• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 HP Powerstroke 6.4L

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
Over on dieselgarage.com i asked if anyone with a cummins can make 550+ on stock components and the answer seems to be no, especially not with a stock tranny. Remember when i say 550+ i mean at the rear wheels fellas, not the crank, lol!

I spend alot of time on cummins forum and I dont even need to check, I agree no way can they flow enough fuel stock to make that kind of numbers. Like mentioned before, the turbo cant even flow enough air either to keep the egts in order

I find it hard to believe that someone could go through 2 48re trannys and blame it on dodge. There has to be some foul play.

K
Dec 31, 2007
yes 600hp from a 6.4 truck is sweet to bad they had to use twins to make as much power as chevy and dodge stock for stock. i don't have much experience with them but the one guy i know that has one is dead stock and has been in for new injectors and other stuff. thats all fine and dandy on warrenty but once your off warrenty have fun replacing injectors from your own wallet. my cummins has 340 000kms and i hope to be close to 600rwhp this summer let me know when your 6.4 has 340 000 km at 600hp.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
yes 600hp from a 6.4 truck is sweet to bad they had to use twins to make as much power as chevy and dodge stock for stock. i don't have much experience with them but the one guy i know that has one is dead stock and has been in for new injectors and other stuff. thats all fine and dandy on warrenty but once your off warrenty have fun replacing injectors from your own wallet. my cummins has 340 000kms and i hope to be close to 600rwhp this summer let me know when your 6.4 has 340 000 km at 600hp.

Funny you mention the warranty thing, spartan is undetectable to computers, only thing they can trace is max perameter setting such as speed and rpm limits which are able to be bypassed stock so that is easily overlooked. And you aint gonna make no 600hp on stock components on that dodge, especially with 340,000km which is only 170,000 miles so not that impressive really for a diesel. There are already a few guys runnin the 275 with 120,000 all tuned miles. Do you want a link for those guys to, lol.

K
Dec 31, 2007
Funny you mention the warranty thing, spartan is undetectable to computers, only thing they can trace is max perameter setting such as speed and rpm limits which are able to be bypassed stock so that is easily overlooked. And you aint gonna make no 600hp on stock components on that dodge, especially with 340,000km which is only 170,000 miles so not that impressive really for a diesel. There are already a few guys runnin the 275 with 120,000 all tuned miles. Do you want a link for those guys to, lol.

i know spartan stuff is not detecable i mean in 3 years or whatever your warrenty is it would suck to do motor work on that truck.

no my truck does not / will not have stock components to make 600hp, heck it took a far bit to make 400rwhp. but i cant afford a nice new truck so i work with what i got.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
so hyflyer wheres YOUR 600 hp truck at? All you guys say this and that but who has actually had FIRST HAND experience with a 600 hp everyday driver?and I dont mean taking a buddies truck for a cruise. I will call bullchit on a stock tranny holding up to 600 hp for any length of time. my buddy made it 15,000 miles with 480 hp on a LOAD CELL dyno with a stock 48re.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
so hyflyer wheres YOUR 600 hp truck at? All you guys say this and that but who has actually had FIRST HAND experience with a 600 hp everyday driver?and I dont mean taking a buddies truck for a cruise. I will call bullchit on a stock tranny holding up to 600 hp for any length of time. my buddy made it 15,000 miles with 480 hp on a LOAD CELL dyno with a stock 48re.

Well does a 530ish? daily driver count? You can call bullsh!t all you want pal, 24k on mine, all but the first 800ish with the tune!

Dont fret, I own a Dodge that I had to rebuild the 48re in as well. Then made another mistake with G56, and have had to install another in that as well......

Oh and just for giggles, next time I haul 28,000lbs behind me, I will make sure to take a pic just for you......

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
Well does a 530ish? daily driver count? You can call bullsh!t all you want pal, 24k on mine, all but the first 800ish with the tune!

Dont fret, I own a Dodge that I had to rebuild the 48re in as well. Then made another mistake with G56, and have had to install another in that as well......

Oh and just for giggles, next time I haul 28,000lbs behind me, I will make sure to take a pic just for you......

remind me again how you seem to destroy these trannies? cause the only g56s ive heard of getting destroyed are from high boosted 3rd gear launches, and guys pushing 700+ hp..

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa

24,000 miles lol. you wanna cookie. 530ish? instead of taking a picture with a load behind it, post your personal dyno sheet..then talk to me in a couple years running that kinda power.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
remind me again how you seem to destroy these trannies? cause the only g56s ive heard of getting destroyed are from high boosted 3rd gear launches, and guys pushing 700+ hp..

Um, I posted what I do with my trucks in the post that you quoted. Go back and read it again.
Just because you have not heard about it, does not mean it dont happen.

But here is a little hint........28,000lbs + truck weight.....

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
24,000 miles lol. you wanna cookie. 530ish? instead of taking a picture with a load behind it, post your personal dyno sheet..then talk to me in a couple years running that kinda power.

If your going to call someone out without stipulation, you get to do it on their terms, not yours. I will take that cookie though....
I am sure after a couple more years, you will tell me to wait till I have half a million on it, then we will talk to huh?

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
If your going to call someone out without stipulation, you get to do it on their terms, not yours. I will take that cookie though....
I am sure after a couple more years, you will tell me to wait till I have half a million on it, then we will talk to huh?

24,000 miles isn't nothing. break a 100,000 with no slipping on stock components and I will be impressed. 75,000 on my goerend 47re (150,000 on some components)and only a failed govenor solenoid. the most that I tow is 7-10 thousand though.btw what are your egts running with a 530 horse tune with the weight you mentioned?how much boost?rail pressure? fuel pressure @ high pressure pump? cause if all those things are monitored and in check with a 530 hp tune on the dyno with no turbo or injector/injection pump mods you are way ahead of any dodge....I can only run a 30hp conservative tune(smarty) on my 04.5 towing simular weights as you....my guess is you are running a smaller tune when towing?

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
Um, I posted what I do with my trucks in the post that you quoted. Go back and read it again.
Just because you have not heard about it, does not mean it dont happen.

But here is a little hint........28,000lbs + truck weight.....

so do you always tow almost two times the max recommended weight? and do you think the trannies are supposed to handle double what they are supposed to?

building009-1.jpg

forklift is 22.5k trailer is 5k......took it like a champ:beer;

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
so do you always tow almost two times the max recommended weight? and do you think the trannies are supposed to handle double what they are supposed to?

Just so you know, you took the bait.......

So, are these trucks that are "Designed" to handle 325ish Hp supposed to handle an extra 1,2,500 hp? That's over two times the hp they are built to handle......:D:beer;

And yes, I always tow that much, and I do it legally. Heck my camp trailer weighs in at a paltry 17k!

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
24,000 miles isn't nothing. break a 100,000 with no slipping on stock components and I will be impressed. 75,000 on my goerend 47re (150,000 on some components)and only a failed govenor solenoid. the most that I tow is 7-10 thousand though.btw what are your egts running with a 530 horse tune with the weight you mentioned?how much boost?rail pressure? fuel pressure @ high pressure pump? cause if all those things are monitored and in check with a 530 hp tune on the dyno with no turbo or injector/injection pump mods you are way ahead of any dodge....I can only run a 30hp conservative tune(smarty) on my 04.5 towing simular weights as you....my guess is you are running a smaller tune when towing?

You are correct, but I didnt think you would catch it. As with my Dodges as well, I run a much milder tune towing that heavy.

Boost will hit around 42lbs. Rail pressure around 24k, towing. The highest Egt's I have seen towing is 1450. That's pulling my camp trailer up a pass. Typicle towing equipment I usually only see around 1250. 65ish mph on the freeway.
Whilst running the 275 tune, I will hit high 40's is boost, similar rail pressure, and depending on how long I hold it, I have seen 1600's egt's.
With my Smarty, I run the 60 or 90 hp tune. The problem with the G56 was it couldnt take the torque with the Smarty and handle the weight. The 48re once built does a much better job, but I run a modified edge in that truck, and it in no way compares to the torque that I can put down with the G56, Smarty combo.

Here it is all laid out for everyone. I like my Dodges. I bought the G56 truck after having to rebuild the 48re. It was supposed to be nearly indestructible. However, once that went out and not being able to add a single better part to it, I have come to the conclusion that I will never buy another Manual for heavy towing. Auto's can plainly be built better to handle the power. Now dont get me wrong, I would rather have the Manual for every instance in pulling that much weight. But after installing another stock trans, they will not hold up. The problem I have with Dodge has nothing to do with power, or transmissions really. But ujoints, tie rods, brakes, rotors, track bars, heck just about every other part under the truck. I am sick of fixing the sum beotches.

Time will tell with this new Ford. I only need to make it another 20k to surpass how long the Dodge tranny's lasted. So we will see.

On another note, I may run down to the drag strip for some test and tune this week just to put some of this to bed. I was told this truck should run in the mid 13's as it sits. CAI, Cat back exhaust, and Spartan Tuner. If I can make it, we will see.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
ya, dodges are cracker jax boxes with good motors,but I have never dealt with the mercedes tranny...only the new venture 5600 and its been a great tranny. 125,000 and the clutch still looks nearly new after towing some heavy loads....but anyways that 275 spartan tune will eventually kill your tranny.....probably sooner than later... definetly not a load the tune and drive it for the life of the truck like the folks on this thread are making it out to be. what tranny in your dodge only lasted 44,000 miles?

Premium Features