• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silencer mods

F
Nov 26, 2007
I have a 98 non ves 700 motor in a sled that has twin pipes right now, but they're rusting through and are too loud anyway so I bought a stock pipe and can for it. I like the pipe but my biggest hangup is how heavy the stupid silencer is... Are there any modifications I can do to it that won't hurt the hp too much and won't make it too loud to bear? Can I just cut off the curved end pieces and make my own lighter-weight concoction to plop in between? Has anyone done this? If so how'd you do it? Thanks for any input!

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I've never heard of anyone doing that but the SLP silencer will be 3 1/2 lbs lighter and won't be any louder that the stock one on that sled. They were pretty loud that year for a stock sled.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
I cut up the silencer on a 97 700, twice actually. It seems that the 97 700 hundreds have a little spark arrestor piece in them that would clog the flow, causing it to blow a side in the silencer eventually and melting a hole through the belly pan. So i cut off the end (circular part) with a plasma torch and took out the spark arrestor mesh. There really isn't much else to take out of these silencers though. Doing this didn't lose any weight, but the sled did run better.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
i was just looking on SLP's website. In the sales flyer they have a lightweight silencer for your 97 for $100 that's a killer deal. Just thought I'd let you know.

Premium Features