• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 rmk

Nov 27, 2007
i am looking at a 05 900 rmk just woundered if any body has herd of any engine problems with them or any other kind of problems with them. i have herd from some peple say that the have engine problems and i have talked to a few dealers from were im from and they say that they don't have any engine probs but they say there is a lot of vibartion on them and have had some probelems with the ecus on them and they tell me to stay away from them but just wounderd what some of you guys on here say about them and they also tell me that the 06 is better than the 05s just wounderd if that holds any truth?? and they also say that they are not the most power full
900s out there any help would be great thanks

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
you need to search
I had these same questions weeks ago and now we own two of them

I used the search button on this forum and found everything I was looking for and then some

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
The question is, are you going to keep it a stocker or are you going to build it up? They can be hit or miss but if you get all of the updates it will be a good ride. If you put some money in to it it could be great.

Nov 27, 2007
yea i was thinking about doing some stuff to it it all ready has a slp single pipe and can on it but for now im not going to do the big bore to it is it a ok sled with out the 975 big bore?? and they also need heat removal kits on them i have heard too just woundered if they are sled to stay away from thanks

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
no dude, they are good sleds. The best climbing sled i have ever rode was a 06 900 with the 166" track, SLP airbox, pipe, heads, can, vents, boondocker nitrous, holtz everything pn the suspension, and powder pro skis.

Nov 27, 2007
re 900 rmk

i have heard a lot of people say that they have had a lot of problems with the 05s but the 06s are a lot better was that a 06 or 05 that you heard about??

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have an 05 but the info I learned was from others.

The 06 clutch geometry changed the belt alignment causing less failure.

But better mounts and balanced clutch with torque stops solves the 05 AND the lesser 06 problem.

Belive the 06 had more injectors than the 05.

Have seen a new 05 & 06 with warranty go for $6500.

To get all mods before 975 kit (except pipe) $1,000 w/o labor.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
The sled will run great without the 975 kit and if your not ready to to throw that kind of money at it including 50/50 race fuel then focus on realiability, venting, and shaving weight.

There are 2 torque stops for the moter that will cut down on belt wear by SLP and they are easy to install, I am on my 3rd belt with 1500 mi. Loose the bogeys and go with sctatchers by slide kicks so you never have to worry about breaking them and backing up and your sled will run cooler for sure.

There are a million things you can do but that's where I would start, just my opinion take it or leave it.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
so the stock moter is not that reailable?? you mean

The stock motor has at least 14 problems.

1 Motor mounts fatique out.
2.Clutch is out of balance
3. Crank is out of balance.
4. Rubber cracks on intake boots
5. Oil cable sticks.
6. Front cooler adds heat
7. gas tank float desintegrates
8. gas tank cap holder crack
9 not enough secondary float
10 Piston skirts on 05 crack
11 improper bolt torque on primary
12 Clutch helix and weights wrong
13 Air intake plenum desintigrates with belt breakage
14 Power valve diaphrams crack and leak

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
The stock motor has at least 14 problems.

1 Motor mounts fatique out.
2.Clutch is out of balance
3. Crank is out of balance.
4. Rubber cracks on intake boots
5. Oil cable sticks.
6. Front cooler adds heat
7. gas tank float desintegrates
8. gas tank cap holder crack
9 not enough secondary float
10 Piston skirts on 05 crack
11 improper bolt torque on primary
12 Clutch helix and weights wrong
13 Air intake plenum desintigrates with belt breakage
14 Power valve diaphrams crack and leak

I haven't had a single one of those problems with my 06' ...

Regardless, I still decided to have a new crank/clutch done for it, and new motor mounts .... but I'm planning on needing that stuff sooner or later :D

But, mine worked just fine for me last winter, I only went through one belt in 800 miles.

Premium Features