• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16" track thread again

E

Elkwagn

Dec 18, 2007
Boulder Mt
I know this has been disgused before(putting a 16 on a ZX) but I am curious about putting an XP track on my ZX. It is a 154 so I am wondering if I can put a big wheel kit on and make it work, and also what drivers I would need if I do this. The track is a friends and the price is right if you are wondering why! Thanks for any help and or suggestions to make it a smooth swap! P.S. currently a 151"

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
You'll need 2.86 drivers as your 2.52's will not quite work and a 8.0" big wheel will only soak up about 1.0" of track length. Depends on how much adjustment you may end up with and if you go extro's with some slack it may just work. My .02.

E

Elkwagn

Dec 18, 2007
Boulder Mt
Seeing as how I am new to working on sleds tell me about extro's and a skid set back? Its not that I am not mechanically inclined, I do all my own mechanical work on cars including my racecars, I just dont know much about working on sleds--I have always prefered to ride instead!! But the economy dictates that I must now work on older stuff to be able to ride!

Z

ZX 950

Dec 25, 2009
I have a 01 that came with a 151. did a 4" setback and put a 159 on. then i put a 162 x 16 on with 8" wheels and never moved the skid. have plenty of adjustment. you should be able to get by with 8" wheels with no problem

S
I have a 01 that came with a 151. did a 4" setback and put a 159 on. then i put a 162 x 16 on with 8" wheels and never moved the skid. have plenty of adjustment. you should be able to get by with 8" wheels with no problem

just curious-did you have to run antistabs when you did this or did you ever have an issue with the rails poking thru the the track windows?

D
Dec 19, 2008
I did a 144x2.25x16" swap on mine with a set back on the suspension, used 136 rail extenders and did the math to figure out how much to move the skid back. gives an awesome approach angle had to move the rear suspension mount brackets to outside of the tunnel and rivet with headsfrom inside for the clearance. also had to grind head down on one bolt that holds chaincase to bulkhead on the inside of tunnel. has worked awesome for 1400 miles and I ride much harder than most... only problem Ihad was a skipping track. if you want to run loose make sure you get extroverts. I am running 2.52 7 tooth drivers on mine.. I found a full set on e-bay for $40 so those werent too bad.. Another option is to find a skid off a rev or xp with the same length track you want to run the suspension cross members need to becut down 1/2 inch or so to fit in side the tunnel I just finished that up on a formula 3 600 with custom turbo kit and went to a 153"x16 track... only thing I had to change on the sled was rear mount holes for skid. Now it has a very plush ride and everything seems to be working good..if you have any more questions e-mail ncurry@tds.net I can probably get you pics if you want..

Premium Features