• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex Mountain Clutching - Need ideas...

T
Dec 4, 2007
Minnesota
Allright, I have to break down and post on this subject, but I have been beating my head against the wall on trying to optimize the clutching on my NA 2006 Apex. I have done numerous searches looking for ideas and tips on trying to squeeze any more performance out of this machine without jumping to the big HP adders. I am running into a wall. Hoping you guys and gals can help me in the right direction. here are the specifics to start off...

2006 Apex Mtn. - no reverse
Boss seat, under tunnel exhaust, Holz skid, Floats up front, airbox mod and R&M vent kit.
Elevation of 6000-10000 ft, targeting 8000 ft.

I rode the sled bone stock the first couple of rides and decided it needed some changes, so I made a phone call and spent $300 and got the "trick" setup and I thought I would be in business. Clutching and gearing were bone stock to start.

Put in a 19T top gear, and set up the primary with 89A-10 weights initially with the 13.3 and 10.3 rivets in for a weight of about 54.6 grams.
Spring is yellow-pink-yellow and I have the 14.5 mm rollers installed as well.

Secondary was replaced with a Team TSS-98 with a 58-42-.46 helix and red-black spring.

First ride out on the trail at 6000 ft. and I am pulling 9500 RPM... WTF?
Drilled out the 10.3 rivet, next ride pulling ~10,200 RPM.
Gonna need more when I get up high so I drilled out the 13.3 rivet, now ~10,800 RPM.

Up high the motor bogs terribly and is loaded so hard that it never cleans out and gets beyond 9000-9500 RPMs. If it does spin up that high in perfect snow conditions, it has incredible track speed, but can never acheive that when I really need it, and I cannot get that motor to spin up.

I suspect the secondary is my issue now as I really cant take any more weight out of the primary. That dang secondary gets awfully warm too. Here are the questions I have been pondering...

Why was the primary weight so far off from what should have been a cookie cutter recipe for this setup in my opinion?

Is the secondary really having that much affect? I do suspect this, however I have never really been that good at tuning the Team secondary, and have never really been that impressed with it except for on flat land applications, I only put it on this sled because "that" was the "trick" setup.

What are other guys running for secondarys? I have read a lot about this shockwave helix, but it seems that no one has really experimented with roller secondarys on the four strokes. Was that just a two-stroke fad? I would assume that a roller secondary would offer the same advantages. I also have a Roller Rooster secondary which I have had good luck with on other sleds, and am curious if I should give that a shot.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated, because I am tired of throwing good money away. This current setup is not the answer IMO, and needs some help. Any thoughts???

Thanks!

T
Dec 4, 2007
Minnesota
Well, I think I my problem is in the secondary and I am running too much helix angle and it is overshifting causing my bog. I picked up a 50/34.46 - 52/36.46 helix that I am going to try out and see if that clears up the situation. Gonna start off with the 50/34.46 to start and stick with the red/black spring for now.

Any thoughts or commens?

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I'd say it's your secondary as well... I've heard the Team clutch doesn't work so well on yamahas. I had the same exact sled with basically all the same stuff done to mine and I had Hartman Inc setup the clutching. It's been too long ago to know exactly what was done but it flat out worked at the same elevation that your trying to run. I'd give Tom Hartman a call and have him set it up for you. Felt like 10 hp to the track and the overall response was great.
When I did the turbo setup I gave my old clutching to a friend who just bought a stock Apex and he was amazed on how well it worked over stock. The button clutch on the Yamahas just flat out work... still run it on my turbo but with a shock wave.

Premium Features