• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you for it, Pro vs M8-PC, should cat make the changes

would you like to see the changes listed.

• Yes, I would like to see the changes made or at least an option

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • No, I like it how it is

Votes: 19 12.1%

• Total voters
K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Some items needed for Suz/Pol transplant--

engine
fuel system
ecu
exhaust
motor mounts
adequate cooling system

To Do--

motor mounting
exhaust fitment
intake fitment

--Alternative--

RKT big bore or RKT drop in kit or RKT drop in kit and turbo for Pol 800
BD box
turn up oil pump

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com

engine
fuel system
ecu
exhaust
motor mounts
adequate cooling system

To Do--

motor mounting
exhaust fitment
intake fitment

--Alternative--

BD box
turn up oil pump

the ECU, injectors, wiring harness's ect are part of the reason the suzukis are more reliable.......

-Aksnopro

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
You would easily think cat with that said, But what happens when you have to make a steep decent the cat wont make but the pro will in a way you can lay it over and sidehill your way around objects and maintain speed. So what good is the cat when you could be looking at.

Insurance claim
injury
pro guys laughing
ruined trip
etc....

kinda takes the 95% of what cat does better and makes that 5% worth 100%.

I do what my grandma told me and take another way down or slip some old belts over the skis. Besides, the Cat front suspension will take the hits on the way down so you won't have to think about turning out so soon.:sun:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I do what my grandma told me and take another way down or slip some old belts over the skis. Besides, the Cat front suspension will take the hits on the way down so you won't have to think about turning out so soon.:sun:

From what I have seen they both have strong points and weaknesses when it comes to taking on the trees.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007

engine
fuel system
ecu
exhaust
motor mounts
adequate cooling system

To Do--

motor mounting
exhaust fitment
intake fitment

--Alternative--

BD box
turn up oil pump

Now whats it going to take to make it sub 400lbs like the pro, WRK did it and I think it was around $8-30k.

With the pro you start light and add a little weight but huge power potential, the cat you start with power but where do you loose enough and it takes a pile of money to make it handle like the pro.

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Huge power potential??

skinnier running boards and some tighter steering isnt a pile of money. Thats cheaper then a single pipe for the pro rmk would be.

??

My 130 pound *** dont see the weight being an issue either, i dont have to add anything to beef it up. Slapped a can that saved 15 pounds took off ice scratchers, several bogies im Already down 20 pounds for 350.

Mine being the hcr, (lighter then the sno pro by several pounds) i bet im within 10 pounds of a pro rmk....

With a reliable motor and beefy chassis out the door the hcr is a better out of the box sled for my style.

-Aksnopro

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
I've got a list of weight reduction items I'm considering and I'm showing a weight, with no fuel, knocking on 385 lbs for $8k or so.

By SnoWests figures that would put the Cat at 70 lbs lighter than the 2012 Poo wet. With at least 10 more reliable hp.

Add to that that I can do the steering fix for free, drop the skid for free, and that the weight drop includes going narrow stance, we're most of the way to addressing extreme sidehilling and enhancing the advantages it already has over the Poo. Oh, and the weight loss included a new skid too.

What I don't include was gas and beer money to ship it to Wyo to narrow it. Lol

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
I've got a list of weight reduction items I'm considering and I'm showing a weight, with no fuel, knocking on 385 lbs for $8k or so.

By SnoWests figures that would put the Cat at 70 lbs lighter than the 2012 Poo wet. With at least 10 more reliable hp.

Add to that that I can do the steering fix for free, drop the skid for free, and that the weight drop includes going narrow stance, we're most of the way to addressing extreme sidehilling and enhancing the advantages it already has over the Poo. Oh, and the weight loss included a new skid too.

What I don't include was gas and beer money to ship it to Wyo to narrow it. Lol

i was looking at my sled the other day, couldnt a guy just cut down the stock standing rails on each side and slap the outside trim/grip rail back on?

-Aksnopro

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
i was looking at my sled the other day, couldnt a guy just cut down the stock standing rails on each side and slap the outside trim/grip rail back on?

-Aksnopro

The weight I'm talking of is on the '13 pro

Its not quite that simple to skinny it up, cutting it down like that would put you into the holes in the running boards and loose strength, then you have to change the kick up and the front mounts(which is easy)
change those then add a strong insert and it would prob work.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Now whats it going to take to make it sub 400lbs like the pro, WRK did it and I think it was around $8-30k.

With the pro you start light and add a little weight but huge power potential, the cat you start with power but where do you loose enough and it takes a pile of money to make it handle like the pro.

--That is what I meant by listing the alternative option. Take a stock Pro and add an RKT kit of choice and turn up the oil pump.

--You could probably sell yours, buy a barely used 2011 - 2012 Pro and install a RKT kit for the price of a new 2013 Pro

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
--That is what I meant by listing the alternative option. Take a stock Pro and add an RKT kit of choice and turn up the oil pump.

--You could probably sell yours, buy a barely used 2011 - 2012 Pro and install a RKT kit for the price of a new 2013 Pro

That doesn't fix the crank issue or the back dated engine design

J

jake432

Sep 25, 2010
Twin Cities, Minnesota
You would easily think cat with that said, But what happens when you have to make a steep decent the cat wont make but the pro will in a way you can lay it over and sidehill your way around objects and maintain speed. So what good is the cat when you could be looking at.

Insurance claim
injury
pro guys laughing
ruined trip
etc....

kinda takes the 95% of what cat does better and makes that 5% worth 100%.
you could do the same on a cat you just have to be a rider

J

jake432

Sep 25, 2010
Twin Cities, Minnesota
No you can't (not on a stock PC), and I'll put money on it. There are facts involved weather you like or not.

Wyo giv it to a pro backcountry rider and yea mayb they'll complain aboit it but i bet they can ride it where they say u cant. Uve got it to much in ur head that this is a 1976 el tigre, this is a full blown m800 it will do whatever u hav the ability too just like a yamaha nytro now mayb sleds dont do some stuff as good as others but it will do it!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wyo giv it to a pro backcountry rider and yea mayb they'll complain aboit it but i bet they can ride it where they say u cant. Uve got it to much in ur head that this is a 1976 el tigre, this is a full blown m800 it will do whatever u hav the ability too just like a yamaha nytro now mayb sleds dont do some stuff as good as others but it will do it!

Why does Bret ras agree with me. I can take my sled, or a pro and take a line, then follow it on mine or a pro. and who ever is on the stock PC will not be able to take that line, maybe another line and it will be a fight.
I am a backcountry rider, and when you get Bret Ras to tell me otherwise I will give you a 50/50.
But like I've said, how would you know, I have proven it and the only one that has made the change and know the difference.
I can make the stock PC do more than others on pro's thus far. But that is not enough for me.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Why does Bret ras agree with me. I can take my sled, or a pro and take a line, then follow it on mine or a pro. and who ever is on the stock PC will not be able to take that line, maybe another line and it will be a fight.
I am a backcountry rider, and when you get Bret Ras to tell me otherwise I will give you a 50/50.
But like I've said, how would you know, I have proven it and the only one that has made the change and know the difference.
I can make the stock PC do more than others on pro's thus far. But that is not enough for me.

this sled has opened up more terrain then its cut off to me, and thats no joke.

but i still agree with you anything you can do to make the balance point more linear will help you be more predicable anywhere and i think thats what you did.

i know i could follow you wyo, but dont doubt i would fight more doing it. the balance/washout point is a fine line that took me 500 miles to figure out with confidence.

anything you can do to make that washout/points up hill point not so quick of a decision or balance point then your making it easier on yourself.

this proclimb has got me hopping back n forth faster then i ever have cause i know i have to be on top of it, and it will washout if your not on it....

-Aksnopro

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
i know i could follow you wyo, but dont doubt i would fight more doing it. the balance/washout point is a fine line that took me 500 miles to figure out with confidence.

-Aksnopro

It took me a few miles to hit the limits after making mine steer sharper, (which is a huge factor alone) I was even rocking the sled down on a sidehill to gain traction and just before loosing it jerking it back up and then back down again. I have a lot more reach and weight to accomplish doing things smaller guys can't (no offense but is it easier for me than it would be for you) when it comes to man handling it and you have the advantage of being light. Being light helps you in the up hill, and not anywhere else.
If we got together and you wanted to prove it I would find some more setup snow where paneling out would show up real quick then I would drop down something close to 60* angle and cut across it, no line would be straight and it in the trees, going up and down. You might be able to hold on a 45* and thats a maybe but not like my sled would.
You guys keep arguing with me but really know, I'm not trying to brag or say I'm the best. I just know the difference and it is huge, even in deep snow where its less apparent my sled will pick up speed a lot faster because there is no drag. You can even see it in the tracks, mine cuts where the track is then there is a gap, then the ski track. The stocker, wipes out everything from dragging on its side. Also the stocker runs WOT and you have to work it back and forth to keep going (in a up hill even which is easier) Mine I blip the throttle and at anytime can cut up through the other tracks and keep pulling. The difference is huge!!!!

I know you are trying to hold onto the fact you can do anything, which I support fully, no matter who you are anything is possible. FYI, I have the same mentality, so your going to have to prove it because I already have.

Ask yourself this, have you ever had it on a hill steep enough it panels out and drags so hard you can run on a steeper hill. Now think, my sled is 2" narrower on each side, and I have had it on hills steep enough that is has paneled out and tried throwing me down hill and it took everything I had to jerk it back into the hill which nearly forces a wash out that I then recover and continue going. Its simple geometry and physics, mine will do more no matter who you are.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--So basically wyoboy most likely could not keep up with aksnopro if they switched sleds

--How much difference does the kmod make on a stock width sled when sidehilling

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
--So basically wyoboy most likely could not keep up with aksnopro if they switched sleds

--How much difference does the kmod make on a stock width sled when sidehilling

If he got on my sled and knows how to ride it, I could not follow it on a stocker. If he intentionally went where stocker can't and I tried to follow, it would prob turn out bad.

The kmod on a non boosted sled help to keep going, if it washes out you can usually recover a stocker but not always. With it skinny you can almost always recover and when you cross tracks you don't even know they are there.

Premium Features