• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let my scummy friend borrow my car..

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Let my peice of sh!t friend borrow my van about a month ago, got a letter in the mail today saying I owe $250 for a ticket. He knows my birthday and address and told them he was me.

How do I fight this?

How do I burn him for this?

I'm fully prepared to press charges if possible.

He already admitted to getting a ticket and said it must have been a mistake but i'm 110% certain it was not and he said he was me...

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
Nice friend, he sounds like a real peach. I have a few ideas but I better keep them to myself, you would end up in jail if you followed my advice. Baseball bats and brass knuckles, generally aren't part of the recipe you want to advertise on the internet.:face-icon-small-sho

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It sounds to me like the infraction was taken by a traffic camera and just mailed to you. I think the only course of action you have is to "BEAT IT" out of your friend and make a mental note to never let him barrow your car again.<O:p</O:p
I don’t think you can fight it because as far as I know the camera just takes a picture of the license plate and then by records is mailed to the person the car is registered to. You could take him to small claims court and try to convince the judge but it’s pretty much your word against his at that point. It might be an expensive lesson for you to learn<O:p</O:p

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Let my peice of sh!t friend borrow my van about a month ago, got a letter in the mail today saying I owe $250 for a ticket. He knows my birthday and address and told them he was me.

How do I fight this?

How do I burn him for this?

I'm fully prepared to press charges if possible.

He already admitted to getting a ticket and said it must have been a mistake but i'm 110% certain it was not and he said he was me...

I would say you just paid 250 to get him out of your life for good..

R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
My roommate let me borrow his car last month when mine broke down on the way outta town for a long weekend. Yesterday he came home and asked if I'd won the drag race in Washington DC while I had his car. I was so confused.

He then showed me the ticket he'd just got in the mail. Traffic camera had me doing 38 in a 25. $100 fine, no points. Wrote him a check. First ticket I've got in 7+ years. Whoops.

Sorry, no advice from me, just a similar story (without the scumbag part)

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
If it was a traffic cam or red light cam I believe none of those violations are moving violations, IE no points.
So if it was a traffic cam you're only out the $. I've heard of people fighting traffic cams (can't ticket the vehicle, have to ticket the driver, etc, etc) but IMO not worth the hassle.
How to deal with your friend? Tell him to pay up or kick his @ss!

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
I don't recall Twostroke saying anything about a traffic cam. How would you give the camera your name and birthday ?

Ken......

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
If it was a camera ticket you are probably stuck. If it was a citation issued to your freind and he impersonated you that is a crime. Ask for a court date. Go to the courthouse in the jurisdiction where the ticket was written and ask for a photo copy of the original ticket. It should have the officer's name (or ID number) as well as the fake signature your freind used to sign the ticket. Go to the Law Enforcement office the officer who wrote the ticket works out of. Explain the situation and request you wish to file charges on your freind. More than likely the contact that led to the ticket was recorded on a dash cam and can be possibly be reviewed to see who was driving the vehicle when the ticket was written. If you have a picture of your freind bring it for comparison. The officer may remember issuing the ticket and may remember that you were not the one he issued the ticket to. If you do not get anywhere with the Law Enforcement agency you can fight the ticket in court. Be prepared to bring several documents with your signature on it for comparison (a notorized document would be best). If you could not obtain a copy of the ticket the Judge should have the original in front of him at trial. If you hire an attorney they can request the video as discovery prior to trial. If there was a dash cam video Chances are high it was brought to court for evidence. Also in the beginning of the trial the officer issuing the ticket has to be able to identify the person he had stopped and ticketed.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Do people really pay traffic cam tickets? Here in co they have no authority to do anything to you.., so no point in paying them. Not like that other places I'm guessing?

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Have you even told him to pay it yet? I'd say if that breaks down then go for the beat down option. I hate friends who screw you with money n chit. I borrowed a friend 130$ last year and I'll never see that money again. I probably wont see him either so its a cheap way to get rid of a bad influence I guess...

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Traffic cam? Generally they can ID the driver and you can tell that it's not you. Dismissed.

I got one once in Denver. Mechanic ran a red light, my wife got mailed a ticket. All I had to do was call and tell them, "Does the driver look female?" They said no. end of story

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
OK, seriously, this one is easy.

They send you a picture of the offense.....send them a picture of $250

Premium Features