• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunnel Extension!!

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Who has the best tunnel extension for a 600RR with the cooler in the center for 121" to a 136"? I want to switch this one out!!

photo.jpg photo(2).jpg

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
my bet is anything you get will be custom made. van amberg would be a good place to start.

if we go riding i could take a look at it; i have the template for my 155" extension i might be able to shorten up a bit to fit your sled.

carl

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Thanks for the info guys. I just tore the old one off and am thinking of just putting a 121" back on. Not sure which way to go now.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
my 121 was a BLAST. but....you can get to most places on a 136 if you have tracks to follow so it might be more useable for the riding around here. personally i would leave the 136 and ride it a few times before you make you decision.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Ya. The problem is the existing back edge to the tunnel was never cut out so the track MUST have been rubbing on it. The extension basically was to push the flap out away from the track i'm assuming. I need to do something either way before I ride it. I would like to stick with the 136" but I need an extension soon! It seems like kind of a big pain to put an extension on though. I would like to see some pics of what to do, or see an extension so I can picture what it will entail. New to the mod stuff other than clutching and pipes!

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
Looking at pics in your earlier post, you can just drill the rivets(or grind them) on the piece hanging down and remove it, then put the very custom tunnel extension that came with it back on and ride it with the 136.

Doing an extension isn't that hard, If you want to do one let me know and I'll help you out, I'm in meridian not far from you.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Very cool. Sled guys are awesome!! Thanks, I think I'll call SLP today and try to get something figured out. Thanks again Meaty and Jet!!

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
the ones from slp look like they are going to require modification for your cooler. If you have time to stop my jet fuels shop and check out my sled. if you like the extension i could make you one sunday. i would just need your desired length from the back of the stock tunnel. like ben said we could help you thrown it one...they only take about 30 min to put on

Very cool. Sled guys are awesome!! Thanks, I think I'll call SLP today and try to get something figured out. Thanks again Meaty and Jet!!

T
Nov 26, 2007
I honestly believe I have the best tunnel extension. I know this sounds like bragging but oh well.

If I wanted a product that some company offered over what I made, I would have just bought it. But I really like the tunnel extension I make and it is super simple to do and works great.

IQleftside-1.jpg

IQtunnelext.jpg

IQsidetunnelextensiontaper.jpg

Basically you just gotta remove the stock tunnel "cap" at the rear of the tunnel. This requires a cutting wheel to cut away the "mushrooms" on the inside from the riveting. Once you remove the cap you can get the thickness of the aluminum and go buy a sheet of the same. Then make a tunnel cap of your own that is the exact same width only 7.5 inches longer.

The difficult thing about a tunnel extension is the "closeout" at the rear that boxes it in. I hate that part of tunnels anyways. So all I do is get a 1" angle of aluminum and cut it to the width of the inside of the tunnel. Then call up Wahl Bros and order up a 3' length of snowflap material from them, it's like $8 a foot. Then I pre-drilled the angle and the tunnel at the rear. Then basically in the end the snowflap gets riveted inbetween the tunnel extension and the aluminum angle. Because it is only an inch it isn't even noticeable. If and when you get stuck just make sure to mount the grab bar a bit above the top of the tunnel so you can grab it still when you buried. The best part of not having a closeout that goes 2-4" downward is it isn't dragging at the times you do get stuck.

I dunno, I've done this exact type of extension to at least 8 Polaris sleds and they all have turned out and worked great. Low cost, great function and not tough to make yourself.

T
Nov 26, 2007
IQrearcloseoff.jpg

This is a bit better pic but still not the best. You can just barely see the angle poking out the bottom under the rear bumper there but it isn't obtrusive at all and when riveted to the rear of the tunnel it makes it strong as can be. The flap is sandwiched in and then drops. The best part is the flap can be dragging but when the stuff gets deep it gets out of the way by how it is mounted.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Meathooker, what does your 155 extension look like and how much do you charge to build them? I have an extension on my sled already, but want to go a little longer,, I currently have your footboards and rear brackets also.. post up some info on yours.. :)

Thanks

P
Jun 29, 2008
Freeborn, MN
Man, I wish I was closer to you Idaho guys. You are so willing to help out fellow IQR riders! That is awesome! (also jealous that you guys have mountain riding) Seems like us IQR riders are a pretty tight knit group judging on the forums I follow.

Chad

Premium Features