• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bumper weight

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
Who has had a chance to pick up on the back bumper of a new Cat? Did the 800 feel the same as the old 800? My M7 scales out at 450 and it is lighter at the back bumper than a stock HCR but it still feel a lot heaver to lift that my friends Stock 09 Summit 146. I can barely lift the back of my sled if it is stuck. I can do way better digging out a new Polaris or Doo. It is getting to be a big deal to me since I get stuck in places most of my friends can't get to.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I thought it was lighter. significantly. front FELT lighter too..

I was at the show with my Grandma, she is 68, (not one of snowmobiler's jokes :) ) she can't even budge the back bumper of her 08 m8.

these are just my observations/opinions. don't get mad at me...he asked. and I CAN'T PROVE IT, so don't even ask Mike! ;)

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
yeah...forgot that part in last post.... :0

she lifted the back end 5" off the ground. wasn't easy but she tried her 08 when she got home and couldn't budge it. not exactly scientifc but facts are facts.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
When i was at the West Yellowstone show I remember picking up the rear end of the summits and everyone thought they were way heavier than the pro or pro climb...

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
she is a pretty cool grandma

She got me into mt riding 10yrs ago. I was poundinthe ditches on my zrt600 and she took me to w yellowstone with the group she went with. I traded for a mtcat 800 the next yr and have been going out to west yellowstone, Cooke, dubois, and togwotee 1-2x yr since. she was going EVERYWHERE on an 02 mtcat 600le all black and chrome, boss seat, riser simmons skis, till last yr when she saw the nightfire m8 and fell in love with it. sold off her 600 upgraded the seat put a Skinz can on It and loves the thing. she got her hip replaced last spring and rehabbed all summer outside so she could go this winter. she got back midmarch from her last trip to Togwotee and is having her other hip replaced next week. Dr wanted her to do it in nov-dec but she told him she couldn't b/c she needed to be snowmobiling. so he shot her up with cortizone and she headed to IP. she already cracked the hood twice, dented the nose cone and almost broke off the brake lever all playing in the trees. she loves boondockin.

so yeah moral of the story...2012 rear end is lighter than 08.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
It's pretty simple to figure out why the XP feels so much lighter at the back bumper than your M7. It's a simple lever concept! The more weight you have on the lever the more energy or force it's going to take to lift.

Fulcrum.jpg

It's because the XP's chassis weight is off balance! All it's weight is over the skis and your M7's weight is balanced front to back on the chassis and has a little more weight to the back of the sled than the XP does. Thus making it a better more easily tossed around mountain chassis than the awesome trail sled that we call the XP!

I'm no scientist or mathematician or anything like that but, Personally as a mountain rider..... I'd take the more evenly balanced chassis over the awkwardly balanced chassis. But that's just me... I really don't get stuck enough any more to care if it feels heavier at the back bumper!

Last edited:

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
I thought it was lighter. significantly. front FELT lighter too..

I was at the show with my Grandma, she is 68, (not one of snowmobiler's jokes :) ) she can't even budge the back bumper of her 08 m8.

these are just my observations/opinions. don't get mad at me...he asked. and I CAN'T PROVE IT, so don't even ask Mike! ;)

You never have to prove a grandma storry. You don't bore us with story after story about yourself. Anyway, send her up, I'll put her up and she will be at 10,000' within 40 minutes of finishing breakfast.
I have a buddie that went to West Yellowstone. The front bumper came off when he picked it up. I just figured it was poor setup.
:behindsofa:

Premium Features