• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bearpaw avy danger?

S
Dec 10, 2007
has anyone been riding bearpaw lately? some in our group are a little spooked after the avy swallowed those five riders. we are wondering if it is safe to rip around up there or if the avy danger is still too high? we would like to head up tomorrow so any inputs would be helpful and appreciated. thanks!

L
Dec 8, 2007
Bellingham,WA
Bearpaw

We were up there yesterday. Could have easily made it to the far lake. Climb most anywhere. We just watched out for any exposed areas with cornices and heavy windloads at the tops. We saw one chunck break off a ridge and slide down but it did not cause an avy just slid down the hill. There is a hard layer with about 8-10" on top of it.

As usual, knowledge and common sense go a long way sprinkled with a good dose of caution.

Here are a couple pics....

baker in cloud.jpg looking down.jpg BP jan 08.JPG

B
Nov 26, 2007
Sedro-Woolley, WA
Take a class!

has anyone been riding bearpaw lately? some in our group are a little spooked after the avy swallowed those five riders. we are wondering if it is safe to rip around up there or if the avy danger is still too high? we would like to head up tomorrow so any inputs would be helpful and appreciated. thanks!

The best answer is not to rely on someone else to make that decision for you. I would recommend that you and your buddies take a class so you can decide for yourself. Its not about if you should go...you are going to...its how and where you go that saves your arse.

By the way...your buddies should be spooked. Just my .02

BroT

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
The best answer is not to rely on someone else to make that decision for you. I would recommend that you and your buddies take a class so you can decide for yourself. Its not about if you should go...you are going to...its how and where you go that saves your arse.

By the way...your buddies should be spooked. Just my .02

BroT

While I agree that he should take a class, he is on the right path and asking questions, trying to get informed. How about giving some pointers of areas to avoid, things to look for at that particular area that could be beneficial to him and others?

They say that you should talk about the conditions, things to look out for, escape plans, and such when on the hill, what is wrong with trying to get others experience before even heading out there? First hand knowledge seems like a reasonable request, as it could save the riders from going in the first place if conditions are bad, and not putting themselves in a dangerous position.

If knowledge is power, why are there so few that give it?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Sedro-Woolley, WA
While I agree that he should take a class, he is on the right path and asking questions, trying to get informed. How about giving some pointers of areas to avoid, things to look for at that particular area that could be beneficial to him and others?

They say that you should talk about the conditions, things to look out for, escape plans, and such when on the hill, what is wrong with trying to get others experience before even heading out there? First hand knowledge seems like a reasonable request, as it could save the riders from going in the first place if conditions are bad, and not putting themselves in a dangerous position.

If knowledge is power, why are there so few that give it?

Ruffryder, if he has taken a class and is looking for info from others, you are correct and I stand corrected. Just don't want to see folks ONLY relying on what others are telling them because that is not enough.

Here is something to follow, it's called "ALPTRUTH" which is an acronym for the conditions below. Statistically 92% of all avalanche accidents happen when 3 or more of the following exist:

A - avalanches within the last 48 hours,
L - loading by snow, rain or wind in the last 48 hours
P - Paths, avalanche paths are identifiable by a novice
T - Terrain traps, such as trees, cliffs or boulders magnify the consequences
R - Rating, a rating of considerable or higher on the avalanche forecast
U - Unstable snow. Collapsing layers (whumping sounds) or cracks are clear evidence
Th - Thaw instability, recent warming of the snow due to sun, rain or warm air

BroT

K
Nov 27, 2007
Lynnhood
BroT -

Asking for 1st hand info on this board from someone that has recently been up there could yield answers to:

A - avalanches within the last 48 hours,
L - loading by snow, rain or wind in the last 48 hours
U - Unstable snow. Collapsing layers (whumping sounds) or cracks are clear evidence
Th - Thaw instability, recent warming of the snow due to sun, rain or warm air

Also, before even loading up the sleds at least partial answers could be found (through the noaa.nwac site) for:

R - Rating, a rating of considerable or higher on the avalanche forecast

And, if anyone's cool enough they could answer the question and add something like you're pretty safe until you come out of the trees on the trail up. When you get to the lake and play areas stop, turn your sled off, and take your helmet off. Look around for cornices and windloaded slopes. Dig a couple pits - even if other sledders made it up there before you. You never know.

I get what you're saying BroT - you can only be responsible for yourself. I happen to think sharing information is extremely important. I also really like the acronym you posted. ALPTRUTh. Pretty cool.

Kordero

O
Jan 2, 2008
Asking if avy conditions are safe from someone who's been there recently in my opinion could give you a false sense of security. Conditions change from day to day, sometimes hour to hour.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Asking if avy conditions are safe from someone who's been there recently in my opinion could give you a false sense of security. Conditions change from day to day, sometimes hour to hour.

Short response and a MOST EXCELLENT response!

Coming on here and asking if it is safe to ride somewhere is dangerous. There's the possibilty he might read the wrong person's post and think it is safe. IMO- sharing info is a great thing, but knowing where that information is coming from (does the person REALLY know what they are talking about) is the scary part.

Hopefully everyone is doing their own reading of the Avalanche reports. There is SO much information in there.

Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteGirl
Hopefully everyone is doing their own reading of the Avalanche reports. There is SO much information in there.

Washington is a very dangerous place when it comes to the back country.
It wouldn't be smart to take advise from someone you don't know!!!!!

Be smart, be safe and play safe.

Premium Features