• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 viper 110# spring in front skid shock?

N
Jan 14, 2013
evanston, wy
I'm waiting on getting my 2016 viper mtx and was wondering if anybody knows what rating is on the stock spring for the front skid shock? I know the 2015 models have a 110# spring for stock. I called my dealer about this and they did not know. all they told me was there were some updates made on the skid (which I already knew that), they just didnt know if that was one of them. i would like to get zbroz 160 or 180 # spring. i want to get most of my accessories before the sled gets here. any help would be appreciated.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I'm going to be getting a new spring in the next day or two, but I'm thinking of going with the 180 since I'm 215 before my gear and probably 240ish with my backpack and helmet on.

N
Jan 14, 2013
evanston, wy
Mine is a 15 and honestly it isn't the front end weight so much as the front shock bottoming on all but the smallest of bumps. The handling was never an issue for me.

Well i cant wait until i get my new viper. talked to my dealer today and he says around thankskgiving i should have it. also i had asked them about the spring on 2016's awhile ago and he finally give me an answer today. you were right on. same as 2015's, 110# on center and 95# on front ski's. I'm gonna have all my accessories by the time i get the sled. still need to get my rollover valve from four stroke solutions. went and ripped up the little bit of snow we have up here on the side by sides today. i should have just brought my nytro instead, plenty up there for a road ride! about 8-10" up there on road! it's getting better and better! c'mon el nino! give us the good white stuff this year!

J

Jviper

Sep 20, 2015
Edmonton AB
i put the 160lb spring on my viper. i am 200lbs and it trenches so bad in the deep snow that i will be putting the 135lb spring back in before the next trip. 2015 viper mtx 162" with a 3' track.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
i put the 160lb spring on my viper. i am 200lbs and it trenches so bad in the deep snow that i will be putting the 135lb spring back in before the next trip. 2015 viper mtx 162" with a 3' track.

Was wandering if the stiffer spring would cause this.. I picked up a z-broz 160 lb spring as well for my 15 viper dont think i will bother installing it now

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

I find it interesting that a guy with 2 posts says it does not work when there are those of us that have ran this for two seasons and liked it

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

I call bul@#it. I have ran that way as have countless others and this is the first post saying otherwise.

Of course you could have set your air pressure wrong and caused an issue but set up correctly NO WAY does this 160 spring cause trenching. Trenching is worse with a 110 pound spring as you have too much weight on the skis.

J

Jviper

Sep 20, 2015
Edmonton AB
never had my turbo viper with a 3' stuck on flat ground before trying to pull away. Been running turbo sleds since 2009. Jrusher bought my turbo apex from me im pretty sure he knows i am not a troll.

J

Jviper

Sep 20, 2015
Edmonton AB
I call bul@#it. I have ran that way as have countless others and this is the first post saying otherwise.

Of course you could have set your air pressure wrong and caused an issue but set up correctly NO WAY does this 160 spring cause trenching. Trenching is worse with a 110 pound spring as you have too much weight on the skis.

I read over on totallyamaha that you mosty ride trails. I will give you a bit of credit that this setup was much easier steering on trails but in bottomless pow it didnt work that great. I have a exit x1 coil over rear shock so no the air pressure is not wrong.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE

I find it interesting you find the need to put others down and basically call them idiots. Maybe they should have done burnouts in the street before riding in the snow just to be sure.

The way the rear suspension of modern snowmobiles is designed, it makes sense he was trenching with a heavier spring. A 135lb would be better for him, allowing that front to compress and let the skid crawl up on top of the snow and float. Instead, with a 160lb he is noticing the spring being too heavy, causing the front end of the skid to be forced down, and not collapsing and letting it crawl up on top and float like the softer spring.

Just because one persons setup works for them, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. He was simply voicing his opinion and stating that the 135 works better than the 160 for his style of riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
never had my turbo viper with a 3' stuck on flat ground before trying to pull away. Been running turbo sleds since 2009. Jrusher bought my turbo apex from me im pretty sure he knows i am not a troll.

Hey Jason where did you get out riding? Ya i figured this spring might be a bit heavy to collapse front of skid.. Snow is bottomless which isnt helping much either..

J

Jviper

Sep 20, 2015
Edmonton AB
Hey Jason where did you get out riding? Ya i figured this spring might be a bit heavy to collapse front of skid.. Snow is bottomless which isnt helping much either..

frisby ridge on the on the nov 6/7 weekend. I was in bottomless last winter with the viper as well and never got it stuck pulling away on flat ground.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I find it interesting you find the need to put others down and basically call them idiots. Maybe they should have done burnouts in the street before riding in the snow just to be sure.

The way the rear suspension of modern snowmobiles is designed, it makes sense he was trenching with a heavier spring. A 135lb would be better for him, allowing that front to compress and let the skid crawl up on top of the snow and float. Instead, with a 160lb he is noticing the spring being too heavy, causing the front end of the skid to be forced down, and not collapsing and letting it crawl up on top and float like the softer spring.

Just because one persons setup works for them, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. He was simply voicing his opinion and stating that the 135 works better than the 160 for his style of riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes 135 suits his style of riding makes sense, we all have our own style. My comment came from knowledge that many have done this without trenching and letting it go unchallenged might convince others to pass by the one mod that makes the MTX rideable in deep powder (an opinion not a fact). TNT in Wyoming (http://www.tnt-motorsports.com/) is putting a 180 spring in M8's that are lighter in the front than a Viper.

By the way the MTX came with a 110 spring from the factory not a 135. 135 came in other Viper models, RTX, LTX etc unless he already changed to stiffer spring

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I thought jviper was our previously banned troll, ergo my harsh response. I apologize if jviper actually had an issue, in fact if you want help to make that spring work correctly message me and I can show you what we found with over a year of testing.

Yes vector boy too stiff a spring causes trenching. But what is too stiff? 160 seems to be an industry standard and the MTX and XTX Viper comes with a 110. With too much weight on rear skid shock and skis you get a sled without proper weight transfer. Try this if you have a stock Viper, have friend ride your sled and have him pin the throttle taking off on good snow. You should see transfer, back of skid dropping and front raising....and I bet you see very little. This cause poor traction and skis lift as there is no transfer. Putting a 160 spring in actually reduces ski lift.

If you put in the 160 in place of the stock 110 you probably need to adjust the rear shock as you had to set it wrong to get the sled to work with the 110. If you leave the rear hard as you probably set it with the 110 then when you put the 160 in you make the skid stiff and can cause trenching. Set rear shock down and that puts more weight on the 160 and makes it flex and work as it should. If rear skid shock is float try 110 to 130 on the air pressure. Put in 160 and spin collar until it hits and two turns to start. When set correctly with the 160 spring you can lift the front skis off the ground by the bumper, with some exertion of course.

Another cause of trenching in the Viper can be the clutch, hard to get on top the snow when the clutch slams in. I highly recommend the Soft Start spring from "Barn Of Parts" its finishing rate seems to be very near the green/white/green that came in previous Yamaha mountain sleds but you take off at around 2600 rpm

Anyway sorry for harsh response but when you spend as much time and money as I have making mods for you guys for free I can get touchy when somebody says something so tried and proven does not work.

Note: below pic is where we ride in the deep powder, we are not stuck I stopped to take pics.

Now lets go ride

10614168_944074718949954_7305855520561491140_n.jpg

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Well i cant wait until i get my new viper. talked to my dealer today and he says around thankskgiving i should have it. also i had asked them about the spring on 2016's awhile ago and he finally give me an answer today. you were right on. same as 2015's, 110# on center and 95# on front ski's. I'm gonna have all my accessories by the time i get the sled. still need to get my rollover valve from four stroke solutions. went and ripped up the little bit of snow we have up here on the side by sides today. i should have just brought my nytro instead, plenty up there for a road ride! about 8-10" up there on road! it's getting better and better! c'mon el nino! give us the good white stuff this year!

When you get that stock spring out of your 2016 could you please measure length? Literature said the skid shock spring was going to be 1.25 inches longer than 2015. 160 is probably still best way to go just curious if they really did make the spring longer trying to fix the known issue.

Premium Features