• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TM8 wont run..need HELP fellaz

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
Alright so here is what happened, picked up the sled on wednesday, took to the black hills for the weekend. Rode for a few hours on saturday and it ran great, slight low end bog but nothing a little tuning cant take care of. Went back to my truck at the parking lot and sled would not start back up! Pulled the plugs, all were black and wet, put new plugs in and she fired right up! Got back home and went for a little ride maybe an hour or so, was just bombing through the drifts nearby my house and all of a sudden the sled just quits. Pulled a few times and it would fire but then bog down to what sounded like only one cylinder, then die. Got the sled back to my shop, replaced plugs again, and all it'll do is fire once then die. FYI my cylinders and pistons look great, EGT's only got to 1130 on the whole ride!

Sled is an 09 M8 SP, boonie pumper, no intercooler, and EBC

My Elevation at home is around 3000ft and i was running 50/50 mix of av and premium @ 4.5lbs of boost.

HELP PLEASE

MtSnodawg

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Butte, Mt.
Check connections

Have seen this happen before. Moisture in the wire connections to ECU. Unplug, clean and dry, use Dialectric grease when plugging back in.

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
after going through connectors this afternoon i found moisture in the ECU harness plugs. i blew them out and tried to start it, it fired up, backfired and died right away. Im guessing there is still some moisture inside of them so i unplugged them to dry overnight. Ill plug them in when i get off work in the morning, also using a little dielectric grease. Hopefully problem will be solved! FINGERS CROSSED

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
well that didn't work. Went through all connections this morning and still will not start! what else should i try?

S

snowhound82

Jan 22, 2009
Arlee, mt
A Thought?

If your plugs were black and soaking wet the first time this happened, this sounds like the ECU is sending false signals to the injectors "allowing to much fuel". My experience in the past is if moisture gets into any of the electrical components on a turbo'd system "which is already drawing a sh$t load more amps off the stator", it instantly begins to affect the ECU. Once they start to melt down on the inside you'll start having weired symtems like this. Not throwing a worst case senerio at you, but you may want to start looking at the ECU first. I just went through darn near the exact same thing about 6 weeks ago on my turbo'd sled, "Cause": water in the electrical and a fried ECU. Didn't you just buy that sled? I thought I remember seeing you looking for a used turbo a few weeks ago. Oh yeah, and when the ECU begins to go you'll loose your spark.

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
Ya im kinda leaning towards the ECU :( Yes i did just buy the sled. Picked it up last wednesday. It was a local sled and was put together by Jeff at Dakota Performance, thats why i went with this one so i have semi local support. The sled was in Jeffs shop the same day i picked it up for a new boondocker box. The other one failed. He rode it for a few hours and had it all tuned in, however ive only got about 20-30 miles on it and it wont do sh@t now! Also i did check each plug and i do have spark, but no fire?

H

HCM

Jan 12, 2010
fuel pump take a dump if you have fire it should run if you have fuel, or your box is bad unplug it and see if it runs with out it don't go ripping around on it but just see if it runs so you know what you are looking for.

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
HCM- I tested the fuel pump and all that jive, took the box out of the picture, and as of yesterday i got nowhere!

However, this morning i got home from work i started testing other things. Unplugged harness to the bars and she fired up, ran for a few seconds then died! plugged harness back in and same thing. Held the flipper wfo pulled the rope and fired right up! YAY.... but it wont idle worth a sh*t, sounds like one cylinder, spits, sputters, backfires and dies! I was talking to Dakota Performance at this time and we came to the conclusion that its the reeds judging by what its doing!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
You've checked for spark, right?

Reason I ask is because mine has been doing the same thing latley but it never used to before I put the additional fuel rail on.

It's flooding itself out somehow and I can't figure out why other than I have a setting in the box wrong somewhere probably.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
Tm8

Which cylinder are you guys losing,

About 10 miles into a ride today, I my mag side started fouling.

Just rode my backup the rest of the day, before I headed down changed plugs in the mag side. And took a quick ride up the trail, seemed to run better.

Pretty sure the problem is not the reeds, installed some tdr's a few rides ago.
The reeds I took out looked perfect. This is the second time I have had this problem.

Sure glad I have a back up. thought I had it fixed.

My sled is a 09 m8 with a pg bd.

I think there are several us having the same problem.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah I checked my reeds yesterday and they looked perfect as well.

For some reason I'm still getting the varying idle too .. but it doesn't do it all the time. Some times itll hold 1600-1700 flat sometimes it will be down to 1500 then up to 2000 etc :(

I think its gotta be the BD box myself, I can't see what else mechanically could be causing this I haven't gone through yet.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Make sure the baro tube is clear, it really messes with turbos if plugged, whats your fuel pressure. If it is loading up and dieing you should try removing fuel on the bd box at low rpm levels. not just 1 point but 3 at a time until it runs then fine tune it. this is what sucks about bd kits they have to be played with. Also there is a tube that runs from the charge tube into the gas tank, it should be connected to the fuel pressure regulator and if it comes off or get a hole in it it will drive you nuts, prob not the problem but worth checking.

FYI, you can't look at reeds and say they look good, reeds loose there tension and can cause problems, they should hold tight against the reed cage and if lifted snap back down.

Other possibilities are the pipe sensor, of they are on there way it can do weird stuff and it can take 3-4 rides before its bad enough to throw a code. Depending on the boost level you may be running to much octane.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
TM8

My idle is also is high, takes longer than normal to settle down.

I will try taking away fuel down low.

Don't make sense with just one cylinder fouling.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
High idle usually means lean??? The only time my sleds have gone to one cylinder is in a rich condition, lean it out and it runs. Barometric pressure changes with every storm and can make these run a tiny bit richer but its enough to make them foul. Especially if you where running it pretty rich to start with.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Make sure the baro tube is clear, it really messes with turbos if plugged, whats your fuel pressure. If it is loading up and dieing you should try removing fuel on the bd box at low rpm levels. not just 1 point but 3 at a time until it runs then fine tune it. this is what sucks about bd kits they have to be played with. Also there is a tube that runs from the charge tube into the gas tank, it should be connected to the fuel pressure regulator and if it comes off or get a hole in it it will drive you nuts, prob not the problem but worth checking.

FYI, you can't look at reeds and say they look good, reeds loose there tension and can cause problems, they should hold tight against the reed cage and if lifted snap back down.

Other possibilities are the pipe sensor, of they are on there way it can do weird stuff and it can take 3-4 rides before its bad enough to throw a code. Depending on the boost level you may be running to much octane.

Already replaced the poly line to the FPR from the charge tube for good measure. I'm sure that isn't leaking.

Reeds snap back against the cage just fine.

Pretty sure the baro tube is clear, but I will double check it.

Its probably just something in the box. I'll dink with it tomorrow and see what happens.

S

snowhound82

Jan 22, 2009
Arlee, mt
Save yourself the headache of going through everything except the harnesses, take the ECU out of the sled and test it in another and see if it's doing the same thing as it's doing in your's. Sounds like you've already spent a fair amount of time trying to pin point the issue, but from my experience it's even more frustrating we you find out it was something you were looking at the hole time.

Premium Features