• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Tension, how tight is too tight??

I recently installed a M7 skid on my RX-1; it has the 159 x 15 Series IV track under it. Well, the skid geometry is such that the track tension is tight with the tensioners backed all the way out...maybe one inch deflection with light finger pressure on the track. That's way tighter than I would like, but is it tight enough to damage the drive shaft bearings? I usually run 1-2" sag with no pressure (till she rachets). I had to struggle to install the rear tensioner shaft shaft in the skid.

I'm thinking it's probably OK, factory specs are about the same (though with a shorter track), and the track will stretch somewhat in time. I'm planning on picking up a 162 x 16 at some point, but would like to put it off for a while (cash poor right now).

OK, what are your thoughts...am I going to be stuck in the back country with a siezed driveshaft bearing?

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
You should be fine, as you said the track will stretch some.

You could remove the rear axle and use a dremel to remove some material in the slot the rear axle sits. This will give you more adjustment. I had to do this to mine, but on the other side of the slot. I put a 162 on my 159 skid and needed more length.

Premium Features