus far.

Just saying..

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Like Dan I grew up in this industry and worked my a$$ off to garner a rep for myself......

Michelle

SHE returns!!! Welcome back......

BUT anyone who knows you will disagree with your statement "I grew up..."-- you may be older now then you once were, but I don't know anyone who would state you "grew up".......:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

In all seriousness, for all you guys who order your OEM parts online, Michelle and Randy at Cannon Motorsports are the best. They are not just "order fillers" they are riders and understand this sport and what you need.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Randy & Michelle Knadle are the force at Cannon Power Sports behind taking care of supplying Indy Specialty's parts for our Polaris motors.

They are aslo one of the best stocking dealers of Snowmobile outwest Survival gear.

They have a massive inventory and offer same day shipping.

If i asked for a part and they don't have it.....they ask do you think you will sell more of these ? if i say yes they start stocking it plain and simple.

They are a rare dealer with a vision of being a stocking dealer.

If you need and Avy gear call Randy or Michelle they have everything.

everybody wants everything right now these days..........and inventory cost alot of money and margins are slim.

i turely admire the hard work the staff at Cannon Power put out.

Thanks Randy & Michelle.

Dan

Wow that's cool. Go Big Parts is run by a different Randy and Michelle. Crazy the similarities.

Randy

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
Randy & Michelle Knadle are the force at Cannon Power Sports behind taking care of supplying Indy Specialty's parts for our Polaris motors.

They are aslo one of the best stocking dealers of Snowmobile outwest Survival gear.

They have a massive inventory and offer same day shipping.

If i asked for a part and they don't have it.....they ask do you think you will sell more of these ? if i say yes they start stocking it plain and simple.

They are a rare dealer with a vision of being a stocking dealer.

If you need and Avy gear call Randy or Michelle they have everything.

everybody wants everything right now these days..........and inventory cost alot of money and margins are slim.

i turely admire the hard work the staff at Cannon Power put out.

Thanks Randy & Michelle.

Dan

X10 They are the number one example of what a dealer should be. The service from Michelle and Randy in my honest opinion can not be beat. When I call she answers the phone knowing it's me and says what did ya break this time? Both of them go above and beyond for their customers.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Just to add some fuel to the "dealers getting hosed" fire, let's not forget there were several with multiple snowcheck sleds that were delayed well into Dec (maybe later). Wasn't big percentages, but some dealers got all their sleds in reasonable time, while some had several angry customers to deal with. There are a couple Polaris-only dealers in MT, but it seems everywhere you look things are going to multi-brand super-stores. You'd think a town like Red Lodge (near me) could support a small dealer, but I don't think they've ever had one – even the old Ford dealer is gone as far as I can tell.

Hopefully the days of small, hard-working shops aren't over, but short of starting with a pile of cash and working yourself to death, you're not likely to build a thriving business unless you find a really nice niche. Didn't used to be that way – my grandpa bought a pharmacy in small-town ND 70 years ago and did pretty well for the 25 years or so he owned/ran it. Maybe we're just getting pessimistic, but it seems like building up a brick and mortar business has gone from challenging to hopelessly impractical just in my 35 years.

As for the 850, there seem to be quite a few going on without issue, so maybe it's not all bad. I'd bet we see some changes to the 2020 engines, but I don't think PI will say much about it. If they say "we've improved the reliability for 2020" they're admitting they had a problem. I doesn't look like the failure rate is nearly enough (so far) for them to do a full-blown recall, but then it would take a lot. Given that they're pulling the "new motor" trigger and asking question later when someone's 850 goes down, they know they have a problem. Even at that, with a fair number of units holding out ok, I'm betting they've decided they can milk the problem out and save some face. Time will tell, but my hopes of the 850 being a true "gotta have it" engine out of the box are pretty much gone.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
Dealers

One of my mentors and a extremely knowledgeable person fought and raced to become a dealer and he finally became one for Artic Cat. After several years as a dealer he decided to get out of it for a lot of the reasons stated. I remember talking to him back in the day and Artic Cat decided they were going to let Gander Mountain sell right across the street from him. People would buy there sleds across the street to save 100 bucks then bring it to him for warranty work. Then they would make him take watercraft and other Artic Cat products that he did not want and knew he would have a hard time selling. The writing was on the wall and he got out. Sad thing is he was the type of guy that i and many of my friends at the time would buy from him no matter what he sold because we wanted him behind us not so much the brand. If Polaris or Artic Cat are listening i got out of Artic Cat because of what you did to my mentor and i have not rode one since. He was a great asset to the sport and was recently inducted into the snowmobile hall of fame. Just the type of guy you would want on your team! Sorry to get off track but i had to mention it.

We as customers can have some influence on this when we are shopping online to save a few bucks. We could go support our local dealer.

Last edited:

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Yup, you got that right. These seem to be the dealers in Michigan that are making it.

46678520771_275d61bd1d_z.jpg

46625817722_ef7c747080_z.jpg

46678432881_cf2182dc9b_z.jpg

Zeigler gets knocked out of the air by Leaders RPM. They look impressive but sell very few units . I live within 10 miles of them and Leaders is 20 but I take 100% of my business the extra miles .

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Zeigler gets knocked out of the air by Leaders RPM. They look impressive but sell very few units . I live within 10 miles of them and Leaders is 20 but I take 100% of my business the extra miles .

Seems like fox sells a lot of bikes and stuff but they are weird as well. I hear they try to tell some of their supliers they can't sell to other local powersports stores.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Here is what pisses me off(and I have not had a failure, only one ride)<div>Polaris marketed this as a durability first engine and tried to make snow checks special again so as to retain some resale, etc.</div><div>With all the failures occurring it will be hard to give these sleds away if these failures keep happening. </div><div>From a PR standpoint I would love for Polaris to speak up and admit there are some problems and assure all the people who bought into the marketing hype that they will be taken care of!!</div><div>These failures may be well overblown or exaggerated but there should be next to no sleds going down.</div><div>I would have far more respect from PI if they would issue some assurance RIGHT NOW!!</div><div>I'm starting to not even want to ride this sled until these issues are solved.</div><div>Warranty is one thing but getting stranded 30 miles from the truck in the back country is just not fun after coughing up 14k plus</div><div>POLARIS are you reading these threads??!!</div><div>I have bought a new Polaris every year since 2012 but will look long and hard at another brand next year if we are kept in the dark and not be assured we will be taken care of</div><div>With that said I love the sled and want it to be all that we all hope it will be.</div><div>A sled we all can trust and have confidence in!!</div><div><br></div>

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Two things...

GLAD TO SEE MICHELLE POSTING IN HERE.

SHE HASN'T GROWN UP.... YET.

HAHA

SHE returns!!! Welcome back......

BUT anyone who knows you will disagree with your statement "I grew up..."-- you may be older now then you once were, but I don't know anyone who would state you "grew up".......:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

In all seriousness, for all you guys who order your OEM parts online, Michelle and Randy at Cannon Motorsports are the best. They are not just "order fillers" they are riders and understand this sport and what you need.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm not blaming the weather, but I don't think the U.S. has the typical snow coverage we would normally be experiencing this time of year to get more miles on these engines. I don't get excited to really ride until we get enough snow to cover enough obstacles, which we don't have yet.

If we had an early/deep snow season would we be seeing more engine issues due to increased exposure?

Snow Coverage Map 01092019.JPG

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I'm not blaming the weather, but I don't think the U.S. has the typical snow coverage we would normally be experiencing this time of year to get more miles on these engines. I don't get excited to really ride until we get enough snow to cover enough obstacles, which we don't have yet.

If we had an early/deep snow season would we be seeing more engine issues due to increased exposure?

Don’t want to derail what we have here.

Waiting On Scott’s response.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Glad to see you chime in.

As an ambassador. What do you have to
Say about all of this Scott?

I haven't posted in this thread since back when it was around 275 posts.
I'm just shaking my head at this thread.
Vintage internet forum.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
One of my mentors and a extremely knowledgeable person fought and raced to become a dealer and he finally became one for Artic Cat. After several years as a dealer he decided to get out of it for a lot of the reasons stated. I remember talking to him back in the day and Artic Cat decided they were going to let Gander Mountain sell right across the street from him. People would buy there sleds across the street to save 100 bucks then bring it to him for warranty work. Then they would make him take watercraft and other Artic Cat products that he did not want and knew he would have a hard time selling. The writing was on the wall and he got out. Sad thing is he was the type of guy that i and many of my friends at the time would buy from him no matter what he sold because we wanted him behind us not so much the brand. If Polaris or Artic Cat are listening i got out of Artic Cat because of what you did to my mentor and i have not rode one since. He was a great asset to the sport and was recently inducted into the snowmobile hall of fame. Just the type of guy you would want on your team! Sorry to get off track but i had to mention it.

We as customers can have some influence on this when we are shopping online to save a few bucks. We could go support our local dealer.

No need to to say your sorry.... This isn't off track, it is spot on what I am raging about.

Great post !! And relivant to exactly what I am mad about.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I haven't posted in this thread since back when it was around 275 posts.
I'm just shaking my head at this thread.
Vintage internet forum.

Scott....... You call this vintage forum. ?

Really ? That's interesting.

So you would say that a thread that's under a month old that had over 100,000 views and a thousand posts is vintage.....

I would say you're acting like a coward and afraid to pick a side.

Take off your Polaris cape for a few minutes and tell me or Polaris what you think and stop being such a kiss a$$ kool-aid drinker.

Polaris can make it thru this without your help.....you're acting like you would like to stuff a sock in my mouth.

Spit it out say what you want to say.

Dan

Premium Features