• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Looks like I mis read and assumed dan got his info about addies PI from snowest or a mod. That was an error on my part. Taking posts down! Never assume people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In this day and age, not many people will put themselves out there.
I still like you. ;)

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
This thread contains-
1. 30 years of honing experience
2. Nicasil and silicon carbide are the same.
3. Engine info that we would never ever know
4. Possible throwdown on the mountain.
5. If you piss off Dan for 10 years and you see him on the hill, keep your helmet on.
6. 40,000 views

What more can one want from a forum? This thread rocks. The views prove it. Posssibly the daily fastest view count.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I want to see how well it works to have the crank be the inner race. Seems like no way to change out bad bearings any more, have to change the crank.
I was told today that the old twin Mountain Max 600 sleds used this same technology, only they had a sleeve on the crank that liked to walk on the crank and go through the seals.
I am so glad I sell my sleds every year, I would hate to have to work on these things!

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
This thread has been education and entertaining too. Kind of like an early Christmas present.....like our 850's. None of this has me concerned with the warranty we have. It would suck to have a new sled go down when in the no tow out stashes, that can happen on any sled though.
Merry Christmas everyone!!

C
Jan 15, 2008
6. 40,000 views

What more can one want from a forum? This thread rocks. The views prove it. Posssibly the daily fastest view count.

Lots of us from other forums clicking on this thread including the big group...flatlanders. All makes and models of course.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Did a leak down on the 850 this morning in the shop. 62*.
It has great numbers for the amount of time on it. Both holes were at 3%. I’m, as the kids say, stoked.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Did a leak down on the 850 this morning in the shop. 62*.
It has great numbers for the amount of time on it. Both holes were at 3%. I’m, as the kids say, stoked.
What are you doing to test? The only two tests I know how to do are compression with a gauge and an air leak test to check for vacuum and air leaks into the engine. I'm missing something here as both you and Dan have mentioned a leak down test.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
What are you doing to test? The only two tests I know how to do are compression with a gauge and an air leak test to check for vacuum and air leaks into the engine. I'm missing something here as both you and Dan have mentioned a leak down test.
Search "compression leakdown test". Its much more useful than just a compression test.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
This has been the best thread in a long time.
Impressed with how quickly Dan identified problem and implemented a fix. (Implementing fixes this quickly is truly the difficult part)

Question to you Dan,
If you observed this engine being assembled at Polaris, would you have been able to foresee these issues?
If so, this is the kind of consultation that would have paid off in spades had they invested in it.

As mentioned several times, hand built prototypes will often times not expose vulnerabilities of production units.
Engineers are smart, very smart. But few have the real world experience to predict how things will react different than numbers and equations.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Search "compression leakdown test". Its much more useful than just a compression test.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
I've done this on four strokes, but never on a two stroke. I never thought I could get valuable data from a single ring piston that way. I guess I was wrong.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
As mentioned several times, hand built prototypes will often times not expose vulnerabilities of production units.
Engineers are smart, very smart. But few have the real world experience to predict how things will react different than numbers and equations.

BINGO. The attention to details and such is usually far better for the prototypes than the assembly line units.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Indy Dan, I'm wondering what is wrong with millennium's mirror finish hone? I had really good luck with it after learning the hard way how important cylinder honing is for the longevity of the Polaris CFI 800 engines.

Nothing, it's just not called "Indy Dan HG7 Honing" and he doesn't make any money off of it.

Again the stuff he speaks of isn't new, its all written in books anyone with ambition can pick up and read (Plateau honing/ultra finish honing). RKTech and Indy are amazing at selling they're re-invented wheels. Then going after others for "stealing" they're ideas.

Back to the 850.. :)

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Battlestorm

I have never seen Millenniums mirror finish ( if they offer this option now they have not shown me )

( The Bob) .... Be carful how you make statements without being sure about being able back them.

That was a bit of a cocky mouth off.

Plateau finishing isn't new no one claimed it was.

But until I lost me ass and figure out how in fact to do it to plated cylinders a plateau finish did not exist on A silicon carbide cylinder.

Obviously know one thought it mattered.

And I never claimed anyone stole anything for me...... What is there to steel ?

I provide a service...... Knock yourself out open up a shop and have at it.

Dan

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I've done this on four strokes, but never on a two stroke. I never thought I could get valuable data from a single ring piston that way. I guess I was wrong.

I leak down everything, race motor to sleds....just a good tool to have in the box for info:face-icon-small-coo

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
BINGO. The attention to details and such is usually far better for the prototypes than the assembly line units.

I don’t know for fact that Polaris does it this way, but would bet money that they do... “Test” units usually go through different iterations. This would be a general progression. Different manufacturers and even different projects will vary slightly, but the general theory is likely the same. There are often stages in between what I’m laying out below, but this would cover the higher level steps.

Step 1: skunk works prototype, “mule”. Kind of a proof of concept. Hand built, using non-production procedures and components. A lot of times the “testing” done here is more around design concepts and not so much around repair frequency tracking.

Step 2: full prototype. This is where you’d have maybe 70-80% final product components and some level of production procedures, but not many. These are the units that would go through the majority of the testing and failure analysis. Many engineering changes and component changes based on what they learn. The units are updated periodically with new designs and testing continues

Step 3: pilot units. This is as much a test of manufacturing process as it is anything else. The product is 95% or more “final” product. These units will have some specific test requirements and used for auditing numerous aspects of the project. Everything is built in the production environment. Very few changes to the product can be made at this point. If there are, step 2 was a failure and there will be a delay in the project for additional test needs.

To say engineers working on these projects don’t have real world experience is complete ignorance. Yes, some (many) design engineers fit that label, but design engineering is only one piece. Test engineers are often mechanics, engineers, riders, users, etc... they don’t sit behind a computer screen in CAD all day, but they can... there are also technical service personnel that are very involved in these projects that bring data from past experience, serviceability, warranty issues, etc.

There is a lot of hyperbole in this thread. What Dan proposes in all these situations is what we consider a “10X” fix. Basically, spend any amount of money, over engineer it, and push out a fix that is almost certain to never fail (10x stronger/better than it needs to be). IF Polaris starts experiencing a 20+% failure rate throughout the entire vehicle park, that might be something they consider. But I doubt that happens or the project wouldn’t have been released. If they see failures, they are going to go into failure analysis and fix the root cause of the issue...not just do a 10X fix because that changes down steam variables.

Premium Features