• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Evo Vipers out there??

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Looks great. Just a heads up be careful when removing the old fuel presure regulator from the thank. The plastic clips like to break. Would do head studs all day, as long as I didnt have to do another one of them( frustrating). :face-icon-small-con

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
The MPI kit has great bottom end power that never dissapoints and spools supercharger like. With that said the top end leaves something to be desired. Once into the mid range it starts to tapper and then seems to feel like a NA sled. Fun sled that should fit my riding style fairly well in the trees where one is on and off the throttle constantly.

Kinzer

12244822_1102646716419879_7635595675118329893_o.jpg

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
The MPI kit has great bottom end power that never dissapoints and spools supercharger like. With that said the top end leaves something to be desired. Once into the mid range it starts to tapper and then seems to feel like a NA sled. Fun sled that should fit my riding style fairly well in the trees where one is on and off the throttle constantly.

Kinzer

We will have the MPI non intercooled and the EVO 210/270 this year on our vipers so it will be fun to test the differences.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Ok a quick update. We got the sled all put together and running. I am only going to run the 210 pump gas setting until I can get rods done.
Parts are perty. Everything fit pretty good, minus the hood will not clear the intercooler. I cut out the back of the light, but still need more clearance... Could be a 16' change but there needs to be ATLEAST another inch of clearance!
Regardless, the sled started and ran clean. I put about 40 miles on it and it never hiccuped, sneezed or otherwise did anything abnormal. I can say in all my years of riding turbo sleds this is by far the best out of the gate running setup I've been on! Impressive tuning.
Clutching leaves a lot to be desired. I'll fix that up but they need to spend much more time with it. It's real lazy on the back shift middle throttle. Low end is pretty decent.
The turbo does not have that hit like all the other turbos I have owned. I'm not sure what to think of that since I am used to it and like it... But this is so linear and easy to ride... I'm not sure yet...
One thumb up for this kit as sent. I didn't expect me to like the clutching as I am very particular with how I like it, but it dont get the second thumbs up since the damn body cannot even clear the intercooler!

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Ok a quick update. We got the sled all put together and running. I am only going to run the 210 pump gas setting until I can get rods done.
Parts are perty. Everything fit pretty good, minus the hood will not clear the intercooler. I cut out the back of the light, but still need more clearance... Could be a 16' change but there needs to be ATLEAST another inch of clearance!
Regardless, the sled started and ran clean. I put about 40 miles on it and it never hiccuped, sneezed or otherwise did anything abnormal. I can say in all my years of riding turbo sleds this is by far the best out of the gate running setup I've been on! Impressive tuning.
Clutching leaves a lot to be desired. I'll fix that up but they need to spend much more time with it. It's real lazy on the back shift middle throttle. Low end is pretty decent.
The turbo does not have that hit like all the other turbos I have owned. I'm not sure what to think of that since I am used to it and like it... But this is so linear and easy to ride... I'm not sure yet...
One thumb up for this kit as sent. I didn't expect me to like the clutching as I am very particular with how I like it, but it dont get the second thumbs up since the damn body cannot even clear the intercooler!

On the MPI kits there is a little bit of trimming that needs to be done on the base kit even. Not really a big deal since it won't be seen unless the hood is off, but just a pain to put on, guess how much, trim, put back on, trim some more, etc. How long did the install take you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
On the MPI kits there is a little bit of trimming that needs to be done on the base kit even. Not really a big deal since it won't be seen unless the hood is off, but just a pain to put on, guess how much, trim, put back on, trim some more, etc. How long did the install take you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see. I still don't think it's acceptable being the price tag associated with the kit. Mpi is half the money, but you'd think they could still get it right.. Oh well.
I did not do the install on the turbo. I took care of finalizing all the fitment and what not.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
read the instructions its says to trim the throttle body boots 1/4" at a time until the airbox clears the hood. I just did a 16 install it fits no problem.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
read the instructions its says to trim the throttle body boots 1/4" at a time until the airbox clears the hood. I just did a 16 install it fits no problem.

There is no room between the intercooler and steering post to trim anything. Are you resting the intercooler right down on the post?
Regardless if you are, I have a quarter inch clearance there. According to my math I cannot get an inch from 1/4...

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
It's possible I've done it easily. Just did it on a carbon fiber hood also. Take some pictures with the hood off and I'll see what you have going. You don't need to trim the hood at all. The only part that needs to be cut is where the intake comes out the hood. Other than that it's all in how you position the boots and the length of the boots.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
It's possible I've done it easily. Just did it on a carbon fiber hood also. Take some pictures with the hood off and I'll see what you have going. You don't need to trim the hood at all. The only part that needs to be cut is where the intake comes out the hood. Other than that it's all in how you position the boots and the length of the boots.

Well hmm.. It's already been cut and trimmed. I had to take all the back of the light plastic off till the actual light bezels are just about resting on the cooler. Thank you for the offer though!

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
When I do my 15 here in a couple weeks I'll take some good pictures for ya. I'm going to do the initial fit with the stock hood and then I'm putting on a mountain fit hood

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

I felt the same way about the clutching, went to the COTC (8fs with Green/White/Green spring and 6mm shims) and that was better but I wanted adjustable weights.

So I went back and ground the bump off the heel of the ramp on the QAY 70 and ground 2 grams off the back of the weight to get to 68 grams total. I have the Barn Of Parts softstart spring (very similar finishing rate as G/W/G but 2600 rpm engagement speed) and 6mm of primary clutch spring shims to raise the finishing rate.

The setup above is perfect for me, around 9000 rpm on 210 setting and around 9600 on 275 setting (I have the EVO flash rev limiter set to 9750). Pulls so much harder mid range and top than before. Turbo hits hard now and as it came I too felt it was lazy. Couldn't be happier now! Came home with forearms wore out like I used to on the 280hp Nytro.

:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks like I might get my sled back this weekend.
New headstuds installed and the ECU has been reflashed.

RIDING at long last...

Well, that was 1 month ago, and it didn't work out as hoped for.
Maybe, just maybe, I will see my sled this weekend at long last.
First year since I have been riding that I got in NO rides in November or December.

What a crazy year..
Hopefully there will be a little snow left for me to play in.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Well, that was 1 month ago, and it didn't work out as hoped for.
Maybe, just maybe, I will see my sled this weekend at long last.
First year since I have been riding that I got in NO rides in November or December.

What a crazy year..
Hopefully there will be a little snow left for me to play in.

If it runs anything like mine has been running you will be a happy boy! And I don't get to try the upper setting yet...!
I must admit, they nailed this setup!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If it runs anything like mine has been running you will be a happy boy! And I don't get to try the upper setting yet...!
I must admit, they nailed this setup!

Its been quite the "Saga".
God Willing, the sled will arrive and be DIALED IN and I can finally get my season started and get some riding in.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Its been quite the "Saga".
God Willing, the sled will arrive and be DIALED IN and I can finally get my season started and get some riding in.

That sucks.... I hope you are correct and it just flat rips!
Besides some fitment issues and needing to tweak the clutching to my taste, it has been completely perfect otherwise. I'm sure the install is a good part of that but, perhaps they had a few adjustments they made during your time getting it installed and finished that I didn't deal with... I'll cross my fingers for you.
Let us know how it runs!

J

Jviper

Sep 20, 2015
Edmonton AB
That sucks.... I hope you are correct and it just flat rips!
Besides some fitment issues and needing to tweak the clutching to my taste, it has been completely perfect otherwise. I'm sure the install is a good part of that but, perhaps they had a few adjustments they made during your time getting it installed and finished that I didn't deal with... I'll cross my fingers for you.
Let us know how it runs!

what clutching changes did you make??

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
what clutching changes did you make??

So far not a lot.
All I've done so far is twist the guts out of the secondary, 9/3 on the stock spring and their helix. And ground some weight off the tip of the daltons they sent.
I will keep adjusting until it perfect but the way it is, it back shifts solid and holds rpm, but still is giving up some up shift in the mid range, and not shifting out all the way.
This is at about the 8-9000' range.
I think it needs more finish on the helix, and a stiffer secondary spring with less twist...
But again as is, it rips. Just leaves a little left for me to try for!

Premium Features