• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Polaris Axys Vrs skidoo T3 ?

R
Nov 22, 2012
I have both not sure which I like better anybody else having this same issue ,I get this is the Polaris form but just wondering what people think that may have both or at least rode both thanks !!

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I have both not sure which I like better anybody else having this same issue ,I get this is the Polaris form but just wondering what people think that may have both or at least rode both thanks !!

You've rode a self destructive axys and lived to tell about it!!!???

Some one get this man a drink!!

Gunk

Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2015
north west Iowa
a friend road a T3 last year, it dives in the front really bad got stuck down hill many times. but up hill, lots of power and traction, i thought my Pro could handle better, time will tell if my new Axys will also

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions, I'm currently on a T3 but would really like to try out an Axys. I think the T3 had a leg up on the pro last year from my companion with my buddies 2015 pro.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Wth lol ok fill me in and sure I could use a drink

He's just another artifact fanboy.

It's simple really. 2008 technology vs 2016 technology.

If skidoo comes out with a new chassis next year the t3 will have a lot of depreciation.

Realistically evaluate your own riding style.

Meadows/wide open spaces?
Sit down hill climbing.
Parking lot wheelies.
Lots of plastic to cover all essential parts.
Weak bulkhead (can get you a decent insurance check) from a 10 mph ski hit.
Vs
Tight trees/steep and deep?
Active riding style/precise lines.
Stripped down lightweight/ high function/ easy to service.
A arms made to fail before the chassis.
I guess i run aftermarket on any sled of mine because i hit chit.

Simple decision just be honest with yourself.
Or be honest and pick the one that ups your game. :)

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My wife had a t3 174 last year. That thing was insane In deep snow for a stock sled. Surprisingly nimble for its size. It had so much track that it didn't slide out like the shorter ones do. Stuffing the front or dragging the fat body or boards didn't bother it because of the extra traction. The only thing I didn't like about it was the rider forward twitchy ness in spring conditions. Awesome sled. Felt like cheating. I just wouldn't want a 174 for all year. A little birdy told me a 163 3 inch axys will out climb it. In a way it's hard to believe and in a way it's easy to believe. The axys won't drag in the snow. That is skidoos biggest downfall. You could feel the t3 174 dragging the boards and body, in deep snow, but you could Crack it open and it had so much traction that it would overpower it. I haven't rode my new axys but you can look at what they've done and tell it's going to make a huge difference. Not sure on a straight up line but something, in the trees, with a few corners in it, where the boards and body drag, will make a huge difference.

Last edited:
R
Nov 22, 2012
Axys

Yes I have not rode my new Axys to say yet which one I like better , I am hearing there is a lot of people who switched from a T3 to the new Axys are changing there front end to the 36 zbroz front end . Guessing so it's narrow like there T3 . Both wicked sleds in my mind I will have a better idea by Christmas thanks for the replies

C
Dec 24, 2014
Obviously, both are awesome sleds, so is the '16 Cat. I think the earlier post about riding priorities was the deciding factor for me. It was nearly impossible to beat the last Pro in the trees. The new one seems more nimble, has WAY better power etc, etc.

I just can not get used to the Doo riding position. The handlebar angle is wrong, there is junk in the footwell, definitely not what I am used to. I did get used to the '14 XM on a demo day, took me an hour or so but I did have fun on it.

Last spring I had the Cat 3", my '14 Pro and my buddies new '15 XM 163 on the snow for a whole weekend. I still, far and away, prefer the Polaris. The Cat had a stronger motor and much better shock package but it is painfully nose heavy and has really wide bodywork, loved the 3" though! Like I mentioned, I just can't easily find my balance on the Doo. On the hard snow the 163 Doo spanked the other two on a couple icy climbs. Otherwise, I wasn't impressed. Rolling it on its side, it is not as stable as the other two, it goes but the balance is tougher. Power felt like the old Pro, adequate but not as exciting as the Cat.

I am loving the Axys, the power feels better than the other two already. The chassis is amazingly nimble. I think it is still the sled the others are trying to be.

I considered the T3 for sure. Lots of my buddies ride Doo, we will have a 154 T3 in the group this year. Just couldn't Doo it though...

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Riding buddy was on a 163 T3 last year, some work done to it, TKI belt drive and some weight taken off. Is on a stock 163x3 axys this year. Is simply amazed at how well it works for a box stock sled. He has no desire to go narrower with the front end, might even put the ski stance back in the neutral position (is set narrow now). Eric

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010

I have a 2015 163 T3 and a 163 Axys 2.6. I rode them both yesterday up the same hills and tried to make sure I had similar lines doing the same maneuvers. I have never really had a hard time switching from one to the other and I make no claims of greatness with my riding ability. Conditions were about 26-30 inches of snow with no base riding at 8200 feet and up.

Also worth noting the T3 has a can and the Axys has SLP pipe/can but factory clutching with 64's for weights.

Here is what I noticed between the two:

-Axys gets up and stays on the snow with very little trenching. I refuse to call it instantaneous lift marketing crap. The etec and the 3 in track compensate well for the T3 here. That said the Axys was noticeably faster up the hill. Excited to get it clutched right.

-I have the Axys on the narrowest setting and I still like the narrower front end of of the T3 better. I notice this most when I want to s-turn going down hill.

-Given the early snow conditions and limited number of hills I am will to risk riding right now we had to ride through each other's lines regularly. The rigid chassis of the pro/Axys is much easier to navigate side hills with trenches as the t-motion can make that scenario a bit more challenging.

Not enough snow to spend too much time in the trees, but I have never really had an issue on either sled in the trees. Not sure I understand everything people talk about here as I have gone places in the trees with the T3 my buddies with 163 pro's were also going with no issues. Maybe just not steep enough to panel out, but honestly just didn't have much issue either way.

I am in a situation that I am fortunate enough to be able to have both sleds and I am glad that I do. They both rip and the new motor in the Axys is promising for sure.

Also worth noting that I went across a stream with rocks/logs 24 different times (12 crossings in and 12 out) on the Axys. Also dug the ski tip in a couple of times and got thrown off the sled. Was sure I had bent a lower a-arm after reading some of the posts. No problems.

Not sure this helps, but in my opinion you can't go wrong with either sled. Never a problem with my T3 (other than being extra diligent on keeping it cool in marginal snow) and my Axys is off to a fantastic start.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you put the doo on a steep enough side hill, that is where the t-motion, flex edge track, and fat boards and body work against you. They will swap out and you feel this close to a yard sale before you get it straightened out. The poo's don't do that.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
If you put the doo on a steep enough side hill, that is where the t-motion, flex edge track, and fat boards and body work against you. They will swap out and you feel this close to a yard sale before you get it straightened out. The poo's don't do that.

You can't make a T3 track/skid flex on cement in the garage, pretty sure it makes no difference on the hill. Body work and boards, yes.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Riding on Concrete doesn't translate to a steep sidehill. My wife had a t3 and we've had an xm and pro's and axys. I've played on sidehills, In The spring , where it was sliding out do to t-motion and flex edge track. Deeper snow would be a combo of everything. If you haven't noticed this then you haven't played on one steep enough. Might think you have but you haven't.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Riding on Concrete doesn't translate to a steep sidehill. My wife had a t3 and we've had an xm and pro's and axys. I've played on sidehills, In The spring , where it was sliding out do to t-motion and flex edge track. Deeper snow would be a combo of everything. If you haven't noticed this then you haven't played on one steep enough. Might think you have but you haven't.

So it'll flex on hard snow, but not concrete? Makes sense. Its washing out because of the chassis. Next time i ride one i'll try sidehilling the side of a building, if thats steep enough for you??? Seriously, pull your T3 over in the garage and take a look.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You are flexing it on a flat level surface with no throttle or forward momentum. You obviously don't get it and me trying to explain it is going nowhere. Go try it and then get back to me. Go off something that makes your butt pucker. Something that makes you think, why did I go off there. Something that you will have a runaway on unless it is on its side and then tell me what you think.
One other question. Have you even rode an xm or t3?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
You are flexing it on a flat level surface with no throttle or forward momentum. You obviously don't get it and me trying to explain it is going nowhere. Go try it and then get back to me. Go off something that makes your butt pucker. Something that makes you think, why did I go off there. Something that you will have a runaway on unless it is on its side and then tell me what you think.
One other question. Have you even rode an xm or t3?

I had a t3 163" last year, Axys this year. I understand what you are saying, i just don't believe its the t motions fault. T motion, to me, is just a marketing gimmik that really does nothing. The chassis, body work, rider postion, etc. seem to have more to do with it than anything, but maybe im wrong. One of my only gripes with that sled was the tendency to wash out and point the nose up hill, i just don't think that can be fixed by deleting the t motion.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I have a T3, the track easily flexes on the concrete and the hole skid is quite floppy with the T-motion, lots of flex. The side panels are an issue can't count how many times I've washed out or had to come out of a sidehill to gain traction as the sled was hanging up. T3 is still a great sled tho, for sure want to through a leg over an axyes this winter they have me interested.

Proride_58640

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2013
Just got back from Cooke City. Let me tell you what we found between the 2.

Skidoo setup 174" tki belt drive with 2.42 gears and bikeman can. 100 miles
8000 rpm 71 mph top speed @8500 ft

Polaris axys 163 2.6" with bikeman can. 50 miles
8200 rpm 73 mph top @8500 ft

Skidoo is softer on rough trails into riding areas the pro is more rigid and stiff and likes to get a bit sideways.

Tree riding is easy on both skidoo tends to be easier to putz around and pick lines and the axys is just about the same just a larger turning radius on flat ground.

Climbing straight up hills axys has the jump but the skidoo pulls right on by.

Carving up hill lines skidoo is easier to lean and change directions, the axys needs a little more help changing directions but sticks to that line. Skidoo with change if over corrected.

Drag racing? Haha not much on that but what we figured out is whoever got the jump won the short race, from a stop and rolling.

Don't forget Cooke city has very marginal snow and not very good testing conditions but we dang sure made it work. Both riders switched sleds and rode for a while.
In conclusion it's all what you like and prefer. I myself came off a 2013 pro with Carl's 900 big bore. At first I missed the raw bottom end punch of the pro now riding the skidoo for 6 rides I love the smooth power and suspension.
Skidoo- soft, smooth, effortless, pull n go, Cadillac
Axys- rigid, stiff, raw power, aggressive,

You the rider have to make the decisions of what you want in a sled. You can have the ice cream but you can't eat it. Have to give and take with all the new sleds these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features