• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch questions

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
I pulled the drive clutch off my '02 summit 700 and when I got it off the fixed sheave came apart from the rest of the assembly. So I was wondering how do I know which way it should go back on so everything remains balanced. Is there some marks or something to line up, kinda like polaris' x's on their clutches?
Also what is a good way to clean it and how far should I take it apart to do so. Only has around 1,000 miles so I'm not gonna go crazy. Could I use some de-greaser and pressure wash it? The reason I pulled it off is because a belt exploded on the previous owner and I wanted to be sure there was no belt material winding up and tearing into the seal. Looks good!! So now what? Thanks

S
there should be a notch located on the engine side of the fixed sheave and an arrow on all of the movable sheave parts-just line everything up n bob's your uncle... for a light dusting of crud ya can pressure wash the clutch out when washing your ride-NOT ON THE WAX SETTING-LOL! (or an airgun-just don't breath the dust ....who knows what's in that stuff!) if you need to clean the ramps,arms, clutch faces just use good old soap and water and an old tooth brush etc...or...spray some brake cleaner or acetone (something that won't leave a residue) on a rag and giv-er the old elbow grease treatment.try not to contact the bushings (+ belt etc) with whatever cleaner you use or you may damage either the bushing or the locktite that "glues" them into place (DON'T JUST "HOSE DOWN" THE PARTS).the nice thing about doo clutches is you don't need a spring compressor unless changeing the springs...if you take care when dis/assembling the movable parts you may not even need the special tools for holding the buttons in place- but they definitly are a bonus when working in the field.if you feel the surfaces of the ramps or the clutches are too oxidized you could give them a LIGHT scuff with a fine scotchbrite pad or REALLY FINE emery cloth (but do not to remove a ton of material;))....on a related note-i've got a buddy who has an old dishwasher in his shop for clutch/parts washing that works decent.... but i wouldn't suggest it unless ya check with the old lady first;)

Last edited:
Premium Features