• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What are we getting into? Too High?

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Year after year stock sleds go higher and higher on the mountain. The turbo 1,100 is an awfuly big jump. I'll bet many of our friends will get hurt because they get right up there in harms way.
A 177 hp at ten thousand feet is a lot. Way more than most of us have ever felt. I've had a 1000 cc mod King Cat. It has been fun, but even though it was rated at 200 hp at sea level, I probably didn't have 150 at 10,000 ft.

I know you're an expert, but what about that other guy?

Owen

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Arctic Cat is just helping us to weed out all the idiots and posers to leave more room in them there hills for us "experts".

Its gonna be a long summer for you isnt it high time? "Are we gonna screw up dependability? What are we getting into? Are we going to high? Are these sleds gonna kill people?"

;) :)

I am just kidding around with ya. I'm pretty impatiently excited too. at least of all your questions help keep me from sitting here and asking myself "green or orange? " all day.

prob be a good talking point.

sam

Last edited:
J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
with a fourstroke turbo i'm definitely a lot more concerned about coming down than going up. think you will notice that extra 100lbs on the skis when you're coming down a steep hill into the trees?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
As seen in a headline this am on a major news source...

"marijuana MAY impair thinking"

Owen, are you sure YOU'RE not getting "too high"....:face-icon-small-win

just checkin!!! :D:D:D:D

(sorry, saw that headline & laughed... then thought of this thread)

what EXACTLY ARE YOU getting into????:face-icon-small-ton

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Seems to me that getting to the top isn't as big as it used to be. Maybe because most stock sleds are doing it so effortlessly. Seems to me that the new craze is how fast you can boondock the trees and how gnarly can the terrain be while doing it.

Not to say people are going to pass up the opportunity to have a good ol fashion Horsepower off with their buddies.

But rider ability seems to be the bigger challenge not so much sleds ability anymore.
Just saying!

S
Mar 17, 2009
scary

the yamahas with 180 hp should feel about the same as the new turbo cat with 177......nothing new and definately nothing scary.... besides..how often are you really at 10000 feet...up here in canada we are usually at 4000-8000 most of the time...ive seen a four stroke with more than 180 hp in deep snow...my two stroke made it look sick...

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I here Ya'............

I guess that's all part of it. It remains to be seen how the Cat comes down. I saw that the neighbors called the fire department to get theirs down.

Owen

C
Mar 13, 2008
MT
Seems to me that getting to the top isn't as big as it used to be. Maybe because most stock sleds are doing it so effortlessly. Seems to me that the new craze is how fast you can boondock the trees and how gnarly can the terrain be while doing it.

Not to say people are going to pass up the opportunity to have a good ol fashion Horsepower off with their buddies.

But rider ability seems to be the bigger challenge not so much sleds ability anymore.
Just saying!

This is EXACTLY how I see it. Anymore, who cares about high marking? Everybody that I know (with the exception of a few idiots) is avalanche aware and knows that there is just way too much fun to be had in the trees and other little s*** holes that we can ride. This T1100 is going to make alot of people happy for reasons other than being the highest mark on the hill. Just my .02 :face-icon-small-coo

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
hahaha, we ride from 0-5000 a properly ridden tundra can cause a fatal avy!

never felt a sled at 10,000 feet is it like switching to a 600? i could see myself on a new m1100t if that was the case.

can you ride year round at 10,000 ft? parts of Alaska you can ride year round.

-Aksnopro

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
all of the 2 strokes riders better watch out for those monster 1100 trenches at 10000 ft.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
if a new turbo 800 wasnt 5000 bucks more,that might be an option for many.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

never felt a sled at 10,000 feet is it like switching to a 600? i could see myself on a new m1100t if that was the case.

-Aksnopro

180 hp M1000 is 126 up here (keep in mind, that's 10k, I go up another 3+ from there!) so yeah, pretty much like a 600. Man, that's sad to think about.

In my back yard, it's not QUITE year round, we take off from july to mid sept. There's still snow, but it's nastier than yours gets in AK (I've ridden above girdweed in summer up on milk), not sure why, but it's not really worth riding after the end of june usually.

holy crap, 109.8 hp at 13k for that same motor... how did we ever ride without turbos???? :D

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin

-Aksnopro

Its worse than that. The only bad part about heading out west, after riding the flatland at 1000 ft. is the excessively dissapointing performance of a good running snowmobile up that high. Stock 800's are a big time suck fest over 10,000 ft. once you have felt the power at low altitude.

Last edited:

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
This is EXACTLY how I see it. Anymore, who cares about high marking? Everybody that I know (with the exception of a few idiots) is avalanche aware and knows that there is just way too much fun to be had in the trees and other little s*** holes that we can ride. This T1100 is going to make alot of people happy for reasons other than being the highest mark on the hill. Just my .02

Agreed.... For the record though. If the trees are on a slope and are loose enough to ski or ride, the slope can slide as easy (or easier) than an open one. Don't get a false sense of security when you ride in the trees.

I'm sure you were referring to more technical riding on less slide prone slopes, but I wanted to clarify. Sorry to go off topic.

Premium Features