• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tach question

T

Teddy

Dec 26, 2007
HV-GB,NL,CANADA
my new clutch is on the way and i need a tach to dial it in. im looking to mount one permanently somewhere on the handlebars. i was wondering what kind of tach's are you guys using and where you are mounting them. thanks

Dec 4, 2007
pa
just another hint for those ordering tach's the hawks have 2 sparks per rev
a lot of tach's read one per rev, so make sure you get the one that reads 2!

ie
TT226NR-2C Standard Model
Used on engines with one spark firing on each revolution of the crankshaft.
1 cylinder 2 stroke (reads 1x / revolution) Briggs, Kohler and Honda type engines.
4 stroke with electronic ignition and no points.
2C can also be used on 2 cylinder engines where the cylinders fire 1X per revolution.
Note 1: Engines frequently referred to as a "4 stroke" may not be a true 4-stroke because they fire on the exhaust stroke as well – requiring a 2C.
Note 2: You cannot reset, hours will accumulate.
$36.95
Add to Cart

TT226NR-1C Model for single or twin cylinder engines with a spark firing every 180 degrees of the engine crankshaft.
Jet skis generally use 1C.
Exception: 3 cylinder Jet Skis generally use our special "2X" model
Multi (4) CYL=1c wrapped around coil wire.
Note You cannot reset, hours will accumulate.

so to sum it up again the one you need is the second one ,TT226NR-1C

this tach is very easy to install wrap the red wire around your spark plug wire, and ground the other and your in buiss!!!

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
too small

The big problem with a tiny tach is it is imposible to read when going hard. If you want to tune your hawk you need to be able to read the tach. The price is nice though.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
Anyone tried a Trail Tech - Vapor Speedometer / Tach / temp Guage? There is acutally 2 RPM readings, one on a graph and the other digital. It will run on a CR32 battery for a year however you will have no backlight.
You can hook up a speedometer to the disk brake using a magnet bolt and sensor pickup. Heck for 84 bucks it beats any tach I've seen and you can have Water temp / Clyinder temp / Speedometer / odometer / and much more, + it's cool looking.

Ebay has them for $84 right now + $10 bucks shipping.
Trail Tech price is $120 clams.

Check it out:

http://www.trailtech.net/computers.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trai...62QQcategoryZ35594QQihZ011QQitemZ320286764037

gman out

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
I'm getting one, heck for the price of the Tach and the Water Temp alone it's worth it.

It hooks up just like the Tiny Tach ie; you rap a wire around the spark plug wire. the Water Temp hooks up with either a In-line water hose sensor or a screw in type like into an housing. The Cylinder temp goes under the spark plug. the Speedo goes on the Brake Rotor using one Bolt with a embeded Magnet in the head, and the sensor is mounted above the magnet circle. You then input a number into the computer as a ratio to get the correct speed (numbers are endless).

good stuff. You can get very nice metal protectors as well.

gman out

from there web site.........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The latest concept in motorsport on-board computation. A combined effort from experts in software, electronics, and mechanical design - each feature of this 4th generation product is carefully crafted and constructed with the offroad enthusiast in mind.
Speedometer
Tachometer
Temperature
Distance
Clock
Power
Model Specific Kits
More Features

vapor_tachometer_w450.jpg

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
By the way,
I called up Trail Tech and am working with the engineers on coming up with the exact Sensors (they come with the kit - well the Speedo and one temp does) to use on the Hawk. I send them pictures and dimensions of space and rotor dia and bolt circle dia along with the 6mm bolt size (for magnet)

I'll post the Part Numbers and other info (hopefully and kit number) when I get them. These things are just too cool. A buddy at the motorcyle shop told me about them and they use them all the time and will take the abuse.

Gman

"Maturity is highly overrated.."

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
Just got off the phone with the Trail Tech Engineer and the answer is "Yes" it will do 2 per 360 deg., you just enter 2 during set-up.

You need the Yamaha Raptor 700 (all years) Kit
-P.N. 75-2014

This has a 1" Inline water Sensor and a (p.n. 210-06) bolt type Sensor for a pick up, that will fit in are brake area.

-To set the speedo, you need to see how far the "track" travels (in Milimeters) per "1" revolution of the brake rotor and enter that number in at set up.

-I also found out that in addition to the "Odometer" it has an "Hour Meter"

I just bought mine from ebay for $99 with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=&item=200258933300

That's what I know for now,

Gman out.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Just got off the phone with the Trail Tech Engineer and the answer is "Yes" it will do 2 per 360 deg., you just enter 2 during set-up.

You need the Yamaha Raptor 700 (all years) Kit
-P.N. 75-2014

This has a 1" Inline water Sensor and a (p.n. 210-06) bolt type Sensor for a pick up, that will fit in are brake area.

-To set the speedo, you need to see how far the "track" travels (in Milimeters) per "1" revolution of the brake rotor and enter that number in at set up.

-I also found out that in addition to the "Odometer" it has an "Hour Meter"

I just bought mine from ebay for $99 with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=&item=200258933300

That's what I know for now,

Gman out.

I did some checking on this too. It does not say if it comes with a mount but shows one in a pic. I can order out of WPS so I will get one to try also. If you get yours mounted let us know how it works. THe tach is the most important to me and ? the bar graph style for readability on the move.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Kennewick, WA
Hey J & L,

If it makes you feel any better I ordered the Raptor kit per Trail Tech given numbers and then realized it had the 3/4" dia Water Temp Sensor. so I called back to Trail Tech and had them check it out again and Yep it was the Rhino kit that was need. so I get to return the Water Temp sensor............I can only do what I've been told.

By the way if you want to get a Protector mount the Snowhawk Handle Bar spacing is 100mm which will fit most all of the ones they sell.

http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_protectors.html

gman

Premium Features