• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nelson and Area riding?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Thanks. Could you give me any idea about where staging areas are? I'm not very familiar with this area at all. Are trail maps available?

Last edited:
N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Thanks. Could you give me any idea about where staging areas are? I'm not very familiar with this area at all. Are trail maps available?

Try looking here, might be something.
http://www.takeforum.com/csa/viewforum.php?f=6&mforum=csa

if you search Google there will probably be some maps, also maps.google.ca
will help you find some good areas. What are your riding abilities and what are you looking for? Some steep and deep stuff still to ride or you can just go for the nice spring cruiser....Are you looking at all the Kootenays or just the Nelson area? Castlegar has tons of riding around the area, we are heading out that way this weekend for a week of fun and sun (and snow!!).

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Try looking here, might be something.
http://www.takeforum.com/csa/viewforum.php?f=6&mforum=csa

if you search Google there will probably be some maps, also maps.google.ca
will help you find some good areas. What are your riding abilities and what are you looking for? Some steep and deep stuff still to ride or you can just go for the nice spring cruiser....Are you looking at all the Kootenays or just the Nelson area? Castlegar has tons of riding around the area, we are heading out that way this weekend for a week of fun and sun (and snow!!).

Just looking for an easy ride fairly close to Nelson. Actually it's my son who is going out there to visit his inlaws. I figure he may as well do something fun while out there. His brother in law has never been on a sled so it's time to get him started. :)

K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
Yup. Meadow Mountain is always excellent this time of year, or up to Ymir area towards Salmo and Porcupine as well.

Just saw the announcement in the Pennywise, Meadow Mountain opens up soon, I think first weekend in April? I'll find out tomorrow, don't have a copy here at home.

Not too many people know this, but the Beaver Valley Snowmobile club has a stewardship agreement with Darkwoods/Pluto to ride up Porcupine. I have been told numerous times by our president :rolleyes: that we are supposed to "document" any other sledders up there and report them. :face-icon-small-dis Yah, ok. :face-icon-small-coo

I don't know all the legalities to it, but just wanted to let you know some people are trying to make it hard on non members if they're riding there. PM me and I'll give you some more insight.

Retired-pop, depending on whether he's hauling a big trailer or not will be important to where he wants to ride. Some staging areas are just not trailer friendly, especially now that spring is almost upon us and the drop off area starts higher and higher up the trail!

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Not too many people know this, but the Beaver Valley Snowmobile club has a stewardship agreement with Darkwoods/Pluto to ride up Porcupine. I have been told numerous times by our president :rolleyes: that we are supposed to "document" any other sledders up there and report them. :face-icon-small-dis Yah, ok. :face-icon-small-coo

I don't know all the legalities to it, but just wanted to let you know some people are trying to make it hard on non members if they're riding there. PM me and I'll give you some more insight.
Good to know. I don't have a problem with supporting a local club (buying a day pass or trail pass) if it keeps areas open, but they gotta let us know. Don't know if there is a sign or not, that's the first time I have ever heard of that so they need to get the word out more. If they are just using it as a means to push memberships on people, kinda like the Bombi incident? Difficult to justify a position of being "hard" on non-members when you don't provide them the information at the trailhead and wait until they are half way up the mountain, then stop them and yell at them for being a non-member.... :)
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.... :D
Thanks for the info!

K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
Good to know. I don't have a problem with supporting a local club (buying a day pass or trail pass) if it keeps areas open, but they gotta let us know. Don't know if there is a sign or not, that's the first time I have ever heard of that so they need to get the word out more. If they are just using it as a means to push memberships on people, kinda like the Bombi incident? Difficult to justify a position of being "hard" on non-members when you don't provide them the information at the trailhead and wait until they are half way up the mountain, then stop them and yell at them for being a non-member.... :)
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.... :D
Thanks for the info!

I'm not a big fan of dictating to people that they can't ride somewhere, personally I don't see why any other clubs can't ride there. Last BV meeting they said there has been past problems with other clubs riding there and sledding where they aren't supposed to, specifically Castlegar guys (I don't know how they figure that?) and that they don't necessarily want "those" people joining the BV club just so they can ride Porcupine. Legally I don't know 100% that Darkwoods outright owns the land. Just like does P&T own the land they have timber rights to? Can't see it going to court if someone is up there sledding and NOT wrecking a newly planted cutblock. Would be nice to check with a lawyer who specializes in land issues to see what's up. As of yet, BV club is not grooming Porcupine and I believe they are pulling the groomer out of Bombi, some discrepancy with Atco. They are going to try to get a stewardship with Atco for Bombi, and if so, watch the sh!t hit the fan if it happens. A LOT of locals enjoy riding the area without joining the club.

H

hardcore2

Feb 26, 2003
Cranbrook BC
Maybe you guys should join a club and find out what is involved withkeeping all these areas open for your enjoyment . Grooming is only a very small part of what is happening out there , Get involved and spend your money on helping or we won't have any riding left soon . I don't know what they are charging over there but it's only $75.00/year in Cranbrook , can you afford that ???

K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
Maybe you guys should join a club and find out what is involved withkeeping all these areas open for your enjoyment . Grooming is only a very small part of what is happening out there , Get involved and spend your money on helping or we won't have any riding left soon . I don't know what they are charging over there but it's only $75.00/year in Cranbrook , can you afford that ???

For the record, I am and have been a member of the BV club for the last couple of years since I moved to this area, and have joined the local club to where I have lived before moving here. I 100% agree with joining at least 1 club as we need members to keep the areas open. The BV club does NOT have tenure on any particular area, though not due to their attempts. They just haven't been successful yet. To have a stewardship agreement with a land owner is one thing. Once they have a tenure on a piece of land, it will be another ball game all together.

Unfortunately certain clubs fall into a "routine" where the same members are re-elected to run the club and it goes stale. This particular club is where Castlegar was about 10 years ago and needs a complete turnover. I've attended meetings last year as well as this year and the same thing is happening. If you're not a buddy of one of the admin, your say doesn't mean anything. I think once they have a tenure, the club will move forward. Until then, it is just a select few who "own" a snowcat for their personal use through club members fees.

M

MenzToys

Nov 26, 2007
Castlegar BC canada
www.menztoys.com
castlegar club

the castlegar club has got a newer cat 1999 br180 it has been moved to the ladybird side this week as we will probably not groom the goose creek side any more this year which means no trail passes to the cheapo's out there,ride the bumps and see why you pay. ladybird will be groomed probably for the next 2 months.For those that have a problem with our club please come talk to the club don't whine on snowest. Our club has come a long way in the last 4 years[not reflecting badly on the previous executive who got tired of all the b.s.] My phone #250-304-7920 Wayne or Graham at 250-365-8268. Although we have suspended the collection of trail passes we may do some on the ladybird side as it will be groomed and it is getting lots of usage by nonpaying members. thx wayne

K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
Kevin thanks for the commendation on the changes the club has made hopefully it will keep our areas and keep our trails smooth.thx wayne

Wayne, I was a member of Castlegar's club before moving to the Beaver Valley, when the BS and political crap was dragging it quickly downhill. I've heard nothing but good things about the club now that it has some motivated leaders. Maybe you guys could get together with BV and give them some tips? :D

Kevin

K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
Well I had a conversation with the BV president tonite, apparently he and/or other BV members/admin felt my postings here were out of line. I was told to be careful of what I say on the internet and that this thread has been documented. :eek: Damn you copy/paste feature. :D

Dan or others from the club, I have no problem discussing issues I may have with club policies, if you have a problem with my postings here, take the 2 minutes to post here or call me like you did. I have posted positive things about the club along with the negative. These are my opinions. If you don't agree, that's your choice. I'm not saying I can run the club any better, nor do I wish to try. My plate is already full enough without it. I'll be happy to volunteer for any other activities though, especially when a tenure is received. I am more then happy to get out in the summer for some trail maintenance where needed.

And I think that it would be a good idea for a BV member to occasionally post info on Snowest along with other snowmobile boards to inform the general public about items like the stewardship agreement with Darkwoods/Pluto. They will never know if the word doesn't get out! Talking to a few people on the hill is a start, but putting that info onto a public forum will get spread a lot faster.

Kevin

Last edited:
N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
....I was told to be careful of what I say on the internet and that this thread has been documented. :eek: Damn you copy/paste feature. :D....

LOL!!! I support you 100% Kevin. Am glad to see that someone from the area has taken the initiative. Since my parents, sister and brother in law, and a large amount family and friends who snowmobile, still live in the area, I hear varying things from them on email and phone anyway about what is going on. I come back quite often to visit and bring the sled to ride when I can. If they think that it is only one person on the internet that is spreading a bad image of them, then they need to wake up. They do not have a popular image overall with some of the local riders, the internet is the least of their worries. Stayed away from Bombi and Porcupine when we where home just to avoid any hasells.

Wayne, thanks for the info. Used to be a member of the SnoGoers and the Castlegar club when I lived there. Haven't ridden ladybird since I moved away but might be something for next year. I don't think its that people are cheap (not IMO anyway), just not informed quite often. If I'm riding the snow anywhere (Fernie, Golden, Revy, Kootenay's, etc) I try and get as much info on the clubs and support them (trail passes, buying at vendors that support sledders, etc.) even though we may not be riding groomed trails maintained by the club or even in an area where the club has a agreement or otherwise.

Everytime I am in Golden (even just passing through in the summer) I make a point of stopping at the Dairy Queen and buying something (burger, pop, ice cream) because they support the local club, and we try and do this in most areas we sled. I think that people would much rather spend the $10 (I know I would) to be riding on the hills faster and easier than riding some bumpy trail for 15kms at 1/4 throttle. Its too bad that donation boxes couldn't be installed at the trailheads, but we all know that someone would simply steal them.

K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
LOL!!! I support you 100% Kevin. Am glad to see that someone from the area has taken the initiative. Since my parents, sister and brother in law, and a large amount family and friends who snowmobile, still live in the area, I hear varying things from them on email and phone anyway about what is going on. I come back quite often to visit and bring the sled to ride when I can. If they think that it is only one person on the internet that is spreading a bad image of them, then they need to wake up. They do not have a popular image overall with some of the local riders, the internet is the least of their worries. Stayed away from Bombi and Porcupine when we where home just to avoid any hasells.

Thanks! For a bit there I thought that maybe it WAS me! :D I have talked to lots of guys who feel the same way, several from Castlegar, but unfortunately they are still having a hard time figuring out how to turn their 'puter on let alone post here. :D

Premium Features