• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Computer Guys - Can't change my home page

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
My home page is set to the old forum address...I go into Internet Options and have been trying to set it to the new address. I go in and change it, hit "apply" and then "OK" to close it out...seems to stick. When I hit my home page icon, it still goes to the old address...won't let my change stick. I go back into internet options and it's back to the old address. I can't change it to any other page either.

I have a virus or something? Spyware? Hidden Cookie or something? I've done a virus scan and spyware scan, computer comes up clean.

Help please. Thanks - Jim

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
If you're using firefox, that uses a different homepage than internet exploder does. Change the homepage in firefox prefs and it should go.

I do remember it being a pain to get my work computer to use about:blank rather than msn's trash.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I'm on explorer...never had any issue before changing it around.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Did the scan, found a few things and cleared them but it's still doing the same thing...annoying but not the end of the world.

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
Jim,

Do you have any anti-virus / anti-spyware software already installed...as in previous to this problem you are now having? Some of those programs have an option somewhere that includes "Lock IE's home-page settings" and it will be checked as the default. Take a look and see if your home page settings are locked in another program you are running. All you would need to do is uncheck that option, restart IE and reset your homepage, then go back and check the option again.

My advice would be for you to ditch IE7 for Firefox. Since you did not ask this particular question in any posts in this thread, I am obligated as a SnoWest forum user to give you unsolicited advice about how sh!tty your browser is. :D

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
I am running FireFox on my Mac, worked great for two day's then loads my home page but will do nothing else, So I trash it and then reload FireFox same thing, Works great for a few days now acting up again, Can someone help me, I am a New Mac guy only about two weeks in??

G

Gimpster

I had simular issues when Spybot and ad-aware free were on my system. I was told that they are a 'jacker' themselves. A suggestion was made to me to try a free Trend-micro virus remover on their site. It is pretty powerfull. I did and it was great. killed a lot of riff raff that was on my system. Trust me, I have been a firm believer that virus protectors were a money drain until I bought Trend Micro for my laptop. Never, have I had an antivirus on any of my computers, now I know I was dumb for not having one. Even when I log onto sites like racingjunk.com do I get warnings of viruses. Trusted sites I have had for years.

----- Gimpster -----

O
Dec 3, 2001
Ontario, Canada
I had simular issues when Spybot and ad-aware free were on my system. I was told that they are a 'jacker' themselves.

You were told incorrectly. There are a lot of "anti-spyware" apps out there with similar names and some of them are not legit. These are the ones typically advertised in banners on some questionable sites.

Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware are two very reputable apps.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Why don't you use Safari?

safari sucks IMO... It's not bad, lightyears ahead of IE, but FF is much more customizeable and seems to play nicer with flash/java/etc. I will say FF has some memory leaks that will wreak havoc after a while.

I've never heard of the homepage not sticking in FF before... if you type in "about:config" in the address bar, there's a preference named "browser.startup.homepage"... make sure that's updated with what you want it to be... aside from that, I have no idea why that wouldn't work.

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
Why don't you use Safari?

I am again but I was told to try FireFox and now that I did I like it better, Not huge dif but it is nicer and would like to stay with it if I can figure out what the problem is.:(

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Well, still can't figure out why...I followed all the suggestions on here and it still goes back to the old site (I think Snowest wants me to be there really bad). Guess I'll live with it. Annoying though...that people like to create bugs and viruses...I guess they have to get their thrills somehow, but I don't get it. One too many a swirlie for too many dudes out there I guess.

Premium Features