• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DO NOT BUY A CAMOPLAST EXTREME TRACK!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It just seems with the lugs getting longer and longer the tracks just are not holding up, I am thinking about the 3 inch next year, but I am sure it will do the same thing.

This is totally correct. The longer paddles cause the track to run hotter and eventually can overheat going down the hardpack trails. I ride with an infared temp gun, had to prove it to those guys who like to speed on the hardpack. I'm not saying this is the cause for these particular cases of delam. This is the reason the tall lug long tracks have speed ratings. I laugh when I see guys blazing down the trails at 60-70 with these newer tracks...

Ski scratchers along with your rail scratchers can only help.

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
longer lugs...

sounds like some re-engineering needs to be done to integrate the kevlar up into the paddles to help keep from separating so easily, also the compound of the rubber could be off a little bit and be a bit brittle which could be addressed also. i have run many camo extremes with no problems other than user error. but with the H.P. and track speeds produced these days the tracks will need to be updated just like everything else. hopefully camoplast will address these issues and build a better product for all of us in the future.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
Always buy Camoplast Tracks through TracksUSA. Bruce is great to work with and I am sure he would take care of you if a warranty is warranted.

Bought 2 162x2.5x15 camo tracks 2+ years ago from tracksusa. One came defective but I didn't notice it till it was on the sled. Had about 7 center paddles in a row with 2" splits crossways at the base. Called them up and right from the get go it was a line of sheet a mile long. Long story short, I ate it.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
ha im on my 3rd 3 inch 162 this year . i m not sure what they'll say about warranty but ill see i guess. i heard a rumor that they had a bad batch of 3 inch tracks . i wonder if the sames true with the 2.5 inch track . im dealing with tracks Canada and they've been great about the problems . ha i even did an clip on snow goer tv this winter talking about how i love my 3 inch track . i ve since changed my mind and am tired of the crappy products they make :face-icon-small-dis. with all that thought they have a monopoly on the market and ill buy another next fall :face-icon-small-fro

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
not many options as i see it ,,

make your own track or buy thiers ..

maybe just stay away from the non OE tracks.. that said i hope i dont have a problem with my 2.5

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Just talked to Kieth I think it is, at tracks canada, asked him about the problems, and he said it's only on the 3 inch paddle tracks?

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Six seasons and 5000 hard miles on my 162x16x2.5 CE. Chewed over uncounted rocks and stumps. Only one partial lug missing. It doesn't look new but is still working great. They must have been making a lot of tracks on Mondays lately.

TRACKS USA

Premium Member
Mar 19, 2010
Lake Lillian, Mn 56253
www.tracksusa.com
Camoplast Warranty

Hello to customers and all:
Just a note to relate the rules of Camoplast warranty--EXPLAINED IN THE WARRANTY SHEET ENCLOSED WITH EVERY NEW CAMOPLAST TRACK.

* For warranty evaluation, the track needs to make the trip it made to the consumer in reverse.*

1. Track needs to be returned to selling dealer at consumers expense.
2. Dealer(at his expense--he made a profit on it did he not?) returns track to the distributor. In this case Western Power Sports.
3. Distributor (Western Power Sports in this case--at their expense) sends track back to Camoplast factory--Plattsburgh, New York. I have never heard of a track being send to a depot in Michigan--any I have ever had contact with go to Plattsburgh.
4. Camoplast evaluates the track and then either awards or denies warranty and if awarded then credits the distributor who in turn credits the dealer.
It is just like the Army--chain of command. Don't try to skip a link because it will not work.
Camoplast will at times issue a preliminary opinion based upon photos but in all cases the track has to go back to New York for final approval.
It is a slow process--2-3 months is not unusual.
My experience is that the Camoplast verdict is usually very fair. Rarely do we get a legitimate claim denied.

Quoting the original thread author: " The few miles on this track were all on the trail family riding as I was breaking in a new sled".

THE CHALLENGER EXTREME OR ANY OTHER MOUNTAIN TRACK IS NOT DESIGNED OR INTENDED FOR TRAIL USE. Trail use subjects the track to many stress factors outside the design intensions. If you want to go trail riding better to get a touring sled with a lower lug track. You don't run marathons with high heel shoes and the same applies to snowmobile tracks.

Thanks to all

Bruce V.
TRACKS USA

I will make a separate post relating to product quality-strength-failure.

Last edited:
D
Jan 31, 2008
If only we could get to our favorite riding places without riding on the trail. We all would like that, so whether or not we are on the trail with family or on the trail getting to the high country these tracks should hold up for what we have to pay for them. If they don't then you need to back up your product, no questions asked. I was looking at putting this track on my xp but after the remarks on this post won't now. I don't want to be the next one out $800.00 after a few rides because the track came apart.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
I think many have lost sight of what these tracks are intended for? Not saying that some problems are or are not a case of manufacturing flaws. These tracks are for riding in the DEEP fluff. They won't take a hit from a rock,stump, log etc. as well as a 2" will. I am merely speculating using some common sense in stating that trails have to wreak havoc on them at higher speeds. There is a whole lot of paddle that is getting flexed a long ways. Not much of a stretch to compare a 1/2" paddle to a 2" paddle riding on pavement durability wise. Yes, for most of us we have to ride trails to get to the deep stuff. I myself don't blast down these hardpacked trails at high speed as the 'old' bones don't take the abuse much anymore.lol I haven't had any problems with my 2-1/4" camo on my modded 800 edge or my 2-1/2" on my turbo dragon except for whacking some stumps and rocks which resulted in some slightly torn lugs. Hit a rock this season with the turbo at 60mph track speed that knocked me at least 10' to the side of my line and only ripped a couple paddles a little bit. The paddles are still ok and functioning. The hit was the type that makes you just know that there are paddles gone and rails messed up, not the case(thanks ICE-AGE for some tuff rails). So I guess to state that Camoplast tracks are less than acceptable across the board is an injustice as to my experience with them goes. I am not bashful to say that I abuse my stuff a little bit, and my tracks are holding up for what they are intended to do(and then some).:face-icon-small-sho
No doubt that there is going to be the occasional 'bad' track slip through production and I trust they should be able to tell what is damage and what is flawed as we are trusted in telling the full story when a warranty issue comes forth.:face-icon-small-blu
Jumping through the hoops does suck, but if they stuck there neck out all the time on trust I think they would go belly up in a short time(they probably went down that road before). There are a lot of things that can stress a track that goes unnoticed to the rider which can lead to a 'malfunction' at that time or at a later date. It is one of those sucky deals when it does happen as with many mods, the 'advantage' out weighs the 'risk' type of a deal. Although I would think that it should take no longer than a couple weeks to get the 'ya' or 'nay' on a claim on a track from start to finish with the up most in help getting there from the point of purchase(customer service thing).

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
"THE CHALLENGER EXTREME OR ANY OTHER MOUNTAIN TRACK IS NOT DESIGNED OR INTENDED FOR TRAIL USE. Trail use subjects the track to many stress factors outside the design intensions. If you want to go trail riding better to get a touring sled with a lower lug track. You don't run marathons with high heel shoes and the same applies to snowmobile tracks"

This is a moronic statement - how many people can off-load at a sno-park and go straight to powder or up a mountain. They are designed for backcountry abuse but can not handle the 10-mile trail-ride to get there???

H
Nov 26, 2007
Close to Mountains
"This is a moronic statement - how many people can off-load at a sno-park and go straight to powder or up a mountain. They are designed for backcountry abuse but can not handle the 10-mile trail-ride to get there??? "

TNTCOPP: Look past the words and look at the intent of the statement you replied to.
The point is running "fast" on a groomed trail with a 2.5 or 3.0 paddle track is not what they were designed for. Riding the trail to your favorite ridding area at speeds less than "mach chicken" can be done using ice scratchers or stopping to kick snow into the skid to help with cooling. Peeps who do this never have problems with their Camo Extremes.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I have had the 162"Challenger Extreme on my M1000 for the past two seasons.
IMO it is the best mountain track out there.It hooks up,it will dig to base and is great for braking down steep hills.
The only problem I have had with mine is I ripped one paddle off,very first ride.I hit a rock on a climb.
That was my fault though,it was the first ride of the season on a fresh Linderman built motor and I had to try a few,or shall I say a lot of climbs with it,mind you it was only Oct.16th.
With my new project,it will be getting a CE 174".:face-icon-small-hap

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
My stock challanger on my 07 would loose lugs if I hit anything at all, My 09 with the power claw should be destroyed, I have hit thing that made me and everyone else cringe(rocks, stumps, cut through tree branches and worse) and have not lost a lug yet(2000 miles). Unbelievable in my opinion, but it feels more like a 65 duromiter track now. Maybe its time to figure out the new technology and put it in the CE

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
These tracks should be looked at like a tire on a dragster... an expendable, purpose built tool to get some extreme work done outside of what a consumer offering can provide... In the conditions that we are running these tracks in, the Horsepower and speed that we are getting out of these sleds... don't compare them to the the durablilty track on your 2000 Mountain Max/Summit/SKS/Powder Special. With the loads todays sleds are putting on these tracks..they are actually more durable than Your ole 1.5" paddle.

If you cram 200+ HP into a track and generate 90mph track speeds in the fluff and hit a hard ice chunk, stump or rock... you will loose paddles... If you don't like this, get a shorter lug track that is not so stiff... YES your performance will drop, but your track will last longer and be more durable.

If you must have the higher performance that the tall lug tracks will give you... accept the shorter life of the track... you can't have both, IMO.

Proper tension (not too loose) on these tall lug tracks will give your sled better performance and longer track life as well.

There are some defective tracks just like there are defective computers, tires, snap-on tools ... you name it... But for the most part, Camoplast builds a very high quality product.

If you have a turbo Nitro and are running the 3" lug, well, you should expect to putt along on the trail at 30mph max with scratchers down and expect that these stiff & Tall lugs with all the leverage they can put on the belting will shed some paddles when you are climbing the gnarly chute... or boondocking and snag a rock or ice chunk. ... you should expect this.... and to a certain degree, you should expect this with the 2.5" Extreme if you abuse it with high speeds and/or run over stuff at on a 250-hp+ pull with 80mph track speeds...

The damage to a track that sheds a paddle probably happened earlier in the day/week/month/season.
... From that high speed run back to the cabin/trailer or a that 300 ft long sheet of ice we barely make it up fully pinned WFO. The heat that builds up INSIDE the rubber at the root of the paddle is what starts the process of delamination...this heat occurs because the paddle is forced to bend too much at the root ...from the heat of high speeds... in marginal snow... back and forth, like breaking a paper clip by wiggling it back and forth (different physics, I know... but the visual is what I'm going for here)

Last edited:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Hello to customers and all:
Just a note to relate the rules of Camoplast warranty--EXPLAINED IN THE WARRANTY SHEET ENCLOSED WITH EVERY NEW CAMOPLAST TRACK.

* For warranty evaluation, the track needs to make the trip it made to the consumer in reverse.*

1. Track needs to be returned to selling dealer at consumers expense.
2. Dealer(at his expense--he made a profit on it did he not?) returns track to the distributor. In this case Western Power Sports.
3. Distributor (Western Power Sports in this case--at their expense) sends track back to Camoplast factory--Plattsburgh, New York. I have never heard of a track being send to a depot in Michigan--any I have ever had contact with go to Plattsburgh.
4. Camoplast evaluates the track and then either awards or denies warranty and if awarded then credits the distributor who in turn credits the dealer.
It is just like the Army--chain of command. Don't try to skip a link because it will not work.
Camoplast will at times issue a preliminary opinion based upon photos but in all cases the track has to go back to New York for final approval.
It is a slow process--2-3 months is not unusual.
My experience is that the Camoplast verdict is usually very fair. Rarely do we get a legitimate claim denied.

Quoting the original thread author: " The few miles on this track were all on the trail family riding as I was breaking in a new sled".

THE CHALLENGER EXTREME OR ANY OTHER MOUNTAIN TRACK IS NOT DESIGNED OR INTENDED FOR TRAIL USE. Trail use subjects the track to many stress factors outside the design intensions. If you want to go trail riding better to get a touring sled with a lower lug track. You don't run marathons with high heel shoes and the same applies to snowmobile tracks.

Thanks to all

Bruce V.
TRACKS USA

I will make a separate post relating to product quality-strength-failure.

Thats all fine and dandy but, in truth the warranty program they have stinks. 2-3 months is a crap load of time, and in most cases alot of folks' entire season. So if a customer loses a track in January, they will either be out another 800 bucks or the rest of the powdery season to enjoy. If I lost out 2 months of my riding season, I'd be really pissed off. I can't imagine shipping is cheap on those either, due to size and weight.

Premium Features