• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bypass throttle safety switch on 08 M8?

S

Snowfix

Nov 29, 2007
Calgary
Is there any way to bypass this thing? I found some threads about older years having a 3 wire plug by the steering post, and you just disconnect the center pin, but I don't see that plug on my 2008.

Anybody done this on an 2008?

M
Nov 30, 2007
Its not an M8 but my buddies m7 melted the throttle cable and when he went to take off the throttle stuck wide open flipped him right off, but the tss kill the sled instantly, its there for a reason. If you are just wondering so incase of a malfuction, when my 900 was acting up (I think my throttle cable was out of adjustment) I just unplugged the throttle position sensor down by the carbs and rode out, it lost all timing advance but I made it out. I don't know if efi will work the same way.

W

woodies

if you ride with alefty throttle you need to install tether and use it instead of akill or key no problem. most sled simply disconnect wiring.that dosent work jump wire it

B

Budd

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern, ID.
the plug ins for the safety switch, the kill switch, and the reverse switch are inside the switch housing. you need small size torx to get it appart.

acwyo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Douglas, Wy
Thinking about putting new bars and throttle block on my new M8 so I am interested what you find. Haven't had problems bypassing them in the past, just unhook or jumper around. I would recommend a tether, although mine don't always get used and never had throttle stick.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Throttle safety switch.

Its not an M8 but my buddies m7 melted the throttle cable and when he went to take off the throttle stuck wide open flipped him right off, but the tss kill the sled instantly, its there for a reason. If you are just wondering so incase of a malfuction, when my 900 was acting up (I think my throttle cable was out of adjustment) I just unplugged the throttle position sensor down by the carbs and rode out, it lost all timing advance but I made it out. I don't know if efi will work the same way.

I wouldn't recomend unplugging the TPS. After working on carbs and reinstalling them at about 1 AM I forgot to plug it in and only got about three miles the next day before frying both pistons. I know it is supposed to retard the timing to a safe area but something sure cooked my engine. And no, I didn't cold seize it, was good and warmed up.
The middle wire is the one to cut on the 06 and previous carb sleds at least and your kill switch still works. I have had several safety switches get water in them and refuse to work right no matter what else you do. Cutting the wire was the only way to get the sled to run without a whole new switch assembly.

Premium Features