• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1200 Turbos - Where are they ?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Well the season is well on its way and i have yet to see the 1200T catch on like wild fire as was predicted ? Are there issues that no one wants to talk about ? I hear a reputable builder in Alberta will not build anymore of these machines due to nothing but problem after problem, so they said enough was enough.

How have the clutches been holding up ? Drive train ? Engine ? Etc ? What are the common issues that arise with turbo power. In general what are peoples thoughts on how they can be made better ?

Why so quiet ?

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
everyone that we got out has been flawless. Just show up to the hill and ride.

What was all there problems?

Most guys just don't have the coin to take a short track and make it a long track.

I

INKEDRIDER

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 24, 2009
i think you are going to see a lot more once they come in a mountain version the work that goes into switching it over is probably to much for some plus it adds to the cost

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
we have not had anyone say that they didn't like their 1200 after they got it built. Mtn do has got to love his. Most peeps don't even know a 1200 exists. everytime we go out riding people always say. "what motor you got a apex?" i say "nope it is a 1200 skidoo" they say " skidoo doesn't make a fourstroke 1200!" I say "Yep your looking at it and it rocks would you like to ride it?" they always say yep. then when they come back they say" I got to get one of those. That is the fastest sled i have ever riden!"

So as you can see as soon as they come out with a summit version people will be all of it. and hopefully be all over a Turbo Performance Hillbilly deluxe turbo kit for it. Yeah Buddy !!!!!!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
I'd agree. The time and expense required to convert one right now is quite a hurdle. Its a little easier/less expensive for the mid-westerns to simply boost a Renegade, so there are more of those around right now.

Once Doo starts to ship them w/ long tracks, you'll see a lot more boosted 1200 T-Doo's. Especially since the 800 E-Tec's are expected to give the 2-Stroke builders fits for a while.

MD.

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
I agree with the author of this thread. We should be hearing more people whistling dixie about how they are working. I have a feeling that these these sleds and the turbo kits will take a little more time before people are raving about them. I also agree that more people will jump on board once the sled is produced in summit form. Who is this reputable shop in ab that is not building the 1200's?

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
also the clutch doesnt hold up to the added power so thats another expense to add on.

L

lugnut

Sep 21, 2008
Vancouver Island
Seen the ol' pro Dave Moore pull a couple impressive chutes in Eagle pass the other weekend. Looks like his is workin sweet.

They'll come out of the woodwork at the Big Iron. Gonna be a slough of them.

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
I hear now that not only is the primary a problem but that the secondary's are not holding up either (spinning on the shaft). I don't think these are gonna be as bulletproof as the Yamaha turbos.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
One was with us today....and dang my back is sore from pulling on that thing! Hi Jeremy! :face-icon-small-hap
They sure move when spooled up, just not alot of room to get things moving where we were today. :smow:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I heard a very intresting tid bit about Yamaha today. I was told Yamaha has a lot of patents on the whole 4 stroke thing. Things like the engine placement and the rear exhaust etc. It allows them to have the mid and rear mount turbos which Skud can't really do without the patent. Also I heard because of the engine placement patent Skud can't have the airbox the way they want which is why the airbox horns are long which is why they are kind of doggy of the bottom. Now take this all with a grain of salt but it came from a pretty reputable source. If this is the case Yamaha really has the upper hand for a while with the 4 stroke. I find this interesting. Yamaha has set the bar pretty high !

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
I'm not buying the "it's too expensive to long track thing". You see plenty of Yami's with big boost that could have started with a short track (aftermarket skids, tunnels, and tracks). Maybe the drivetrains aren't holding up?

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
One was with us today....and dang my back is sore from pulling on that thing! Hi Jeremy! :face-icon-small-hap
They sure move when spooled up, just not alot of room to get things moving where we were today. :smow:

I'm acutually a little sore my self today. Nothing like pulling out a terd all day. It's getting a little frustrating that an airbox cant stay together. It sure is fun trying to ride a turbo with an intake leak in tight trees :) I needed some exercise anyway.

A
Nov 28, 2009
BC
I just bought one from the local dealer and yes stupid fast, it bucked me off a couple times and I am used to going steep and deep with my 1000 RT. First time for riding a turbo, so I can't really compare it to another but I don't find that it is doggy on the bottom, I am actually impressed how fast it comes back on line when you get out of it. It's running a MCXpress with a polar clutch and a re-clutched secondary (Not sure what helix) as for the drive train mine still has the reverse mechanism and narrow chain which is a weak link. I find there is too much play in the gears which allows for shock loading of the chain when you are on and off of it. 80 MPH + when climbing (hard to look at the gauges at full boost) and definitely puts a smile on your face.

S
Feb 4, 2008
washington
had mine out this weekend and the guys i rode with kept me in the trees all day thinking it would be hard for me>>>>>>>>>>>no such luck this sled tree bangs all day and we had 20 inch of fresh got to admit they were full flappers down and i realy only needed half or less never got above 5000 grand till we got to the big climbs then i could let her breath.......

I will say you need to go with the xp front end makes a big difference:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features