• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Them's fighting words....

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
This is an article posted by Castanet.net news group and this dillhole also ran a radio program on CBC telling everyone how the government should shut down sledding on crown land. This comes from Mike Weigle who is an import from Austria. He is a very pompous azz who is rich so he thinks he owns everything around him. Well, just for this Mr. Mike , I am going to make sure that I and all my turbo buddies rip up and screw up all the fresh pow on all your precious heli ski runs next year. This is crown land he is talking about, the land that I have a god-given right to access and recreate on. I was born here and have paid taxes here all my life, I'll be damned if some import is going to tell me where to ride. friggin azzhat.

From castanet :

The operator of the world's largest Heli-Ski business says the B.C. government should immediately ban snowmobilers from all Crown Lands.

Mike Wiegele, in Kelowna for the Canada West Ski Areas Association Conference, says too many snowmobilers are oblivious of the dangers they face heading into the back country.

"The community disregards any advice. We watch it. There were 20 people killed. There should have been 50 or 60," says Wiegele.

He says snowmobilers tend to be arrogant, as evidenced by the fact not one of their organizations is attending the safety components of the conference.

The president of the Kelowna Snowmobile Club, Rick Given, says Wiegele's reaction is unfortunate.

"I think it's unfortunate somebody would have a reaction like that. It would be like saying let's close all the airports because we've had an airplane crash," says Given.

"This is the worst year for snowmobilers as far as avalanche incidents are concerned. Everybody is concerned."

He says the snowmobile community is very tight knit and pointing fingers is not the right approach.

Given says education is the proper way to approach this, not coming out with a statement that one back country user group should be banned.

"It's very tragic when anybody that is doing a recreational activity, no matter what it is, is involved in a death. You don't shut down one industry. Everybody that uses the back country needs to work together to provide more education."

Given says there is risk, not only from avalanches, but also from creeks and frozen lakes.

He adds the Kelowna Snowmobile Club has hosted avalanche awareness courses in the past and says there will be new and free avalanche information sessions this winter.

Wiegele is a lead search and rescue official who took part in many snowmobile rescues this past winter.

He says the cost to B.C. taxpayers was too much by an industry that is uncontrolled.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
What a ****n D-bag..

This problem is just going to get worse even here is the states... :mad:..

Another example to support your local and other sledding clubs.. and the NRA.. :D (just in case)

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
Wiegele is a lead search and rescue official who took part in many snowmobile rescues this past winter.

He says the cost to B.C. taxpayers was too much by an industry that is uncontrolled.

Just one more reason why most in my group would never call a S&R.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho

Just one more reason why most in my group would never call a S&R.

most of them can only ride like ladies to boot, if i had a nickel for every time a skier was saved by a snowmobile... i would own Montana!

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
Wiegele wishes he was a leader in any S&R. He likes to toot his horn, but in reality it's his employees and pilots that have had any part in any rescure. Here is a post from a dude named "Twisted " on the province forums. I like what this guy has to say :

From Twisted :

Mike, why is it that you fail to mention the skier who died under the care of you guide in a tree well, a tree well MIike!!!!! Was your guide drunk again? I don't know what people are thinking but you are the biggest pollouter in the Canadian Rockies. How dare you try to sell yourself as a responsible citizen. How many tens of thousands of litres of fuel do you burn in your old gelopy helicopters. Sleds have to pass the most stingent EPA standards ever, I dare you to publish your old choppers emmissions you hipocrit. Have you no morals using the deaths of others for your own personal gain....blocking Canadians from Canada so you can sell it to your European clients. I dare you to a telivised debate any day, the public should know the truth about who you really are Mike. Maybe the people of Blue River should be interviewed by the media or would that be to imbarrasssing for you. You where paid for your rescues, even the ones you temporarily abandoned!!!!! Who would leave the scene when CPR is in progress......only your employees. Your helicopters are the only machines on the mountain that caribou run from and sweat up from.....how many die from this Mike!!!!! People who read this know that anything that starts with Heli= huge polloution and alpine animal harrassment. Mike, how far do the caribou run when they are next to your pick up points and you land any way....once again more sweated up caribou and they don't have lodges to dry off in!!!! Mike you should hang your head in shame and appoligize to the families of the deceased as publicly as you condem them.

C

carbondaddy

Nov 26, 2007
Revy
Mike Wiegele was on Global BC this evening too. It's too bad that idiots like this will use their power and position, as well as the unfortunate accidents of others to force their own personal agendas. He didn't make mention of all the heli-ski accidents through the years.

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Mike Wiegele.... Ugh I'm really not a fan of this pr!ck. He has it in his head that he owns the whole mountain range from North of Valemount to South of Blue River. Correct me if I'm wrong but Mikey is retired and his daughter runs the business, no? Either way those statements he made in that interview are rediculous. I'm curious to find out more about that skier that unfortunately lost their life in a tree well? IMO, he never thought in his wildest dreams that sleds would be accessing the same areas as his choppers. Pack enough gas and its possible. Maybe we sledders can organize a bit of a rally outside his operation, get some media attention, lay out some facts and pull back the covers on his not-so-perfect operation. Two can play this game. Play ball...

I'm all for education towards avys and backcountry safety but I'll be damned if some yuppy tells me that I can't ride my sled on CROWN LAND.:mad:

A
Nov 27, 2007
Salmon Arm
Mike Wiegele was on Global BC this evening too. It's too bad that idiots like this will use their power and position, as well as the unfortunate accidents of others to force their own personal agendas. He didn't make mention of all the heli-ski accidents through the years.

Sounds like this guy needs some skeletons in his closet revealed and publicized like his heli-skiing accidents, etc. Idiots like this should be delt with and debated by someone in the snowmobile federation in a news debate or something just to clear the airways of his bs. The public swallows this crap up unfortunately. Maybe we should start a petition to have him deported back to his little Austria.

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
Hah hah ! he's getting slammed on other forums ! this is so funny. Sounds like mr. Mike just opened up a HUGE can 'o worms for himself. mr. Mike, you forked with the wrong group of people..... here's a post by Steve L :

I am looking forward to sledding on Wiegele's runs this winter.My group of sledders has not interfered with his operation,even though he keeps getting in our face about "HIS" land as he has put it directly to us.With comments like his about banning us,I guess the gloves are off now Mike.I can't wait to go and rip up every hill that your customers ski on this coming season.We have not done what you have been accusing us of for years,but now I think we will! Mike has been trying to get rid of us for a long time now.I thought that this was public land?Who is he to make statements about us.He doesn't care about our safety at all.

I feel the same way. As a matter of fact, we should get all the sled boarders and skiers out there so they can enjoy some of mr. Mike's fresh BC backcountry pow pow.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I feel the same way. As a matter of fact, we should get all the sled boarders and skiers out there so they can enjoy some of mr. Mike's fresh BC backcountry pow pow.

That would be awesome. I wanna come.

I've been a skier for decades and when I read the title post, all I could think was "wait....the same wiegle that has been flying a friggin helicopter back and forth dropping off people with questionable avy knowledge for eons?"

Yup.

That ****er can't be serious.

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
Hey ! anyone from Blue river want to guide me and 5000+ of my good sledding buddies into one of Mike's best tenure areas ? :D:beer; this could be fun... maybe we will even make the evening news !

P
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
After reading the blogs which made me just more pizzed, it floors me that some people can complain about the loud snowmobiles distrupting their peacful cabin experiance and on the next note complaining about wildlife habitat.... When in all reality they seem to convieniently forget the land which was cleared for their cabins, the logistics and environment distruptions to make their peacful cabin experiance happen. I see it more and more the land around ski resorts/towns being cleared and expanded into "wildlife habitat" for their OWN "Rustic" experiance... How does those fall into any kind of environmentally sound plan in their books, how do they justify this??? Just blows me away these are the type of people we are constantly fighting, and the type of people who back this Wiggle dude (well I guess this is his clientel so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised there). Now Marmots fired up... :mad:

P
Nov 28, 2007
Kitimat B.C.
Hey ! anyone from Blue river want to guide me and 5000+ of my good sledding buddies into one of Mike's best tenure areas ? :D:beer; this could be fun... maybe we will even make the evening news !

Publicity is fine, but we can hit the eurotrash fag; and his compatriots as well, in their wallets at the same time.

One weekend of organized ANARCHY, over 1000 sleds spread out over 40 heliski areas.................we could screw alot of runs for weeks.

S
Feb 25, 2009
Prince George, B.C.
This is an article posted by Castanet.net news group and this dillhole also ran a radio program on CBC telling everyone how the government should shut down sledding on crown land. This comes from Mike Weigle who is an import from Austria. He is a very pompous azz who is rich so he thinks he owns everything around him. Well, just for this Mr. Mike , I am going to make sure that I and all my turbo buddies rip up and screw up all the fresh pow on all your precious heli ski runs next year. This is crown land he is talking about, the land that I have a god-given right to access and recreate on. I was born here and have paid taxes here all my life, I'll be damned if some import is going to tell me where to ride. friggin azzhat.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened up my local rag to see this trash splashed across the page!! This Wiegele is trying to ban our sport because he can't seem to find enough fresh stuff for his foreign clientele!!

The B.C. Snowmobile Federation is going to have to come up with some kind of rebuttal to this damaging article!! This is going to have to be done ASAP!! We as snowmobilers are going to have to all get together and fight this one and it's not going to be an easy fight.

Not to go too indepth into the arrogant owners of these heli-ski operations and how they seem to think that all the land is theirs exclusively....but I am getting tired of hearing about all the closures and now the bans directed ONLY at the sledding community!! WTF?? Why is it that we are always targeted?? When they have caribou closures the sledders lose vast amounts of their area but the heli-ski and backcountry lodges lose NOTHING!!

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
After reading the blogs which made me just more pizzed, it floors me that some people can complain about the loud snowmobiles distrupting their peacful cabin experiance and on the next note complaining about wildlife habitat.... When in all reality they seem to convieniently forget the land which was cleared for their cabins, the logistics and environment distruptions to make their peacful cabin experiance happen. I see it more and more the land around ski resorts/towns being cleared and expanded into "wildlife habitat" for their OWN "Rustic" experiance... How does those fall into any kind of environmentally sound plan in their books, how do they justify this??? Just blows me away these are the type of people we are constantly fighting, and the type of people who back this Wiggle dude (well I guess this is his clientel so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised there). Now Marmots fired up... :mad:
It's the "Now that I'M here phenominon" thing, just like Canmore and Banff and now Whistler is going through. Now that I'm here I wish this developement would stop. For the sake of the environment of course!!!! Pave over a little more wilderness and complain about someone else scaring animals. Build a second or maybe third home or cottage and complain about deforestation. Another article had someone complaining about the negative affect of snowmobiles and suggested skiing at Whistler was much less of an environmental impact because the lifts are ELECTRIC!!!! Holy sh!t, and it's getting all sorts of media attention. Ofcourse it's in Whistler though. Last time I checked, CROWN land was not owned by anyone. Not even Mike.

Premium Features