• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Paint

I
Nov 27, 2007
I just bought a 2004 King Cat off of a younger kid who decided to put his own custom paint job. The problem is he just took the stickers off the sled and sprayed some rattle can paint on the hood and called it good, now the paint is just kind of pealing off in chips, what is the best way to get this spray paint off without ruining the original color of the old paint?

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
Did he Sand the old plastic? These hoods are not painted they have color impregnated plastic. So if you need to, you can sand the hood with 2000 grit sand paper and buff it to bring the color and shine back! If he didn't sand it at all take it to your local car wash and power wash the old paint off.

I
Nov 27, 2007
no it dosent look like he sanded anything just painted over the gloss hood. Will a regular gas powered pressure washer work? I think mine is 5hp and 2200 or 2000 psi i beleive.

C
Oct 17, 2001
Ft Collins CO
Try oven off. It will take certain types of paints off. It will work on paints like One Shot. Do a test spot to make sure it dosen't hurt the original paint. I am pretty sure that they were painted from the factory. I have never seen an impregnated plastic hood. At least my buddies 04 kk hood wasn't. I stripped all the paint off when I repainted it last year. If that don't work do Like snowcross said try a high power pressure washer.

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
no it dosent look like he sanded anything just painted over the gloss hood. Will a regular gas powered pressure washer work? I think mine is 5hp and 2200 or 2000 psi i beleive.

That should work fine, probably a little more pressure than a car wash, didn't mention that cause I wasn't sure you had one, not many people do.

To answer the question about color impregnated plastic Cujo, was the paint you stripped off really thick? Cause that is the color impregnated layer of the Acrylinatrile Butadene Styene (ABS) hood. If you don't believe me try plastic welding a crack in an Arctic Cat hood, it flakes away down to the second layer of black ABS plastic.

Watch How It's Made they have a good show on plastic. Maybe I'm wrong though, because I've only fixed, sanded and painted about 300 of those hoods in my shop.

C
Oct 17, 2001
Ft Collins CO
Yes, I have plastic welded several hoods, including my own. Are you sure the hoods are not a TPO? You can usually find out what kind of plastic it is by heating it ( use a grinder). If it urns shiny black it is generally a TPO. I could be wrong though. I have been wrong once or twice in my life.

Last edited:
F
Nov 28, 2007
Evans, WA
If it is molded, I believe that it should have a couple of markings on the underside of it. Like a time,date,shift stamp. Sometimes they have the type of mat'l. in the markings as well. If I remember right from my moldmaking days.

Premium Features