• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So, anyone blow an 084 yet?

A
Nov 6, 2010
Wasilla, AK
Just curious if anyone has some miles on there 084 yet? And has anyone with prior issues, had there problems solved by slapping this belt on and getting all the updates done?

Been reading some rpm drop and clutch temp drops but anyone with isssues get there problem solved?

-Aksnopro

Still haven't got mine yet...........

However out at Eureka yesterday I blew my first belt. From the sounds of me getting 280 miles off my original belt is somewhat of a miracle ;)

The motor rebuild they completed seems to be a huge improvement and has me convinced that this motor was defective from the factory. Anyhoo........let me know when you get your belt or I'll do the same.

akweasel

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
70 miles on my 084 lost rpm till broke in, i think it lost a little off the bottom from the stiffer duro but once broke in felt pretty banked 8150 and held 8100 on steep hard pulls.

a6cd8c59-fad0-5781.jpg

a6cd8c59-faeb-ff83.jpg

a6cd8c59-fb0b-7f53.jpg

MR MOOSE

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2008
Gods country B.C. !
My uncle put one on Saturday and made about 3/4 of the days ride before it blew, not gonna say it was broke in properly but ah well

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
My riding buddy blew his 084 yesterday 150 miles. I almost know mine is going to blow too if his did, we were having the same issue. :( we will see though.

-Aksnopro

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
Really sorry to hear that, but, not unexpected by some though. We have seen this kind of "band aid" before. The real fix will show up next fall when you bring your sled in for the latest updates and a year of extra warranty. Maybe we should call it a "time buyer" instead!

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
So this is cats fix. Still no belt warranty and now instead of buying a 125 dollar belt we get to buy a $200 belt every second day. Can someone tell me how this is supposed to make me feel. I think the accounts came up this this up date.

R

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Oct 28, 2010
Swift Current,SK
They still make the 083 belt. Run it if you don't want to run the 084 and spend the extra money. Haven't had any problems yet so I will keep running the 083.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
I don't get why cat isn't trying different sec, or primarys on problem machines???

Its like they know it wont fix it so they wont try it.

We will see though im gonna put some hard miles on this weekend and do some temperature testing.

If the team secondary is working for people wouldn't that kind of point at the secondary?

You think they would check motor alignment or anything but shug and try an sell you a belt...

-Aksnopro

MURFDOG

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2008
I wonder if Curt at fastrax has tried his p85 setup on the Proclimb? would be real iterested in the results.

M
Feb 11, 2009
Had 750 miles on my 083. I blew it at high speed on a trail. Put the 084 on and blew it in 10 miles. Probably partially due to not breaking it in properly.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
If a bet blows in 10 miles its not from improper break in. Its a defective belt or you went faster then the clutches support and pulled it into the bottom of the secondary.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Blew the 084 in less than 150miles, the 083 lasted longer.

The fix, buy a pro.
why are we fixing our own chit and cat is not even trying to warranty a problem, yet give us an extra year, that does nothing to fix a problem.

Why can yami provide a $60 belt that last under 350hp.

Last edited:
K

Kbakbmr

Nov 28, 2009
Palmer, AK
So if the belt is pulling to the bottom of the secondary would a stiffer secondary spring take care of that problem?

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Kbak do you have the orange spring in your secondary? wyo, sucks man.

m thinking about trying my 10 M primary, i have heard the sheave angles are different but whats the worst that will happen i blow a belt? lol i honestly cant say mine isnt fixed till this weekend but it sure isnt looking good.

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
When the 84 blows does it go into a million pieces like the 83??

My 84 is running hotter than my 83 did but takes longer to get hot. Definately feels stickier (then the 83) when hot and causing some rpm issues for me.

I'm trying some clutching changes for the next couple of days (starting with less weight in the front and softer spring in the rear).
I'll give it 3 more days then I'll go back to the 83 that lives if i baby it (lots of "cruise-it" time to let the left foot cool down) but works consistant for me.

Then I'll go back to letting "THE LIE" bother me.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
On mine the 084 never saw 60mph, some trail riding but not hard and then the rest tree riding for the most part. It half way went to pieces but I kinda caught it and let off so about half of it blew apart, just like one of my 083's.

What good is a warranty that doesn't warranty a problem.

I am going to demand AC covers more than 1 of my blown belts, if they will I will dig in and try to fix it, if not it may be for sale. I have already spent enough time make the sled a capable sled so I don't have the patients to fix a stocker.

B
Nov 22, 2011
Montana
084 belt issue fix...

Causes for continuous grenading of belts...

1. Engine Mounts not tightened
2. Clutching alignment off

These two are the main issues, if you rode long enough you will start to show some wear on your drive clutch. The one issue our shop had with a unit blowing belts was fixed by warranty covered clutch replacement. Sled rides with out complaint now...

Log your belts blowing and take to dealer. 0627-084 is not the fix, do all the factory mandated updates and in the rare case the Primary will need to be replaced.

-:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features