• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Easy Bolt on Weight reduction ... what's possible??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Wondering what would be an easy "bolt on" weight to be able to get a 165" G4 down to?

Ti can
Lightweight pipe.
15" wide track (just for the sake of discussion, less rubber... just a weight thing... not a discussion as to which works better. )
Float EVOL shocks all the way around.
Cromo A-Arms.
Alt impact rear skid
BurlyBoards or Airframes.

Food for discussion.

attachment.php

summitx3_side.jpg

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Is it worth cutting the stock track down to 15" wide or does that not lose much weight?

Also what does a lightweight hood save?

I asked mountain fit if they'd be doing a G4 hood and they said they would. I didn't think to ask if they knew what it would save in weight.

What does a belt drive take off in rotating weight?

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
X models come with chrome-ally lower arms I believe or it it the uppers, either way there is a set of chrome-ally A arms in the system from the factory.

Cans are always a easy 10-15 lbs or a touch more depending on which one.

I believe the 165 X 16" X 3" weighs in around 49-50 lbs.

And the 15" wide 2.8" camso is releasing this fall is around 46-47lbs.

X model boards, I doubt a person would save enough weight to justify the cost, but that's me.

Rear suspension kit with Fox float Evols would save some weight for sure.

I believe my kit from Toms Snowmobile took around 10-13lbs out of the rear and close to 4-6lbs off the front shocks.

Belt drive would loss some weight plus some would be rotating weight as Winter Brew mentioned.

Under hood foam, dry it does not weigh much but frozen it does.

Few thoughts

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Tki belt drive will cut 10 lbs plus 3lbs rotating mass, wouldn't mess with the track you're riding one of the lightest newest tracks out there. A pipe and or can will save some weight too. Speed shop Inc makes great TI pipes and cans, also some aftermarket shocks save some weight and will b needed if you don't revalve the stock ones... I see the 850 being able to cut 15-20 lbs real easy

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
i dont think the whole chaincase weighs 10lbs? on the xm it was around a 3-4 lb saving

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Tki belt drive will cut 10 lbs plus 3lbs rotating mass, wouldn't mess with the track you're riding one of the lightest newest tracks out there. A pipe and or can will save some weight too. Speed shop Inc makes great TI pipes and cans, also some aftermarket shocks save some weight and will b needed if you don't revalve the stock ones... I see the 850 being able to cut 15-20 lbs real easy

The weight loss isn't nearly that much with the belt drive. When I converted on the XM I measured the difference of everything including fluids and it was a hair under 3 lbs. Throttle response was improved.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Wondering what would be an easy "bolt on" weight to be able to get a 165" G4 down to?

Ti can
Lightweight pipe.
15" wide track (just for the sake of discussion, less rubber... just a weight thing... not a discussion as to which works better. )
Cromo A-Arms.
Alt impact rear skid

Food for discussion.

Can is by far the largest weight loss.

Pipe nets a few lbs, but I'm not sure much more than that.

Lightweight battery in the case you have electric start is the second largest weight loss

Belt drive drops about 3 lbs

Evols in the front were good for about 2 lbs per side.

Rear skids are good for somewhere in the 6-8lbs range

If the hood and headlight assembly is like the XM< there could be a decent weight loss there

Bumpers are as light as you'd like them to be

Skis don't leave a lot left on the table

To drop significant weight aside from changing out the can, battery, shocks, and if the hood/headlight comes in heavy, you're going to have to look at moving ounces away instead of pounds.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The biggest bang for the buck on the G4 is going to be a lightweight can, a headlight delete (doo headlight assemblies are crazy heavy), belt drive, and adding some kind of rear suspension kit that gets rid of the torsion springs... I think you are looking at 10 lbs, 7 lbs, 3 lbs and 3-4 lbs depending on what shocks you use for a fairly easy 23 lb reduction in weight. Those numbers are on the conservative side. Like SH 24-7 mentioned, I always lose my under hood foam right away too.

I have given up on aftermarket a-arms for the simple reason that when I crush a set in the middle of a trip I can just grab a new set from a dealer instead of ruining the rest of the ride. Just not worth the hassle for the 3-4 lbs you are going to save.

I'm going to give the stock track a shot. They've really done a nice job lowering the weight there and the lugs seem to be just the right durometer to work well in lots of different snow conditions. I'm interested to see how the 3.5" pitch works also. Losing floatation and lug height going to the Camso 2.8" for a 4-5 lb weight loss doesn't seem worth it to me either. Especially when that Camso track hasn't been proven 100% yet.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Here's your belt drive answer I had mass and weight combined 7 lbs plus 3 rotating. G4 case is heavier. This is from tki owner tom.

If you read his text a little closer I believe he is saying 7 lbs total, 3 of that being rotating. Even that seems a little generous? I know Tom though, and he is a straight shooter for sure. I would like to see what the real differences are on a PRODUCTION sled. If it truly is 7 lbs total, SIGN ME UP!

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Tom is the most honest guy in the industry... Regardless I'm running tki set up... The stock can is somewhat lighter than xm models too but not by much, prob still can pull 10 lbs off w that or close to

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
If you read his text a little closer I believe he is saying 7 lbs total, 3 of that being rotating. Even that seems a little generous? I know Tom though, and he is a straight shooter for sure. I would like to see what the real differences are on a PRODUCTION sled. If it truly is 7 lbs total, SIGN ME UP!

Come on hobbes. You know you are going to buy one anyway.... :)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Ti can
Lightweight pipe.
Cromo A-Arms.
Alt impact rear skid

Food for discussion.

So the question is..
How LOW can you go???

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Gonna add about 190lb's stand on weight

And SkiDoo cast heavy duty bumpers
Should add a couple lb's

Last edited:
D
We install the TI Cans from Diamond S and have had zero issues. They do spend a lot of time making sure they fit and flow right. We are waiting on cans for the 17 model Doo because they don't want to build them and then find out Doo made a last minute change. +/- 18 lbs. to 3 lbs. Got a shipment for the Axis last week. They have improved them a bit so it will be interesting to see if it is noticeable.

Premium Features