• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any downside to a 1 ton SRW vs 3/4 Ton?

FarmerTimBob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2014
Not to mention if it squats less maybe the Po Po will leave you alone. Got pulled over hauling corn to town, cop said he pulled me over cause the one tire had a heck of a cheek on it. Turns out had a low tire.

bootz1981

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2008
zap, nd
i dont know fords or dodges, this is for GM only!!! there is a diff from 1t to 3/4 not only leaf spring on my 07's the 1 ton has a bigger tranny cooler yes the GVW is higher and there is 1 more crossmember under the box. as to the leafs 1ton to 3/4 ton differ from chevy to GMC

chevy 1 ton----6 thick leafs
chevt 3/4------5 thick leafs

GMC 1 ton----7 thin
GMC 3/4 ton--6 thin

as to my butt the GMC rides better

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
i dont know fords or dodges, this is for GM only!!! there is a diff from 1t to 3/4 not only leaf spring on my 07's the 1 ton has a bigger tranny cooler yes the GVW is higher and there is 1 more crossmember under the box. as to the leafs 1ton to 3/4 ton differ from chevy to GMC

chevy 1 ton----6 thick leafs
chevt 3/4------5 thick leafs

GMC 1 ton----7 thin
GMC 3/4 ton--6 thin

as to my butt the GMC rides better

The OP is looking for a newer truck than an '07. In '11 GM changed the entire chassis and undercarriage, much beefier and larger payloads/towing. Chev & GMC are the same chassis, different body panels, interiors, and wheels (2011-2015).

bootz1981

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2008
zap, nd
they mite be the same chassis but they are not the same leafs , the insulation in the cab is diff chevy uses poly cab mounts and the gmc uses a diff material( i cant think of the damn name).

the new gassers are now DI, i bet where goin to seen some way big steps for power and mileage, so if you want power with out the stink of diesel wait a few more months

Last edited:

FlyingW

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WA
I would say get the SRW 1 ton if you are handling loads at all. We have an '08 1 ton SRW rated at 9900 gvw with six thick leaf springs and '14 1 ton SRW I don't know what it is rated at as the hired man had the door locked has 7 thin springs with 5 together for empty and two overload springs. It has a flatbed and tools so is always weighted down some. We have a '14 3/4 ton that is rated at 10,000 gvw according to the door and has 5 thick springs but is rated higher than the '08 1 ton with 6 thick springs on the rear. The '14 3/4 ton has the tire pressure sensors while the 1 ton doesn't. People around here running Fords are usually buying the 1 tons.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
ON a GM vehicle there is an additional helper spring on the rear end along with a properly valved shock ( same shock, different valving) on the 1 ton, over the 3/4 ton (SRW of course). I always recommend you get a 1 ton SRW over a 3/4 ton. They cost a little more but in most cases a dealer can give you a better deal on a 1 ton than 3/4 ton, at least enough to eat up the additional cost of the 1-ton (it is very minimal).

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
my last 3 chevys I bought new were 3500 SRW for the simple fact the license is $12/ mth vs 500-600 a yr on a new 3/4 to. as far as ride I don't think there is a difference but I have crew cab long boxes.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
my last 3 chevys I bought new were 3500 SRW for the simple fact the license is $12/ mth vs 500-600 a yr on a new 3/4 to. as far as ride I don't think there is a difference but I have crew cab long boxes.

Mine will be the same set-up crew cab long bed, and I agree after test driving a few GMC & Chevy's there is minor if any ride difference between the two empty. The lic. thing is strange here.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Mine will be the same set-up crew cab long bed, and I agree after test driving a few GMC & Chevy's there is minor if any ride difference between the two empty. The lic. thing is strange here.

They will ride the same empty, the difference is that the 3500 has an upper overload that is not engaged unless loaded. You can't beat the ride of a GM truck!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
I run them both, and 3500 is a bit rougher on the new gm over 2500.. the 3500 has a bit more rear tire weight but still squats with big loads..

best I found for pulling is the 2500 or 3500 with airbags.. it levels the load and much smother than either trucks.. with the self leveling, it raise's or lowers it self like big truck's

buddy had a duallie and liked it, but tougher to get rid of

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I will still go on record of saying there is NO difference between the 2500 and 3500 SRW in terms of ride quality.

You do lose tire pressure monitoring on the 3500. In all honesty that is an awesome feature to lose. Sucks having a tow rig where you bring pressures up and down based on your load or being empty. When you drop tire pressures for no load, it will setoff the light on the 2500.
:)

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
I tow a voltage 3990 Rv trailer, we tow it full of water and toys.. Either the 2500 or 3500 were desirable tow vehicle till we put the airbags under them.. Now they as smooth as one can dream.. We put it on the scale last week and front axle was 5600lbs, rear was 7800, and tri was 17900.. We used the 2500 and with bags it was level and handled load very well on the 15 Denali

I will still go on record of saying there is NO difference between the 2500 and 3500 SRW in terms of ride quality.

You do lose tire pressure monitoring on the 3500. In all honesty that is an awesome feature to lose. Sucks having a tow rig where you bring pressures up and down based on your load or being empty. When you drop tire pressures for no load, it will setoff the light on the 2500.
:)

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
I tow a voltage 3990 Rv trailer, we tow it full of water and toys.. Either the 2500 or 3500 were desirable tow vehicle till we put the airbags under them.. Now they as smooth as one can dream.. We put it on the scale last week and front axle was 5600lbs, rear was 7800, and tri was 17900.. We used the 2500 and with bags it was level and handled load very well on the 15 Denali

Unless that truck is a dually I'm thinking those axle weights put you over either an axle rating or the GCVW.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I know plenty of guys that tow even more weight than that and they are doing fine. Sure bags help but they are by no means needed. I'll see if I can track down a photo I have from my parents 3500 SRW. Has about 22,000 of trailer attached to it from a bumper pull. zero issues.

I've seen a 3500 DRW with 35,000 lbs behind it. Not rated at that, but no issues. Depends on the driver, the way the load is setup and you not being an idiot while towing.

Edit... numbers

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Just set up a friends 2015 SRW 1 ton... with the Kelderman 2-Stage Rear Air Suspension. (NOT the 4 link).

The 2-Stage does not add additional capacity... but it did transform night/day the ride of the truck when empty... rides better than most SUV's out there.

He ordered it bare steel and had the local shop clean-up welds and powdercoat to a really high standard... I have the same unit on my 2500HD... and the pow coat from Kelderman went bad in one year.

We both went with the upgraded compressor and added a tank so we have onboard air.

The Kelderman 4-link systems are the best riding/loading setups I've seen...they DO add capacity and also have amazing ride quality... but have a premium price over the 2-stage rear setups. The auto level system works very nicely.

http://kelderman.com/chevy_gm_gmc_silverado_2_stage_rear_air_suspension

https://kelderman.com/silverado_sierra_heavy_duty_4_link_rear_air_suspension_towing

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Just set up a friends 2015 SRW 1 ton... with the Kelderman 2-Stage Rear Air Suspension. (NOT the 4 link).

The 2-Stage does not add additional capacity... but it did transform night/day the ride of the truck when empty... rides better than most SUV's out there.

He ordered it bare steel and had the local shop clean-up welds and powdercoat to a really high standard... I have the same unit on my 2500HD... and the pow coat from Kelderman went bad in one year.

We both went with the upgraded compressor and added a tank so we have onboard air.

The Kelderman 4-link systems are the best riding/loading setups I've seen...they DO add capacity and also have amazing ride quality... but have a premium price over the 2-stage rear setups. The auto level system works very nicely.

http://kelderman.com/chevy_gm_gmc_silverado_2_stage_rear_air_suspension

https://kelderman.com/silverado_sierra_heavy_duty_4_link_rear_air_suspension_towing

Its interesting that you bring this up as I got the chance to ride in a 4-link set-up truck last weekend. His was a Chevy 2015 1 ton SRW and it was smoother then any truck I have ever road in unloaded. He has had this in the last couple trucks and its the first thing that goes in he said. I was very impressed.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.

you have about 5500# of tounge weight with that load

Last edited:

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i have never seen a 5th wheel with that much tongue. provide the specs on a standard 5th wheel to prove me wrong.
if he has a crew cab duramax long box it will weigh about 7700# empty. so doing the math with the figures he gave, he ends up with about 5500# of tongue which seems like a lot to me

Premium Features