• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gripper Ski Install

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
I have a set of Gripper skis I am going to install on my '13 XM. I have read a lot of stuff that says modifications need to be done but nothing really explaining in detail what needs to be done. I have the skis centered now with Tom's kit. What am I going to need to modify to get these skis on?
Thanks

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Not sure on your XM, but for my XP, I used a combination of the factory Skidoo spacer and added washers (one heavy, one light) to make the change. I think that the change over is a straight fit for the US measured Gripper (2010 and earlier) skis, except you will need a longer bolt.

Things to watch-- the Gripper skis were US until 2011. Newer ones are metric. I had a US (3/8) Grippers. My 2010 Skidoo uses metric, so I needed to stay with that, for the ski leg bushing diameter.

Bonus tip:
I didn't have the Polaris factory ski insert bushings. Solved it in the hardware store little pull out bin/drawers:
3/8 x 1/2 x 1 inch steel spacer inside a
1/2 x 5/8 x 1 inch steel spacer topped off with a
9/16 flat washer.

On the newer metric grippers, you need ream this repair spacer from 3/8 to 10 mm with a 13/32 bit, which made a hole about 10.3mm. There, you just saved about $38 per ski on the insert bushings.

Last edited:
S
Sep 22, 2005
Pocatello, Id
I grounded mine out on my 12 xp...and my buddy ground his out on his 13 xm. We then cut two rubber strips to insert in the mount, 2 for each ski. Also had to add thicker washer. Then installed the stock Skidoo rubber saddle. Made a dramatic change to the handling.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
I grounded mine out on my 12 xp...and my buddy ground his out on his 13 xm. We then cut two rubber strips to insert in the mount, 2 for each ski. Also had to add thicker washer. Then installed the stock Skidoo rubber saddle. Made a dramatic change to the handling.

X2.......this is what I did as well on my 14xm last year and worked great. Needed that extra rubber under the stock skidoo rubber saddle.....

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
I ended up grinding out the ribs and then putting a piece of 3/16 aluminum plate down in the recessed area and then putting my Ski-Doo rubber on top of that. It was a little tight getting the bolts through but I made it. Also put 2 extra Polaris washers in to take up the slack from the difference in spindle width. Now if it would just snow I could try it out.

D

doopower

Sep 20, 2011
Lytton, IA
get 2013 and newer polaris aluminum spacers.
get 2 polaris screws(bolts) and locknuts
get polaris rubbers
get 8 convex steel polaris washers

take the ski doo bushing and place the aluminum spacers on each side of the spindle. keep grinding the ski bushing until it is flush with the aluminum spacers on each side. then place one of the convex washers on each side of the bushing. this will make the whole assembly very tight in the ski saddle, which it needs to be. I used the polaris rubbers because the ski is made for it and they won't come out. then use one convex washer on the head and nut side of the bolt.

only drawback, the bolt kit was 80 bucks. skis are way better.

Brett

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Use the skidoo rubber.

Lots of poo guys running the rev/xp rubbers with much better luck than the crappy poo rubbers.

Grease the top of the rubber.
Helps against tearing.

No grinding of the ribs required.
Nice and tight.

Premium Features