• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjustable Clutch Weights Contenders

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Sled- 2022 Matryx Slash 850 155

OK, I’m sure this is gonna start some heated discussions. But heading to Seeley end of Feb. and need to get some lighter weights for my P 85. Dealer installed 72 for some reason and so I’m going to buy 68’s for Seeley and maybe 70’s for home riding, maybe a bit less

Well, buying two sets of weights, you’re at the cost of most adjustable sets and I like the idea of easy adjustment. Only if the grind doesn’t change from factory. I’d love my 850NA to hit like the 9R, but let’s be real, it isn’t a 9R. ?

So, what kit would be beat for adjustability and stock “grind”?

Options I’m looking at…

Bikeman Snyper, Boondocker High Energy or SLP Magnum Force?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Whatever they say on the internet is the way to go... Hopefully Rusty can chime in as the Forum Know it All
I needed some entertainment and glad you were the first to help me out???

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I can’t help. The forum know it all doesn’t use adjustable weights. The forum know it all uses a different theory (TRS) that works much better.
Little do you know I have adjustable weights in my 9R. But you guys want to live in the past and claim the old is better than the new. Let's live in the past and never progress. I'll put my skills, Burandt's, and Caleb's against you old bastards who think the P85 is so much better. You and TRS need to go back to some RMK XLTs. These new sleds suck. Let's blame the clutches on why we suck at snowmobiling. Life is easy if you came blame everything on someone else ?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Rusty must be drunk... He just posted 3 times in a row responding to the same post... Too many Rainiers...

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Little do you know I have adjustable weights in my 9R. But you guys want to live in the past and claim the old is better than the new. Let's live in the past and never progress. I'll put my skills, Burandt's, and Caleb's against you old bastards who think the P85 is so much better. You and TRS need to go back to some RMK XLTs. These new sleds suck. Let's blame the clutches on why we suck at snowmobiling. Life is easy if you came blame everything on someone else ?

Little do you know Chilly, Ryan has a different clutch than your 9R. I was answering about P-85 and not a P-22.

Weights are completely different, profile, etc. Let the adults in the room handle this Chilly. You’re continuously embarrass yourself.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Little do you know Chilly, Ryan has a different clutch than your 9R. I was answering about P-85 and not a P-22.

Weights are completely different, profile, etc. Let the adults in the room handle this Chilly. You’re continuously embarrass yourself.
I'm talking about the fact of your snowmobile hero that you have a shrine of in your basement saying switch out the 22 for an 85. Like I said put the Rainier down and read these tomorrow so you can comprehend...

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Funny thing, is I simply asked about possibly anyones experience or opinion on an adjustable weight set and instead it turned into this.

What did I expect? Well… this…

Maybe tomorrow will be a new day with something.??‍♂️

Maybe I’ll just order the cheapest option and still be money ahead over two sets of factory weights.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I'm talking about the fact of your snowmobile hero that you have a shrine of in your basement saying switch out the 22 for an 85. Like I said put the Rainier down and read these tomorrow so you can comprehend...
I’m not a P-22 hater….. but I did have witness marks on my spider from the cover. The contact reduces belt squeeze at full shift out. I’m currently running a P85 on my 22 boost. When my 23 Boost arrives, I’ll ride the new stock P22 calibration and compare it to my P85 setup.

I can data log and compare rpm, rates of acceleration, etc….

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
Sled- 2022 Matryx Slash 850 155

OK, I’m sure this is gonna start some heated discussions. But heading to Seeley end of Feb. and need to get some lighter weights for my P 85. Dealer installed 72 for some reason and so I’m going to buy 68’s for Seeley and maybe 70’s for home riding, maybe a bit less

Well, buying two sets of weights, you’re at the cost of most adjustable sets and I like the idea of easy adjustment. Only if the grind doesn’t change from factory. I’d love my 850NA to hit like the 9R, but let’s be real, it isn’t a 9R. ?

So, what kit would be beat for adjustability and stock “grind”?

Options I’m looking at…

Bikeman Snyper, Boondocker High Energy or SLP Magnum Force?
I’ve had good results with Boondocker & the Snipers. Boondockers are easier to adjust, but the Snipers give more options/flexibility on how you load the weight.

No personal experience with the SLPs.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I’ve had good results with Boondocker & the Snipers. Boondockers are easier to adjust, but the Snipers give more options/flexibility on how you load the weight.

No personal experience with the SLPs.
Thanks. That’s part of it, not sure I want to mess with the weight setup of the snypers. Do they give you preset parameters with the bikeman?

I really want to ride and not have to move weights around. ?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Thanks. That’s part of it, not sure I want to mess with the weight setup of the snypers. Do they give you preset parameters with the bikeman?

I really want to ride and not have to move weights around. ?
Then you should listen to Caleb and just run what we says ?

R
Jan 3, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Funny thing, is I simply asked about possibly anyones experience or opinion on an adjustable weight set and instead it turned into this.

What did I expect? Well… this…

Maybe tomorrow will be a new day with something.??‍♂️

Maybe I’ll just order the cheapest option and still be money ahead over two sets of factory weights.
22 Kaos 850. I am running the Magnum Force. I am very happy with them. Sometimes I ride at place that most riding is at 6600ft. Other times I ride places at 8300. Then I may take a trip and ride a place that is mainly 4500. It is nice to be able to dial in the clutch for each spot. I personally don't mess with stock weights any more as changing them out for elevation takes a bit of time. I like the ease of easy adjustments on the SLPs.

I also run TRS tuning specs to properly align clutches and even had to use his motor mount kit to adjust my motor to get the proper leadin as I had way too much from the factory. Clutches and motor rips now and when properly weighted for elevation she is a ripper.

Rode my buddies brand new stock 9R back to back with my 850 which has Diamond S, lightened and balanced clutches from Patricks Carbon Custom, clutches all dialed in like stated above, and I was pleasantly surprised. Yes the stock 9R revs faster and hits harder off the bottom but the gap between the 2 sleds was not far off. Way closer than if you were matching stock to stock.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
My experience, adjustable weights CAN BE… not always… alot of fugging around.

It seems like magnum forces typically have consistently good feedback.

Me I like to take 10 minutes and throw the correct 10 series in and ride.

Premium Features