• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 HP Powerstroke 6.4L

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Been towed twice, popped three radiators, blew an EGR cooler (whatever that is), have had several episodes of billowing smoke for no apparent reason, shutters when trying to pull heavy loads, shimmies at highway speed no matter how many times you balance the tires or check the alignment, gets an average of 10.5 MPG and has never gotten better than 14.5 MPG even in the best of conditions.

Sounds like some problems to me.

Consumer Reports rated relibility of the F250/350 as terrible.....no argument here.

That sucks! I have not had them kind of issues on any new truck I have bought, and I have owned all three brands. If I had, it would be long gone. Time to trade that bad boy in!

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
Been towed twice, popped three radiators, blew an EGR cooler (whatever that is), have had several episodes of billowing smoke for no apparent reason, shutters when trying to pull heavy loads, shimmies at highway speed no matter how many times you balance the tires or check the alignment, gets an average of 10.5 MPG and has never gotten better than 14.5 MPG even in the best of conditions.

Sounds like some problems to me.

Consumer Reports rated relibility of the F250/350 as terrible.....no argument here.

Well if all that is true, then Im sure you wouldn't mind posting or PM'ing me your VIN number off your truck so I can run an OASIS report to verify these issues. Im very intrested to see what the deal is

Cowboy Steve

B

bigbird

Nov 26, 2007
edmonton area
www.rushmotorsports.ca
Well if all that is true, then Im sure you wouldn't mind posting or PM'ing me your VIN number off your truck so I can run an OASIS report to verify these issues. Im very intrested to see what the deal is

Cowboy Steve

So there can't be a bad one without you verifying it. Overall the 6.4 has been a big step forward for Ford, but there will be problem trucks.

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
So there can't be a bad one without you verifying it. Overall the 6.4 has been a big step forward for Ford, but there will be problem trucks.

Surely there can and surely there will be. Im not calling anybody a liar. I have a hard time wrapping my head around loosing 3 radiators alone. I would like to see the oasis to know more about the truck. I get funny feelings from some posts every now and again that make me want to investigate more for my own knowledge, this is one. Shouldn't be a problem, and nobody should, i hope atleast, take offense from my posts, like I said, not calling anyone a liar.

Cowboy Steve

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
Surely there can and surely there will be. Im not calling anybody a liar. I have a hard time wrapping my head around loosing 3 radiators alone. I would like to see the oasis to know more about the truck. I get funny feelings from some posts every now and again that make me want to investigate more for my own knowledge, this is one. Shouldn't be a problem, and nobody should, i hope atleast, take offense from my posts, like I said, not calling anyone a liar.

Cowboy Steve

you have to be kidding. what are you the ford diesel king.lol.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Unfortunately mine is a company vehicle so I cannot simply get rid of it.

I will ponder the idea of handing over my VIN.

One correction.....the vehicle is currently running it's third radiator, therefore I have only blown two, as if that's any reassurance.

One point of interest, When the EGR cooler popped it pumped ALL the coolant through the motor. Anybody seen a cylinder that has been washed down with anti-freeze? I have, and it is typically not a good thing.

One other issue, the transmission shifter went to hell on me and the tow/haul mode wouldn't engage.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Unfortunately mine is a company vehicle so I cannot simply get rid of it.

I will ponder the idea of handing over my VIN.

One correction.....the vehicle is currently running it's third radiator, therefore I have only blown two, as if that's any reassurance.

One point of interest, When the EGR cooler popped it pumped ALL the coolant through the motor. Anybody seen a cylinder that has been washed down with anti-freeze? I have, and it is typically not a good thing.

One other issue, the transmission shifter went to hell on me and the tow/haul mode wouldn't engage.

How many said miles are on this truck? What kind of work is the truck used for? Just curious..

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
60,000 miles.

I sell Bobcat construction equipment and do a fair amount of hauling. Nothing over 16K gross, wink, wink.

The truck gets worked but I take good care of it as it has to get me home at night.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
60,000 miles.

I sell Bobcat construction equipment and do a fair amount of hauling. Nothing over 16K gross, wink, wink.

The truck gets worked but I take good care of it as it has to get me home at night.

Lol. I dont haul anything over that either.......:eek:
When did the problems start? Did you have to lay down some miles first, or since the truck was new?

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
As I recall the first radiator popped at around 20k.

You know your getting bad mileage when you don't have to pay for the fuel but you are still VERY aware of it. The least they could do is put a bigger fuel tank on it so it feels like your getting better mileage.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
As I recall the first radiator popped at around 20k.

You know your getting bad mileage when you don't have to pay for the fuel but you are still VERY aware of it. The least they could do is put a bigger fuel tank on it so it feels like your getting better mileage.

That sucks, I average over 500 miles a tank now.....

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Is there an easy way to tell what build a truck is? I mean Job 1, 2, or 3.

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
We run three 6.4 box trucks and all of them have been in and out of the shop because of head gaskets and turbo issues with a mixture of various other small issues. All the repairs have been covered under warrante but our problem now is finding a shop that will do the work because they have to raise the cab to do some of the repairs and with the cab over box on the trucks no one wants to do the work to remove or lift the box as well as the cab...These trucks run strong and well when they are working correctly but when they do have troubles and are in and out of the shop costing us money in lost revenue its just not worth it to own one...

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
We run three 6.4 box trucks and all of them have been in and out of the shop because of head gaskets and turbo issues with a mixture of various other small issues. All the repairs have been covered under warrante but our problem now is finding a shop that will do the work because they have to raise the cab to do some of the repairs and with the cab over box on the trucks no one wants to do the work to remove or lift the box as well as the cab...These trucks run strong and well when they are working correctly but when they do have troubles and are in and out of the shop costing us money in lost revenue its just not worth it to own one...

Head Gasket's huh? First I have heard of that.

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa

Headgaskets?.......... uh vin number please

Cowboy Steve

Premium Features