• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pondering a Retro Diesel 4x4 sled hauler... Need some comments and input.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm seriously pondering a custom truck here... and wanted to "spitball" with my fellow SnoWest Online peeps.... looking for comments, ideas, photos etc...

Who knows if I'll build it... or not... but seriously looking into it.

I like the idea of finding an already restored, rust free, truck to start from so the build could move along... and someone else has taken the hit on a lot of the expensive stuff.

Will it be a show truck.. Heck NO... I want it to a user that I'll be proud to drive but not worried to scratch...

Do I want a high-dollar dream truck with 4-link bagged suspensions.. heck no again... keep it simple and as low priced as possible.

It needs to start when I turn the key and get decent fuel economy for such a large Ole truck... and give me the look I want....

Something I can throw a single sled in the bed and rip through the snow or drive with pride around town.

Leaf springs front and rear , basic interior, hand crank windows, no air conditioning, assembled with the "KISS method"

I've seen a lot of NAPCO Chevys and other vintage Power Wagon 4x4's that have been fixed up... but for me...
I'd like to go with something a bit different...Plus... the nice Power Wagons in good shape are pushing a HUGE bankroll around.

Thats when I ran across this photo of a 1959 Studebaker NAPCO 4x4 truck and got my juices flowing.

How many tough looking Stuedebakers have you seen around??

6083888491_280f1a2ac5_b.jpg

So I started looking and found this. Which lead to more.

Studebaker4X4002.jpg

History of Studebaker Trucks

I really like the rounded desgin of the cab with the tough looking nose... which, BTW, is made of fiberglass!

This design was around from 1957 to 1959 in Pickup trim (1/2 and 3/4 ton) and from 1958 to 1964 (or so) in large 2+ ton versions called Transtar.

I've only seen these pickup versions in Short beds... and with a more rounded bed... There are some Long bed versions out there... but did not see them in a 4x4.

Now, the NAPCO versions of the Studebakers are rare... AND expensive :israel:
And not really what I wanted.

The Vintage 40's to 68 Dodge Power Wagon Long beds have a long, tough/lean look to them... purposeful and I really like the tall 36" + tires many are outfitting on them... but wanted that in the Studebaker.

legacy-power-wagon-xl.jpg

legacy-power-wagon-4.jpg

One of the complaints of the Pickup truck model of Studebaker E-Series is that they have meager frames and narrow wheelbase with small wheel openings...
But this is NOT the case with commercial trucks... They have stout frames with wider track width (similar to modern trucks) and bigger wheel openings.... PERFECT! :dance:

PLUS... HUGE bonus... I've found quite a few out there in great shape for small $$... no rust so I'm not starting from ground zero.

I found this blue one... already done with lots of documentation on the resto.
picture.php

No issues running a big diameter tire on this wheel well!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Plenty of room under the hood for my engine of choice.
picture.php

Another one for comparison... not restored but solid.

attachment.php

attachment.php

HMMM :face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con

Plenty-BIG wheel openings that could easily carry a 36" - 40" NDT mud tire that is relatively narrow for the overall diameter... I like that look :face-icon-small-ton

Like these Michelin 11.00x16's at over 38" dia... and not to fat.
1961_dodge_power_wagon_06-700x525.jpg

brad11x16a.jpg

Or these 9.00x16's at 36"+
xzl3080001.jpg

100-0078_IMG.JPG

Now... time to fill in the blanks...

Powertrain: (Engine and Trans/tranfer)
Well... It has to be a Diesel... but not Too big and not a huge amount of hp... I want good torque AND decent fuel economy that will FIT into the body without moving around things like firewalls and grilles...
Natural canidate...The cummins 4 cylinder motors.
The venerable 4BT is a natural choice...but very noisy... OUCH.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

http://www.cumminsallisonconversions.com/

So I saw on one Bruiser Conversions... that they are using the Cummins ISF 3.8L and see that you can find a good used one out of a wreck for about $6500 with an Allison automatic 6 speed. I've had great luck with the Allisonin my Duramax and like the good reviews it gets... Easy to hang a pushbutton transfer case on it too and a few aftermarket controllers are available for it.

The 3.8 ISF is a very quiet little power plant that makes 170 HP and 420 ft. lbs. of torque. Spools quick and is a clean engine, which is important to me as I'm not a "rolling coal" kind of guy. Great economy. Impressive to say the least.

IMG_0056-600.jpg

Drivetrain:(Axles, wheels, driveshaft)
Dana 60 High pinion front with cross chassis steering link and High pinion 6 rear... PLUS...A friend has ARB lockers that he'll give me if I want them... Just need an onboard air system... Thats easy.

Wheels would be a commercial looking set from Stockton Wheel... plain jane but burly looking

Since these are leaf spring trucks front and rear... no challenge on that end to get some custom leafs made... Just need to shorten the frame in the rear and get custom driveshafts made... also straightforward

Bed:
This was a bit of a stretch for me... as I don't like the Studebaker offerings...

I want a long bed, step side with a very comercial look to it... so the late 40's chevys come to mind.... but how to fit it??

Well, "Let me google that for you" comes to the rescue and I found http://www.mar-k.com/

Mar-K makes great quality custom vintage beds... so I called them up... they can cobb together anything that I want... I like the Power Wagon bed... and would hang some Vintage Studebaker fenders from them for the look I want... Their prices are great and they have custom options available...
Just graft on a STUDEBAKER stamping from a donor tailgate and I would have it... A 9 foot bed... brand new no rust and probably throw some nice Cuban Mahogany in the bed that I just happen to have around.

db_jmoore001.jpg

db_jmoore002.jpg

Interior:
Keep it retro, but with good gauges, lots of dynamat, tweed seats, tilt automatic column and a good hidden stereo.

More.... :face-icon-small-sho
Well... thats to ponder....things like power steering boxes, tail lights, quiet exhaust, fuel tank, lift pump/filter, headlights, a nice wide LED light bar between the grille and bumper, and spare tire location etc etc etc...

Time for bed.... :bored:

1.JPG 2.jpg 3.JPG 4.jpg

Last edited:

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
I think your on track to build a sick rig. Been trying to plan something like this for myself. Problem I've got is that after its all said and done, the cost in time and money spent to build a "budget" and unique rig is pushing up there with buying a clean used truck that I can just drive away. Id love to do and old 66' Ford extended cab body on a custom built frame with modern axles under it. The 3.8 setup seems legit too. But the idea of simplified is a huge kicker for me. Old school looking, basic truck construction and reliable.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mckinney

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Evans, Co
I like your Studebaker idea, as I have a 1.5 ton M6 with the long box in pieces in my garage. I think the first pic you posted has a purple M6 4x4 to the left of the Studebaker you are asking about. Currently, in no hurry, trying to find a frame to put under it with modern running gear. People have used S10 frames and Dodge Dakota frames but still unsure as I am pondering a diesel also. Duramax is wanted but too big for the compartment. I know a guy with a crate 5.7 Hemi that sounds good cause I also have 2 Chargers with that same motor. Too many decisions. Have fun, I like your plan.

mckinney

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I think you could install a SuperClamp mount in the front of the bed and then have a hinged access door on the side of the bed to reach the clamp in and secure. Keeps you from having to climb all over the front of the sled to get it tied down and stable.

Could you use a Benz or BMW diesel with their auto trans in front of a divorced transfer case for a modern quiet efficient diesel? Just thinking of options.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I have been wanting to build on an old Chevy c50 truck. It has a short wheel base and enough room under the hood for an old 12 valve Cummins it appears. Feels a little roomier than the older 50s trucks in the cab. Thinking how 4 heel drive would have to be retro fitted but finding a wide enough front axle so it doesn't look goofy.

If I ever do it the finished product will look like it still belongs in the junk yard, but that's what I like!

I just need some property to get it started

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
There is a '49 GMC flatbed dually on our farm that i have been keeping my eye on for the last few years. I think that old truck, restored and fitted with a 4BT cummins would be a freqking sweet sled hauler...just gotta figure how to put a live front axle under it...i have always liked the looks of the late 40's GMC and Chevy trucks.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Most of the 40's and 50's pickups have a narrow wheel base compared to todays trucks... lots of people putting those truck bodies on S-10 and Ford Ranger chassis (compacts) because of the narrow widths.

I'm looking into this now...but I believe that Heavy duty 2 and 5 ton Transtars (like the blue one in the first post) have wider wheel base and wider fenders to accommodate that while still using the standard cab/hood section. Besides having larger wheel wells.

Maybe Silverlake or Highway products could pull off something of a retro looking flatbed with toolbox-wheelwells that would look good with the truck though it's hard to beat a 9-foot long bed step side in the looks department, especially with the right fenders!!

Premium Features