• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding in Brainerd?

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
Some friends and I are planning a trip to Brainerd. We are wondering where would be a good place to stay so that we can get on a trail and just ride from where we are staying. Any info is great.

Thanks,

xc_rider08

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
There is snow, but it is pretty used up right now. Would make for a great trail base but it needs some fresh stuff to make it good again.

As for lodging that depends on what you are looking for. Lots of the hotels on the 371 corridor are a quick ride to a trail. If your looking for more of a resort/townhouse type of place then my personal pick would be Kavanaugh's. Sit's right on the edge of the Pillsbury forest and they have a trail groomed right to the office door. There are some many options for lodging in the area but that's where I'd stay.

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
thanks for the info,

We are not planing a trip till presidents day weekend. We just figured that we should start looking for a place to stay.

What hotel would be a good one to stay at?

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
hey wiz, thanks for the info. i just filled it out and hopefully i will receive something soon. keep the snow update coming too. thanks

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
you could also stay at the ramada/redroof inn. pretty basic and old but fairly cheap and the trail is just out the back of the lot. otherwise I would say nisswa area or one of the resorts around gull.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Also if you get a chance stop out at the Oak lawn tavern and play some pull tabs if your into that. That is the primary funding for the local club and pays for nearly all the trail maintenance. The new Tucker groomer should be on the trails by then too.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
As long as we're talking about supporting local clubs...

Just north of Brainerd there's the "Chap" (formerly Chaparral) and Bunkhouse Motel , "Half-Moon Saloon" Merrifield, and "Cheeks" on County Rd. 3, north of Merrifield.

There are 11 individual snowmobile clubs in the Brainerd area, and 9 of those do grooming operations. All are listed on the trail map. We are lucky in the "lakes area" to have fantastic support from area businesses. :face-icon-small-coo

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Sad to say only a few flurries, spaced about 1 inch on center. Basically nothing going on. None of the clubs are grooming right now. Our club just doing some p.m. on the Tucker, in anticipation. Yeah, right!

Basically have an icy base mixed in with dirt in full sun areas.
There might be better snow back in the sheltered wooded areas, but getting to it, thats the situation.

At least all the below zero this week is making better lake ice, and the big fishing contest is this Saturday. Dunno I might volunteer to help w/ communications and safety.

Only riding I've done this season was at Tog, week before last, and their grooming has gone to He!! this year---- like none at all. :mad:

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Too bad. was off to good start in December.

Thats a fact. The early snow sparked some interest again, and the sled dealers and shops got a bump in business.
Back in Nov. our club had to cancel our youth safety training class. Only 3 signed up.
Since the snow last month, we start a class of 30 kids tonite. Everyone wishing for a chance to ride.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Think snow?

GFS
Yeah, we got fingers and toes crossed for some new snow. Conditions about the same as my last posts. The warmer WX over the weekend didn't seem to have any adverse effect on the snow. Its was already hard as cement. :(

Some limited grooming going on where warranted. Paul Bunyan still rideable but ice packed. A few bare spots in the center where everybody rides :face-icon-small-fro snow cover on outside edges OK.
The route between Gull Lake and Breezy Point on Pelican always gets pounded hard. It can get trashed in 1/2 day on a weekend with GOOD snow!

20+ inches of ice on most lakes, still a couple trouble spots on lakes as usual.Use caution.

I should have gone to the radar drags on Gull yesterday, but didn't. Posts on HCS sounded like a good time, and mild temps.

(I'm also on HCS under a different name in the MN forum. This one taken over there. Not hard to figure out over there by my posts. LOL.)

The ice fishing "extravaganza" on Gull on Sat. went well. 5.3 lb Walleye got the '08 Ford 4X4 Pickup. 100th place got a water ski prepped ski boat, and last place got a nice King Quad ATV, with a 0.6 lb Perch, LOL.
Many other nice prizes. I like how they space out the nicer prizes. Keeps people fishing 'til the end of the contest.
EDIT: How many cans of beer can 10,000 people (ya that many) drink in 3 hours.? Unbelieveable, cause they can bring their own. And sledders think they know how to put 'em away. :D

MNUSA Winter Rendezvous Feb 8-9-10, and Governors "ride". I'm 'sposed to lead an 'old fartz ride. Not in these conditions, I'm not.:eek:

Later.
'wiz/M.F.

Last edited:

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Wiz are you going to be over in McGregor to check out the ice racing the weekend on the 15th?

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Wiz are you going to be over in McGregor to check out the ice racing the weekend on the 15th?
Was not aware of the event. Is that sled races or car races?

We have a legislators ride going on Feb.14th , leaving from Craguns. I might get roped into that by MNUSA reps if there's snow. THe 15th is a Friday. Might McGregor be the 16th?

I may be in Murder-apolis that weekend. Dunno yet.

G
Jan 10, 2008
MN
We are coming up on the 17th and staying on Gull. Any good bars for the night life. We have about 9 of us going. We don't do much ridding at night. We like to party:beer;:D. How are the conditions and are we going to get any more by then..

GT

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Was not aware of the event. Is that sled races or car races?

We have a legislators ride going on Feb.14th , leaving from Craguns. I might get roped into that by MNUSA reps if there's snow. THe 15th is a Friday. Might McGregor be the 16th?

I may be in Murder-apolis that weekend. Dunno yet.

It's WSA ice ovals. The actaul racing is the 16th, I think practice and everythign is the 15th. At least that's what the fliers say, 15-17.

Premium Features