• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Member Comments on "Letter to All Members"

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MPS

Wow.
What a post!

ahhhh passive aggressiveness....I have a response....

xin_381003181738533843353.jpg

Here's Johnny!!!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Also there would be nothing wrong with putting a 2 or 3% charge to list parts and whatnot in the swapmeet, based on the asking price.
And you don't think that would launch EXACTLY the same bevy of complaints that this has, with all the same comments?? Come on, you know better. They would be just as angry and hateful as everyone here has been.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
<<And you don't think that would launch EXACTLY the same bevy of complaints that this has, with all the same comments?? Come on, you know better. They would be just as angry and hateful as everyone here has been.>>

And that is somehow a deterrent, and pissing off the user base is not?

LOL.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So after reading page 40, kinda seems like the hand is definately NOT talking to the foot, really makes harris sound like its one hell of a circle jerk over there, not saying christopher is the bad guy but they're either really keeping you in the dark and taking the money from this site elsewhere or your just not trying hard enough to figure out whats going on. I DO REALIZE you are essentially the middle man in all this, however being the middle man you are the one that speaks for the people.
I am trying to move information back and forth, and they are also reading this thread directly themselves as well.

And no, its not a circle jerk at all.
The people that work at Harris Publishing are some of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of working with in a very long time. There are some real quality people that I have meant at the office since I started last summer.
I think very highly of them.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
At this point I am now caught up with all the posts in this thread.

Its 11:30PM and thats it for me tonight.

We can start this all over again tomorrow, and then of course all week next week.

Would be nice to hear from more new voices, and not the same people saying the same things, over and over and over again.

I am really clear on all the points that have been made in the last 800 posts.

Night All.

M

MPS

Ok this is ridiculous...I knew SW was automatically editing this other website when it came up on threads...but to do it in my PM's, especially when I use spaces in the PM... hahaha lame!

B
A
C
K
C
O
U
N
T
R
Y
R
E
B
E
L
S
C
O
M

Hurry silence me admin! haha....like I said I was planning on giving this a chance, but this crap is really irritating! Keep it up!

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
MPS - he's off the clock. Hanging out over at y-o-u k-n-o-w w-h-e-r-e.
Kind of like a cop haning out at the bar, but forgot to take the old uni off. (run w/ me on this one RP!)

;-)

Ok this is ridiculous...I knew SW was automatically editing this other website when it came up on threads...but to do it in my PM's, especially when I use spaces in the PM... hahaha lame!

B
A
C
K
C
O
U
N
T
R
Y
R
E
B
E
L
S
C
O
M

Hurry silence me admin! haha....like I said I was planning on giving this a chance, but this crap is really irritating! Keep it up!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
We will loose some people over this, No Argument. There is no change we could make that would not result in people being offended and choosing to leave.

This is a big change, so its going to cause big fallout.

But, its also fair to say that we will bring in new people as well as time goes by. The front door to SnoWest swings in BOTH WAYS.[/QUOTE

the door swings both ways....not swings IN both ways...thats like having a road FILLED with potholes..

R
Apr 13, 2002
Washington
I have not read all 43 pages, but I can't see many members wanting to pay so that they can help other guys out with tech info. My opinion is the forum is being loaded with crap that I have no use for. Now we have to pay for the new servers to make it as fast as it was before it was "fixed". Sorry, not me. Thanks for ruining the best forum there WAS.

OK. I didn't get a reply to my earlier post, so I'm going to re-post it and see if it gets answered. I know it was a reply to Jay's post, but I think Christopher could answer it best. Original post follows:

You will still be able to search and read for tech info as a non-paying member.
Jay, unless I'm reading this wrong, I believe you're mistaken. According to the original post, Guests can see the forums and read a PORTION of all the threads. Basic (unpaid) members get to do that, plus post in three non-tech forums, and have a LIMITED ability to read and post in other (yet to be named) topics and forums. The Premium (paid) member will have full access to the forums, including the new (read, useful) search function. Am I missing something here? Where does it state that non-paying members will be able to search and read tech info?

To: All SnoWest Members
Subject: Big Changes Coming to the SnoWest Forums

Guest:
* Will have the ability to see all the forums and read a portion of all the threads
* Will be able to READ SwapMeet Forum
* Will be able to READ the SnowSafety Forum
* Will be able to READ the SnowMembers Forum

Basic Member:
This level will be completely free. Members here will have all of the privileges of a guest, but will also get:
* Full posting ability in the SwapMeet forum, the SnowSafety forum, and the SnowMembers forum
* Limited posting ability in the other forums
* Limited ability to read other topics and forums
* Private Message Capabilities with limited storage

Premium Member:
All of the above privileges, plus:
* Unlimited viewing and posting privileges across the forums
* Unrestricted private-message capability
* Unrestricted access to all of the new features (chat rooms, treadmill, live-topic, etc.)
* Instant-Messenger
* Personal Blog
* Photo Albums
* "My Garage"
* Polls
* Enhanced Search Engine
* Social Groups
* Invitations to meetups and group rides
* ... And MUCH MUCH more!!!

smoking_powerstroke

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2007
North Dakota
I haven't read all 43 pages nor am I going to. Making snowest a pay site is a JOKE. Its really too bad you decided to go down this road I really did like the site and it had alot of good info. Good info can be found for FREE on the internet if you know where to look. Finally, the ONLY way I would pay would be if a subscriber to snowest's magazine would be included.

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I haven't read all 43 pages nor am I going to. Making snowest a pay site is a JOKE. Its really too bad you decided to go down this road I really did like the site and it had alot of good info. Good info can be found for FREE on the internet if you know where to look. Finally, the ONLY way I would pay would be if a subscriber to snowest's magazine would be included.

I sincerely hope that you read the letter. If you have read it, then you already know that there is an on-line subscription to SnoWest included with the forum membership. Heres to hoping you stick around!:beer;

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
OK. I didn't get a reply to my earlier post, so I'm going to re-post it and see if it gets answered. I know it was a reply to Jay's post, but I think Christopher could answer it best. Original post follows:

Jay, unless I'm reading this wrong, I believe you're mistaken. According to the original post, Guests can see the forums and read a PORTION of all the threads. Basic (unpaid) members get to do that, plus post in three non-tech forums, and have a LIMITED ability to read and post in other (yet to be named) topics and forums. The Premium (paid) member will have full access to the forums, including the new (read, useful) search function. Am I missing something here? Where does it state that non-paying members will be able to search and read tech info?

You see what I see, Limited ability to read and post in other forums, Some things are yet to be determined. This is just like when everyone was speculating on this before the letter came out. Your reading doom and gloom, I'm reading that its going to be ok.

S

spook222

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 28, 2008
eastern washington
kinda sounds like our health care town hall meetings with our stinkin politicians.."we are listening to everyone and their concerns and realize nobody wants these changes and they will cause more harm than good, but we're going to do what the he!! we want cause we know best." Seems to me, we can hollar till our throats fall out, but nothing's getting through. Yeah, we get the token "I'm listening" but its obvious that the only thing for us to decide at this point is to stay or leave, I mean come on, what are we at, like 800 posts or something, most of which say they hate the changes, and look at all the progress we've made...... But at least they're listening!

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
kinda sounds like our health care town hall meetings with our stinkin politicians.."we are listening to everyone and their concerns and realize nobody wants these changes and they will cause more harm than good, but we're going to do what the he!! we want cause we know best." Seems to me, we can hollar till our throats fall out, but nothing's getting through. Yeah, we get the token "I'm listening" but its obvious that the only thing for us to decide at this point is to stay or leave, I mean come on, what are we at, like 800 posts or something, most of which say they hate the changes, and look at all the progress we've made...... But at least they're listening!

Its going to be awhile until all things are hashed out, all upgrades are working and the subscriptions start. Stick around and see for yourself before you make up your mind. Your comments are being heard and nothing happens overnight. This thread has only been here a couple of days, give them some time to think about the 800+ responses. All parties involved are watching this thread closely.

Last edited:
P

paularis600

Mar 1, 2008
Illinois
here goes from one who looks more than participates. i am a flatlander who has had the chances to ride out west the last few years. and yes i am hooked. as you can see dont post much. but as i head west more often i feel more comfortable to participate in the forums. there is a great deal of info here. and if a few coins is needed to stay in touch with it, then i will contribute. thanks to all who make this happen. we are entering a different world everyday and things dont come free anymore, and most need to adjust to make things happen.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
if a premium member violates a no no like thread drift,pottymouth or borderline bashing,will they be punished and sent downstairs to a basic or guest level.?:)

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
First, I will say that I understand there are costs involved with running a site.

However I am one that does more reading and occasional posting. My time is valuable and I don't sit here for hours on end hoping that my buddies are line at the same time. I don't need or use the current shout box and find it more of a nuisance than anything.

Most of the other things you have listed as being able to have with the fee are of no interest to me as well.

I belong to several other forums that operate the same way, visit them occasionally and they don't have a fee, nor has there been any disscussion in doing so. You may want to consider the size and number of people on Facebook vs. the number of members on snowest and ask yourself how they operate with no fee.

In my opinion, you may want to rethink this before moving forward.

Thanks for asking,

m

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
I am not involved with the advertising that you see on the site nor how the rates are determined. That is all handled by a different part of the company.

I asked you why the advertising was not paying the bills, not what the ad's cost. Big difference IMO. But for the life of me I can not figure out how you could possible know that you need to charge the users for the site because of the cost to do these upgrades when you don't know what the current income is, that you might have to work with to get these upgrades done.

Not trying to slam you, but the fact that is you don't seem to have a lot of info that, IMO, would be needed to have to make the kinds of decisions you "guys" seem to be making. If it is correct that you truly don't know what the costs or income currently are!

You don't know ("They have not told you!") what it has cost to keep the SW forum up and running over the last 11 years. Yet the site as lost money every year since it came on line!

You don't know, or have not said, what it cost last year to keep the site up and running. Before you implemented all of the changes that caused the site to slow down and now needs a much bigger server to keep up and running at a good site speed, plus allows the addition of all of these changes you deem necessary to go forward into this bright new feature.

You don't know what the income is that the site is generating right now thru advertising dollars. Yet you have said that all of these new changes you are implementing are going to cost so much that the site members have to now pay to use most of them.

Please tell me, What am I missing here?? I must be missing the point on something!

On one hand we see that there is a huge majority other sites around the web that seem to be able to provide the same if not better or higher amount of "content" as SW does, yet they all are able to provide that content at no charge to the "users".

On the other hand, we now have a bright, shiny, new SW on the way, that while being cutting edge and content laden is now going to have to be user supported thru user dollars, to have this bight shiny new content.

But you have no clue what it has cost to keep SW up and running thru the years. You just know that its now going to require the income generated from the end user to do so in the future!!!

Chris, I fully understand your need to try to paint as rosy a picture as possible on this whole thing. After all it was probably not your intent to release the info about the changes as soon as you did. But the word got out and now you're in damage control mode (So it seems) trying to stop a mass exodus from the forum, before you get the chance to get the new upgrades up and running.

I also fully understand that you are also not asking our opinion's on whether or not the site user's want said upgrades, (Fluff) they are coming whether we want them or not, as are the forum use fee's.

So I will ask the question again, with the hope of actually getting an answer this time.

Why can't a site the size of Snowest keep going along, even with all of the new content you are wanting/ promising, on the revenue generated solely on the income generated by advertising dollars alone? Why is it necessary to charge the end user for more than limited access to the site????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features