• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRS clutching NA

N
Aug 27, 2012
Bend, OR
As you describe falling off the pipe, that is how my sled has been for most of its life. Before last Friday I have never really experienced my sled on the pipe on a regular basis. It is way more fun to ride and if clutching makes it run on the pipe better or more often I am happy.
Ian

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Guys that are complaining about falling off the pipe, try the stock can and see if it helps.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Guys that are complaining about falling off the pipe, try the stock can and see if it helps.
Im 100% stock exhaust and it still happens fairly easily in the right conditions. Really easy to do if running clutching that dosn't work proper.

I ran the Carls clutching this weekend in cooke and altho it was very consistant and pulled well in technical riding I could still make it fall off as I dug the sled in hard on climbs and it didn't have nearly the top end pull in open terrain. Seems to slip the belt fairly bad at low track speed. clutch definately doesn't look as good as running tony's setup, lots of signs of slippage.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Tony, there hasn't been as much activity on the TRS turbo clutching thread for a while. Any changes on that in the last few weeks? Your last set up for the axys sidekick was...

125-175 Red/Gray secondary spring
42-32F helix
70g Lightning weights
150-310 Almond/Blue primary
Gates belt
Secondary set at .130” in from the 191 SLP bar.
Pro pulleys

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
At my elevation (6000-8000k) I prefer Carls setup to the TRS clutching, it pulls harder, backshifts much quicker and pulls more (proper) rpms and pulls more track speed. The only thing I dont like about it is seemingly the bellybuster are too light in the tip at full shift, slipping the primary (leaving marks) and lots of heat. I did not see an decrease in temps with the trs setup but it didnt leave belts marks on the primary either. Maybe stock springs, Carls helix w/ the Speedwerx L weights...? Heavier in the tip

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
At my elevation (6000-8000k) I prefer Carls setup to the TRS clutching, it pulls harder, backshifts much quicker and pulls more (proper) rpms and pulls more track speed. The only thing I dont like about it is seemingly the bellybuster are too light in the tip at full shift, slipping the primary (leaving marks) and lots of heat. I did not see an decrease in temps with the trs setup but it didnt leave belts marks on the primary either. Maybe stock springs, Carls helix w/ the Speedwerx L weights...? Heavier in the tip

Have you tried Lightning weights?
The L, here at elevation, is the next go to weight I have found. I was looking for a weight that had availability for everyone. What testing has found is the profile works, but with added tip weight isn’t the answer for lower elevations. I believe it needs to be a heavier base weight. Testing by Ian and Dustin would prove or disprove this theory.
Pipe heat, no matter what clutch setup, is critical to RPM and a power differential regarding the AXYS. It is definitely more noticeable than the PRO.

Edit:
Came home for the day and headed back to the mountain for another week(Happy Dance). No internet.(more Happy Dance)

Last edited:
P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
I have not, I certainly would if I could get my hands on a set. the L weights were recommended as a replacement and turns out were a waste of $

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
How many of you guys trying the TRS set-up have drilled your motor straps and got the motor positioned 100% square? Or at least what he had recommended in the Pro forum? I think like .030" lead in.

I bought all the parts (gearing, weights, springs, helixes, exhaust springs, thermo mod) and have half dozen sets of the TCP Lightning weights. I tried the setup on probably 8 trips out west. Did everything except slot the motor straps. Had the same results as ^^^^^^. Good response, good shift/backshift but would start slipping the belt halfway up the clutch.

I'm not the expert, but kinda just decided to drop it for now till I have time to pull my motor and get it properly aligned. It's .090"-.100" depending how I hold the ruler.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
I had the same results as TRS did with the Speedwerks set up last week in Togwotee with fresh snow. The more I stayed into the flipper keeping the pipe hot the better it worked. Clutches were cooler than the stock clutching recommendations and zero belt marks on sheaves. Very happy with the results... Thanks TRS

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I was fortunate enough to spend the last week with TRS, couple of my buddies, and an occasional local. Sad to be going home but it was 5 of the best riding days I have had. Sore, tired and pushed. I LOVE IT, but frankly can't keep up with those boys.

The first day we started with the base set up and did some tweaking everyday. Some day on the hill. My sled was NAUGHTY!!! no other way to describe it. Everytime TRS touched my sled it gets better.

I have rode his set ups from 5,000-11,000 ft. Always smiles. I don't know what you guys complaining have going on are feeling or what is going on, but for me it's the complete opposite.

TRS thank you for lessons learned, your patience and a awesome running sled.
#dreaminofbobscountry

N
Aug 27, 2012
Bend, OR
So I went up for a quick ride this morning with my stock can and lightning weights. Stock Can did not help pipe heat come on any quicker than my SSI Titanium can.
Current Clutch Setup:
Lightning weights 62.9g
110-290 Primary Spring
40-32F ER Secondary Helix
140-200 Secondary Spring

This setup rips!! The snow was light and fluffy, more like what Tony is used to riding with. About 24" of fresh over a relatively set-up base. Was pulling 8300rpm steady on the pipe when climbing and about 38mph. The R's were more constant with the 140-200 spring than the 125-175. I have not tried the 125-175 with lightning weights so I can't say for sure whether it was the spring or weights that helped the R's. Lightning weights truly work at the 6-8k elevation. The L's just weren't heavy enough at this elevation. Also the clutches were staying cooler than with the L weights. I could hold my hands on them after ripping around and climbing a couple hills back to back. I am very pleased with this setup. Now to find/make a weight that is more available to everyone. I would be happy with an exact lightning copy with adjustable weight or just a lightning copy.
Ian

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I'm running an slp pipe and ssi ti can. Might try the slp can just to see what happens. Runs strong with the speedwerx weights.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Some of you have been asking about the 47 Gates belt. It is now the belt I prefer over the 45.
Dobeck Performance will stock them.*(406) 388-2006‬

C040E646-C209-4FBB-956F-DACEE5706A16.jpg

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
How many of you guys trying the TRS set-up have drilled your motor straps and got the motor positioned 100% square? Or at least what he had recommended in the Pro forum? I think like .030" lead in.

I bought all the parts (gearing, weights, springs, helixes, exhaust springs, thermo mod) and have half dozen sets of the TCP Lightning weights. I tried the setup on probably 8 trips out west. Did everything except slot the motor straps. Had the same results as ^^^^^^. Good response, good shift/backshift but would start slipping the belt halfway up the clutch.

I'm not the expert, but kinda just decided to drop it for now till I have time to pull my motor and get it properly aligned. It's .090"-.100" depending how I hold the ruler.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If you are slipping the belt in the clutch with my setup and lightning weights. You have a setup issue some where.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Tony,

Is this true for the ProRide sleds if they have the Indy Specialties cut on the sheaves? Would this be the belt to use on the ProRide with Indy Specialties cut sheaves?

Some of you have been asking about the 47 Gates belt. It is now the belt I prefer over the 45.
Dobeck Performance will stock them.*(406) 388-2006

Tewstroke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Yakima,WA
So I went up for a quick ride this morning with my stock can and lightning weights. Stock Can did not help pipe heat come on any quicker than my SSI Titanium can.
Current Clutch Setup:
Lightning weights 62.9g
110-290 Primary Spring
40-32F ER Secondary Helix
140-200 Secondary Spring

This setup rips!! The snow was light and fluffy, more like what Tony is used to riding with. About 24" of fresh over a relatively set-up base. Was pulling 8300rpm steady on the pipe when climbing and about 38mph. The R's were more constant with the 140-200 spring than the 125-175. I have not tried the 125-175 with lightning weights so I can't say for sure whether it was the spring or weights that helped the R's. Lightning weights truly work at the 6-8k elevation. The L's just weren't heavy enough at this elevation. Also the clutches were staying cooler than with the L weights. I could hold my hands on them after ripping around and climbing a couple hills back to back. I am very pleased with this setup. Now to find/make a weight that is more available to everyone. I would be happy with an exact lightning copy with adjustable weight or just a lightning copy.
Ian

At what altitude were you riding?

Tewstroke

Premium Features