• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Horns got dumped on for Christmas

Good morning from the Big Horns, I am sitting at Meadowlark this morning, the day after Christmas, my toes cold, getting the word out that not only is Big Horn Mountain Resorts (BHMR) under new ownership. It seems the gods are pleased about the transactions and have blessed us with some serious snow for December.

As a Ten Sleep local, the past few years have been rather disapointing when it comes to a the white fluffy stuff, I have hauled my skiis and sled up to Montana. This year I am again working for BHMR, not McCotter, but for a couple of guys who bought the place only a few weeks ago.

Christmas morning Santa brought me a fresh 10-11 inches of powder covering what I guess to be about a solid foot base. While I didn't get the sled out, I did ski all afternoon.

Last Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday) it snowed around seven inches and then the day after that there was an additional four! Anyway, I am just excited to see it snowing again and thought I would spread the word. If y ou have any questions just shoot me an email. You can probably talk to me directly at 1-307-366-2424.

Have fun out there and be safe this season!

Big Horn Belle (AKA Jilaena)

Last edited:
It is awesome! I will get a more accurate description when some of the sledders come back in later this afternoon. I am not sure if the trails have been groomed since the new snow. Also I wanted to let people know that we do not have permit stickers up here so pick them up in Buffalo or Ten SLeep before heading up the mountain.

W
Dec 1, 2007
WYOMING
Ok Belle,

Is Deer Haven open now ? Where are the new owners from ? and do they own the ski resort also ?

Its going to be hard to get us (snowmobilers) back in those lodges you know !

F
Nov 26, 2007
Bighorns Wyoming
Good ?????

Good ?? there AC!!! So whats the scoop there Belle... R things going to be better than the past few years at the lodge and deer haven ??? 2 say it went to CRAP under Mccotter is being overly nice in my Opinion !!! I hope these new owners can do a better job ???? I think I speak for all of us riders of the southern horns that if things do come around for the good up there (with the lodges) we would be more than happy to spread the word !!! Not knocking on U belle !I know u just work for them hope things work out for them and us guys and gals that ride this end of the Horns!!! Pray for SNOW we need it !!!! Keep up the good work and we will be sure to stop in and see you !!!!!!

Ok Belle,

Is Deer Haven open now ? Where are the new owners from ? and do they own the ski resort also ?

Its going to be hard to get us (snowmobilers) back in those lodges you know !

I hesitate to tell you all, but they are from California... I know I know. We are working on getting the liquor permits renewed at Deerhaven now. Tonight there is supposed to be several slednecks (JK) :face-icon-small-toncoming in and to open the bar we have to have a "private party". That's how we are getting around it.

I know it will be a long road not only to get the sledders and hunters back in here like it used to be, but also for the new owners to figure out how to manage it properly. I can't promise an overnight change, but I am hopeful as this mountain is dear to my heart, I live at the base of it!

Good ?? there AC!!! So whats the scoop there Belle... R things going to be better than the past few years at the lodge and deer haven ??? 2 say it went to CRAP under Mccotter is being overly nice in my Opinion !!! I hope these new owners can do a better job ???? I think I speak for all of us riders of the southern horns that if things do come around for the good up there (with the lodges) we would be more than happy to spread the word !!! Not knocking on U belle !I know u just work for them hope things work out for them and us guys and gals that ride this end of the Horns!!! Pray for SNOW we need it !!!! Keep up the good work and we will be sure to stop in and see you !!!!!!

For December, the snow is AWESOME!! :p

As for today, right now, we have the ski lodge open in full swing, food, beer, whatever. The lake has hardly any tracks on it! I expected it to be all marked up when I drove up this morning because of the fresh snowfall.

As soon as Deerhaven and Meadowlark lodges are open I will let you all know. We're still renting rooms but the food and bar side of it is still in the works.

Sigh. Keep your fingers crossed these guys are bettter than the last crew that owned it. I don't see how they could be any worse. THE SNOW IS GREAT though!

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Belle-

Keep us posted on lodge progress and snow. Good Sleddin!

R

richardsb014

Nov 28, 2007
Wyoming
Just returned from Meadowlark. Excellent start to a good base. Looked like maybe 14 inches of fresh on the lake. We need to have this new snow settle, then get another big storm to ease my concern about getting the powder sled off the trail more and keeping it pinned. Still see rocks and feel bumps when off the trail.

I arrived at the lake at 1:30 PM and put the first new tracks on the lake to test out my new exhaust and clutching work. Not sure why others hadn't been there earlier, but guess because of reports of no snow. Never did see many sleds.

We went to Meadowlark to get a drink for the wife and I and cocoa for my girls. The dining facility isn't open yet. As we were standing there and deciding what to do, this gentleman introduced himself. He is one of the new owners (Bob something...it sucks getting old and forgetting important stuff). As we talked, I got the feeling he really wants to get the resorts back to respectable. He was taking a break from talking to some VIPs (his terms) about the logistics of bringing everything up to speed. He is so new to the place; he doesn't even know what all equipment he owns, etc. We need to give him a couple of weeks to sort it all out. I feel he is interested in doing the right thing up there. It will be interesting to see if the snow will come and bring the customers he needs to make it work. More to follow.

The ski lodge is open, and serves food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have a bar and they were serving beer. Not sure about spirits and wine. They also have hot drinks available. We ended up there and warmed ourselves and our bellies.

FYI, he did state he needs cooks, chefs, bartenders, etc. Get the word out and if anyone you know is interested I would suggests contacting the Big Horn Belle. I bet she could steer them in the right direction.

Keep your fingers crossed for more snow, and great ownership! Let’s do our part and buy some stuff while we are there.

W
Dec 1, 2007
WYOMING
So when can we track up the ski hill? :D

Haha anytime in my eyes.. No highschool boy on ski patrol is going to catch you.. Plus there is a bunch of ways off the slope on top or of course on bottom.

Great some California people on our mtn.. I will give them a chance, but they have a lot of work to do..I just wish the lodges would have been sold to two different people.. Good competition breads good service !

I'll still just keep going North, and my day (quick family rides) I'll bring my own lunch and gas!

Nice to hear we got a start to the base, still a long ways to go.

Just returned from Meadowlark. Excellent start to a good base. Looked like maybe 14 inches of fresh on the lake. We need to have this new snow settle, then get another big storm to ease my concern about getting the powder sled off the trail more and keeping it pinned. Still see rocks and feel bumps when off the trail.

I arrived at the lake at 1:30 PM and put the first new tracks on the lake to test out my new exhaust and clutching work. Not sure why others hadn't been there earlier, but guess because of reports of no snow. Never did see many sleds.

We went to Meadowlark to get a drink for the wife and I and cocoa for my girls. The dining facility isn't open yet. As we were standing there and deciding what to do, this gentleman introduced himself. He is one of the new owners (Bob something...it sucks getting old and forgetting important stuff). As we talked, I got the feeling he really wants to get the resorts back to respectable. He was taking a break from talking to some VIPs (his terms) about the logistics of bringing everything up to speed. He is so new to the place; he doesn't even know what all equipment he owns, etc. We need to give him a couple of weeks to sort it all out. I feel he is interested in doing the right thing up there. It will be interesting to see if the snow will come and bring the customers he needs to make it work. More to follow.

The ski lodge is open, and serves food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have a bar and they were serving beer. Not sure about spirits and wine. They also have hot drinks available. We ended up there and warmed ourselves and our bellies.

FYI, he did state he needs cooks, chefs, bartenders, etc. Get the word out and if anyone you know is interested I would suggests contacting the Big Horn Belle. I bet she could steer them in the right direction.

Keep your fingers crossed for more snow, and great ownership! Let’s do our part and buy some stuff while we are there.

Thanks Richard, I may have met you, I was either behind the desk at Meadowlark or I was bartending at the Ski Lodge, I am a brunette....

Anyway, perhaps I will meet you one of these trips.

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
Thanks Richard, I may have met you, I was either behind the desk at Meadowlark or I was bartending at the Ski Lodge, I am a brunette....

Anyway, perhaps I will meet you one of these trips.

Who's the old blonde lady that works down at the ski lodge?!?! (looks to be in her mid 50's) I went and bought a bottle of water and as I was walking out to my sled an older blonde lady with glasses that works there was giving me a hard time about being there. Sorta made me feel un-wanted :face-icon-small-dis This was last Friday right after you guys got a marginal dumping. I unloaded at the North end of the Lake and was doing test runs on the lake, went over to the lodge to get a drink. Whattya gotta buy a ski pass to get respect? The gentleman that drives the silver jeep is a nice fellar, he appriciates business I spose. And it wasnt his wife that drives the tundra or Nissan or whatever that thing is. Ive never seen her before

Anyways, have always had fun up there in the last 15 years ive gone :) sept last Friday

Last edited:
W

wyodoo

Dec 1, 2007
gillette wyoming
Thanks Belle
I met one of the new owners over X-Mass weekend and he seems comitted to bringing back the Snowmobilers. The snow is great but the Forest service needs to open the gate on the trail West of the lake going to Deere Haven. Real dangerous. Thanks for the updates and we'll se you at the lodge this year.

S
Dec 9, 2007
Meadowlark

Big Horn Belle, Hello from the other side of the hill. I don't think I have met you but up untill a few years ago alot of us from Story used to come stay up there. It went down hill fast. I was just wondering if the new owners would think about putting a suggestion box out on the counter? You will probably get crapp from some people, but maybe some good suggestions too. I always thought it would be nice if they would build a bonfire area some where close to the lodge and maybe have Fri,&Sat night bonfires. People like fires on the mountain and it would probably bring people in. I know me and my sledding friends would be there, Just a thought. I hope the lodge opens soon. storyboy.

Premium Features