• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

boreing out carbs ???

U
Nov 28, 2007
Alaska
Hi i need to bore out some 900 cat carbs and the ?? are whats the biggest and the best way to do this ? rifle bore,taper bore or just a regular bore ??? I heard you cant go all the way to 42mm on the cat carbs so whats a safe mm to go to ?? and what else should i know be for doing this :confused::confused:

Thanks

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I have some 42 TMX that I used on a 1220 ET motor in a CMX for sale 400$ with cables and evey tunning jet needle and needle jets

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Down side of boring is that is gives less side support for the slide. I had a motor that on it's second season the slides started to send chunks through the motor. After that all my bored carbs I just put new slides in each year and it solved it.

You can bore them on a lathe. Very simple....... or send them to Fastrax....

U
Nov 28, 2007
Alaska
Are you having a shop do it? Also, I've only heard of one way of boring carbs. Rifle bored? Really?

yea their's a guy here in AK theta puts a dremel tool to them makes them a Little bigger and makes 4 screw like groves in them :rolleyes: claims they make a world of difference !!!

Down side of boring is that is gives less side support for the slide. I had a motor that on it's second season the slides started to send chunks through the motor. After that all my bored carbs I just put new slides in each year and it solved it.

so any one with a lathe can do the boring ???

If I remember correctly 41.7mm is max.

thats what i remember i think

U
Nov 28, 2007
Alaska
How about the taper bore ?? how exactly is this done ?? some one on here said that a 42mm taper bore carb gets more air than a 48mm :confused: i don't see how thats possible ??

any thing else should i know ?? any thing special when re assembling them ??

THANKS

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
i just dod a set of skidoo 40mm flatslides, i had local machine shop bore them out to 42mm, and they seam to work fine, had to raise pilot up one for normal idle

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Aaen says taper bore is best, and flow high cfm as a straight bore but no ill effects with low speed rpm which seems to be everyones prob with straight bore.

K
Dec 4, 2007
CNY
how much of a taper is reccomended? I have a lathe (with a taper attachment)and a set of 40 mm racks to do, but it will be the first I've done, hate to ruin them, so was going to stop at 41.5, any suggestions?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

REALLY?
Brass chunks?

I wonder if that's what happened to me two weeks ago?
It wasn't enough to notice anything, but my EGTs started running about 65° on the PTO side.
Got pits on piston top, dome, and am getting cyl re-nic'd right now.
HMMMM.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
according to Aaen , for example, a 38 taper bored to 42 will flow so so very close to a straight 42 ,like 134cfm for a straight and 130 for a taper, the benifit is the attomization at low speed with the taper over the straight. And yes I read a few times rifle boring is a myth. dont do it, just think about it the air is flowing straight then you going to make it spin then go straight again when it hits the r cage. the idea of the taper , in my mind, it acts like a velocity stack after the jet and slide, decrease in friction.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I had "brass" colored bits in my exhaust cans and little rectangular pits in my piston top and dome.

Premium Features