• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on a snowbike ( Mototrax Demo ride )

M

miller tools

Jan 19, 2009
boyden iowa
Moto Trax

When you order a kit from them if they dont have any ready they should refer you to a dealer if they have stock. Way to help your dealers out I think Moto Trax has a great kit but they need to get there **** together.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Awesome! With the snow you guys have been having this year you should have lots of time to ride that thing. I remember riding at bachelor until Fourth of July with plenty snow before PC MR bought them and ruined it.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Awesome! With the snow you guys have been having this year you should have lots of time to ride that thing. I remember riding at bachelor until Fourth of July with plenty snow before PC MR bought them and ruined it.

Yea its been good!

I think they opened for the 4th last year. Can't remember for sure. They close stupid early now that the Pape's don't own it anymore.

Got it out of the box... lol trying to get motivated to go finish it. Bum foot slowing me down.

Started finding TONS of mud and grass hidden in crazy places from 24 hours of starvation ridge from 2015 LOL( it was a horrible mudder )... so.. doing a lot of cleaning and not a lot of installing.

My dogs helping

Last edited:
M
Mar 14, 2012
When you order a kit from them if they dont have any ready they should refer you to a dealer if they have stock. Way to help your dealers out I think Moto Trax has a great kit but they need to get there **** together.

We actually generally do altho it is difficult sometimes as we have a lot of dealers and don't get constant updates on their sales. But generally MOST of our dealers have only one demo kit and then order directly when a customer buys assuming the customer doesn't buy their demo unit.

Our dealer system is setup very different in that we allow dealers to stock very few units and then just keep ordering as needed.

M

miller tools

Jan 19, 2009
boyden iowa
kits

Do not take that wrong I have two kits and i love them just took longer then expected to get here kits are good. Danny is very helpful and always takes my calls I will buy one more next year for the third bike i have. Kids are loving it we can ride year around.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Ran into a couple of installation problems.. I sent emails out to mototrax tonight, I'll have to call them tomorrow ( Pro caliber/Mototrax or both ). Its probably after business hours at the moment. I only have time to work on it when I get home from work.

Problem 1
The chain adjuster on the chainside would not fit through the hole without binding..couldn't actually get it on at all. I fixed that by grinding at least 2mm off one side of the chain adjuster with an angle grinder.

( the part my thumb is touching I ground down a bunch on the inside so it would fit in tigher and go through the hole without binding )

Pic: Before I ground it down, wouldn't go any further than that because its going in at an angle because of misalignment.

Problem 2
I have a 2014 KTM 500 EXC. The Strut seems to be way too short.

They recommend starting at 3/8" thread showing, and going up to 3/4" MAX. My pictures are at 1/2" thread showing and its not even close to being able to fit...plus I have the rear end lifted up so high in the picture that the entire thing is actually hitting the bottom of my airbox and I cannot lift it any higher.

Maybe i'm doing something stupid but it seems way too short.

Pic 1: Chain side is hitting airbox..

Pic 2: Strut is about 11" long

Pic 3: Fit kit box it came in ( masking tape is me I opened the box over the weekend to look at the parts before install and re-taped it )

Last edited:
K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I don't know if the 14 is any different from my 16 500 xcw but I struggled getting the right fit kit.

Here is what I found worked the best for me.

They should be the same I think...thanks.. I think 12-16 350/450/500 EXC/XCW have the same frame..but I could be wrong..

wow yea. lol what the hell. Not like I have some oddball bike.

I don't know if its a meaningful test, but i held up my strut to the stock shock, and the stock shock is a TON longer than the strut that came in the fit kit.

M
Mar 14, 2012
Yup you need the longer one, if you have not already call customer service and let them know, they can get you the correct one ASAP. The KTM 500 and some of the two stroke are really weird for a few years. Some are really long and some normal size.

Regardless we will get you fixed up and I also am putting a note on his desk right now.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Yup you need the longer one, if you have not already call customer service and let them know, they can get you the correct one ASAP. The KTM 500 and some of the two stroke are really weird for a few years. Some are really long and some normal size.

Regardless we will get you fixed up and I also am putting a note on his desk right now.

I called customer service, and emailed zak.

Pretty sure 2012-2106 KTM 350/450/500 EXC & XCW's all have the same frame that don't have linkage. Maybe the KTM's with linkage suspension ( SX/XC ) have shorter strut needs? I dont know.

I Should be in the system PS your ticket system seems a little silly for a simple fix like this. Do i need to go through waiting for emails? ya have my info now just send the right part.

Last edited:
M
Mar 14, 2012
I called customer service, and emailed zak.

Pretty sure 2012-2106 KTM 350/450/500 EXC & XCW's all have the same frame that don't have linkage. Maybe the KTM's with linkage suspension ( SX/XC ) have shorter strut needs? I dont know.

I Should be in the system PS your ticket system seems a little silly for a simple fix like this. Do i need to go through waiting for emails? ya have my info now just send the right part.

I know is some instances it seems annoying but it helps us track issues and make sure they were solved properly. If we don't use it every time them nobody starts using it and people fall through the cracks, with that being said I believe your strut was sent today.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
A few pics while I wait on the strut. To bad I'm missing out on the 3 day weekend. Oh well.

I had to do the install myself, getting the axle in was hard, but getting the last 2 bolts in.. was impossible...turned out to be impossible regardless because the strut was too short, but I like the contraption I came up with , ladder and a ratchet strap to lift the back end up. I kept lifting...took me awhile to realize the strut was too short.

Put the front ski on tonight no issues there, fit kit was fine.

w74bronco

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2016
While you are waiting for your strut, get to work on bleeding your brake, especially if it is the hand brake. Took me as long to get that right as it did to install the whole kit. Reverse bleed from the upper nipple in the caliper via a syringe. If you already have a bleeder kit, check the hose size as compared to the bleed nipples. Mine seemed smaller than standard. 1/4" wrench for the bleeder.

T

Texask5

Oct 3, 2015

Thats total BS pds shock lengths only lengthened a few millimeters from chassis to chassis change. One strut rod should be able to cover any PDS bike. Timbersled recommends the same strut length for all three chassis styles, 04-07, 08-10, 11-16. While maybe one length isnt perfect for every generation one strut rod should have enough adjustability to cover any year model with PDS. My point is there is no reason your fit kit should have been shipped with the wrong strut, this must not be the first PDS fit kit they sold?

Premium Features