• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

School me on snow bikes

F

freeflorider

Mar 29, 2010
In the koots...bc
So I'm interested in knowing about the pros and cons of these snow bikes. How are they to ride and what size is the best to track up! We climb into mountain lakes on our sleds, pull the big shoots with turbos but feel a change of pace might be in order. There aren't any of these in our area and maybe it's a new trend for me to start...u tube vids make them look sweet but wanted some good feed back from the riders...what are they capabilities ?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The most fun you can have with with a snow suit on:D

Not nearly as fast as a turbo sled or capable on straight line climbs.
But if you like riding for the challenges and some new experience they are of the clock for pure riding fun.:cheer2:
Not really a sled and not exactly like a bike either but incredibly capable once you figure them out.

If you ride bikes this is a natural progression for winter use if not it may take you a few more rides.

cheers.....

Nov 6, 2012
Avoiding the argument of which is better, I'll just say they're different.

If you're into making big power pulls up nasty chutes and screaming across open meadows at 80mph you'll find the bikes severely lacking.

If you're into blasting through tight trees, crazy sidehills, hardly getting stuck and not worrying about what it's going to cost next time you don't make a hill, then you'll find the bikes amazing.

If you still want to ride with your sledding friends, avoid the tighter trees or big hill climbs and you will all have a blast.

U

upfront719

Sep 5, 2010
Cadillac, MI
I love sledding, but was ready for something new. If you want a "new challenge" then snowbiking is the answer.

I haven't regretted the investment. The only time I want to be on a sled is when we're riding down really icy trails or if I'm taking my 2.5 year old son for a ride. Besides that, my sled sits in the garage and is a table for beer as everyone checks out the bike :)

I highly recommend it....

B/T youtube vids and posts on this site you should be sold pretty easily. I will say that the more bikes you have, the better it will be. There are only two of us that ride by me with bikes, but I see that changing next season!

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
I ride motocross . I love launching my turbo nytro.. Doing big drops and gap jumps .. Wondering if the snow bike can be jumped and dropped the same ?

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
I watched the videos with Derrick driggs jumping ?..nose high is there a reason he does this ? It looks painfull ! When I jump my sled or bike I'm usually level with the landing .. In the one vid he land extremely nose high and it slams him vilolantly over the bars omg?

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
today was my sixth day on the horse riding with my sled buddy our snow is pritty bottomless right now i helped him get unstuck several times today and as he was resting i was tearing up every small opening and every tree line not accessible to a sled. Rode my son yesterday on my sled he is 3 that is the first time my sled has left the garage. He is scared of my horse when i can get him on it i think my sleds will be gone. All i can say is riding the horse is everything dirtbikes and snowmobiles are not.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I watched the videos with Derrick driggs jumping ?..nose high is there a reason he does this ? It looks painfull ! When I jump my sled or bike I'm usually level with the landing .. In the one vid he land extremely nose high and it slams him vilolantly over the bars omg?

I would approach big drops with some caution . The bikes are Ski Heavy and can dig pretty bad , I did move my Food-pegs 3" back and Bars 2" up that helped also the new 10" ski makes a big difference. I would consider putting pegs right back on the MH kit itself for the big drops just to balance the ship.

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
Thanks this is awesome ! I'm getting sick of throwing money at my sled to make it better ! I have 2 dirt bikes in the garage collecting dust

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
What about the grip heaters on aluminum bars ? How do you get them to build heat ?
How do you wire them to a motocross bike like the yzf 450?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
:light: Lighting coil needs to be installed for power, most don't need warm hands since the steam is evaporating off their wrung out hands.

Double up element on clutch side or insulate with layer of friction tape prior, throttle side needs to step down a notch in society and trade billet for OEM tacky plastic.

Sell that quad and pick up a shweet YZ450F!:face-icon-small-sho

Premium Features