• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 regular Pro chaincase - regret not having QD?

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
I know guys on here bought regular 2015 Pros for, among other reasons, the chaincase. Having now ridden it, do you regret not going with the QD?

The 2016 lineup offers a similar decision.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Snow checked a Hybrid RMK last year for my son more for the bulkhead cooler then anything it stays right at 120 all day. Would have liked the quick drive but wasn't going without the extra cooler.

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
I bought a snowcheck rmk with the extra cooler, and chaincase. I bought it for the Extra cooler more than anything. the bonus with the chaincase is way cheaper to gear down, vs $600+ belt drive gear down kits, and chaincase has worked great for 50 years. no regrets for sure. just my opinion.

Rod

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Same for me as above. The extra cooler was the bigger attraction, but I like having the chain case. Proven, sturdy, easy to gear down, etc. To me, my '15 std RMK LE 163 is the perfect sled.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Bought 14 RMK new, second season, had also bought an 11 pro new.

I had the longer fox evol R's that I moved from the 11 to the 14, along with other mods, and I wanted the cooler and none of the 13 issues with QD, driveshafts, carbon tubes, and glued a-arms. I have zero regrets keeping the chaincase, absolutely none, but I also wanted the chance to gear it down from stock. Not taking shots at those with QD, it's worked great for many. I can't tell the difference between them, besides the sound. I do think the +13 QD chassis handled differently, but I think it's shorter front shocks and skid differences. My float setup changes all that anyways. No regrets. FWIW.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
It would be nice to see some real world comparisons done between 2 sleds(identical in set up other than one being equipped with the Q.D. & the other with a chain case).

From what I've seen many opinions being rendered on performance improvement are comparing machines with different tracks, gear ratios, suspension, sets - up, etc. & are subjective in that they refer to how the machine feels as opposed to how it actually performs.

If the difference in how much quicker you can get up on the snow & how much higher you can climb is negligible, where's the benefit?(other than on paper where the virtues of less weight/rotating mass & decreased gyroscopic effect are touted as significant)

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
realized i had to spend $800 to regear my quick drive. could regear a chain case for alot less. realized i could put a belt drive on my chain cased sled for $800......

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
If belt drive was such a dramatic improvement, all of the OEM's would be offering one now. Belt drive is a solution looking for a problem.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
realized i had to spend $800 to regear my quick drive. could regear a chain case for alot less. realized i could put a belt drive on my chain cased sled for $800......

Exactly. I paid $1k less for the sled, I would love to try a belt drive on it, but was afraid of the reliability of the stock one. I also don't like the stock gear ratio on it currently, If I keep this one and don't order a 16, I will toss the idea around of adding TKI belt drive, otherwise it would for sure be getting geared down some for less than $100.

C
Dec 24, 2014
What I know is that there is a broken chaincase thread on the forum right now for all you QD haters:) I am on my second QD Pro and love them, no problems. I am 225 lbs without gear and ride over 10,000 ft. I do not see why you would bother gearing down, both of mine have performed beautifully bone stock.

If I snocheck it will be a 3" chaincase sled, not for the antiquated chaincase but for the track. Just be happy that Polaris gives you so many choices, I do not see anybody else offering so many drivetrain configurations. Get the one that best suits your needs.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
What I know is that there is a broken chaincase thread on the forum right now for all you QD haters:)

Full disclosure - broken chaincase was from a broken driveshaft bolt.

Those of us on poo's unpaid Pro RMK R&D team since 2010 are not haters, just experienced ;). Always tradeoffs, the OP asked a legit question. Choices are good. Buy what you want and need, roll the dice, but if you ride alot, tools will always be required, QD or chaincase.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
No regrets at all with my 15 w/ the chaincase. I can't tell the difference between the beltdrive and the chaincase when I'm riding it besides the sound it makes. The bulkhead cooler was the main attraction, so I wouldn't hesitate to getting a QD pro. All the other perks have already been mentioned as far as cheap gears and option to put a aftermarket belt drive on it... the only thing about the chaincase that I don't like is that if you want to go to 7 tooth drivers, you need to modify the chaincase so the track doesn't rub... that is the only downside imo.

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
I have both a 15 LE and a 15 Pro, the only noticeable differences I've found is that the Pro feels like it jumps off the line instantly and seems to rev faster for the first few seconds compared to the LE. For curiosities sake we've drag raced side by side on everything from hard pack to 2+ft of fresh powder and there is little to no difference other than who got the holeshot, the LE is consistently faster on the top end by a few mph. All in all the Pro feels much more reactive to throttle input

C
Dec 24, 2014
Full disclosure - broken chaincase was from a broken driveshaft bolt.

So a problem similar to many of the QD failures. On the QD, bolts are easy cheap insurance, I have upgraded them on my sled. Beyond that, the tools stay home, and I ride a fair amount. The belts themselves have been very reliable for me, except when you do not break in a '13 belt properly....

Both failures have the same result, a sled you are not riding out under its own power. I left my M7 with an expired DD in the woods for a couple of days and swapped it on the snow. Otherwise tow it out.

Those of us on poo's unpaid Pro RMK R&D team since 2010 are not haters, just experienced ;). Always tradeoffs, the OP asked a legit question. Choices are good. Buy what you want and need, roll the dice, but if you ride alot, tools will always be required, QD or chaincase.

Too many parts needed to fix either failure. Just a belt is easy but I don't bother with a spare because those failures are extremely rare, just like broken chain cases. I just think the snowest QD failure hype is just that, hype. The system works, reliability is no reason to avoid it. If you are a modder, well maybe a chain case works better for you. Stock, I can feel a difference between my Pro and my buddies Assault. He couldn't believe I didn't go buy the same sled as his, I like the Pro better and the QD is part of the reason.

L
Jan 7, 2013
Casper Wyoming
I look at this like its the diesel world, Look at BANKS products, are they the best? 95% of their products are TECHNICALLY the best.. Absolutely proven to be better, even if by only a fraction of a percent. when you are building a 1500 horse drag truck a product that makes 5hp more, or shaves .10 off your 1/4 time makes all the difference. For the other 80% of diesel builders who are happy with a 400 horse tow pig, it doesnt justify spending the extra coin.

Same goes to this argument. If you are THAT worried about a few pounds, you need to be doing some super sick #chrisburandt stuff...

For the average everyday rider i just dont see it as justification. For the majority of the people out there it simply will not make a noticeable change...

Just my opinion

Lomark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2012
Western Washington
2015 155" QD Pro, TKI gear 2.33 gear down kit. If I had it to do all over I would go with the LE for the extra cooler. Over heating in spring like conditions sucks! What was Polaris thinking besides saving a few pounds.
Only 170 miles and so far the only complaint I have!

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
screen_shot_2013-08-13_at_12_30_11_pm.png

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
Love my snow check 15 163 Le RMK. Best of both worlds, extra cooling, reliable. Don't miss my 14 163 pro.All you have to do is look at the new axys sks too see that what we all ordered last year was a major hit.

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
Like others have said, it was the extra cooler that i wanted most when i ordered my 15 std rmk. I didn't notice any difference when riding a belt drive pro, but haven't ridden one enough to say either way. I do like the idea of a belt drive.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I will stay with the QD.

I am just a stock guy. We had two 2011 Pro RMK's and now we have one 2013 Pro and one 2014 Pro. I will stay with the QD if I have a choice in the future too. As others have said it is nice to have a choice. The throttle response is better with the QD in my humble opinion. And if you are out in the back country and break a chain, you are in bad situation. I know, I have been there. And I have been with others that had their chain case spring a leak on more than one occasion. Not so with a belt. Yes we do carry a spare belt. And I have not had an overheating problem ever. :devil:

Premium Features