• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing Secondary clutch for better access

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
So I want to remove the "drive shaft" end cap the one with the 90 degree adaptor for the speedo cable, My speed doesn't work and I figure it's the spedometer key thing down there or the adaptor itself.. but it's a pita to get to with the secondary in the way.. so I'm wondering if I remove the main bolt for the secondary take it off to get access will it bugger anything is there a risk of the secondary coming apart?

I really have no idea about clutches.. so thanks for any info.

S
Nov 28, 2009
NW IOWA
the secondary wont come apart to answer your question, but take note of where the washers are at so you can put them back on on the correct side when you put it back together.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
ahh ok cool, good to know.... Washers.. not a problem I'm very cautious about stuff like that.

Thanks

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
You should be taking the secondary off at least annually anyway. It takes a 1/2" wrench to back the bolt out, then there will be a stack of washers and most likely a big spacer in there. Keep track of them and the 1/4" key. Behind the clutch on the shaft there will likely be a couple washer/spacers. Make sure they are there when you reinstall the clutch.

Once off, there should be a grease zerk on the jackshaft bearing that needs grease, as well as a zerk for the speedo housing. If the speedo hasn't worked in a while, I would be suspicious that the drive shaft bearing is going out (if it hasn't already) and taken out the speedo drive shaft. That bearing is relatively cheap and not too hard to change. I would suggest replacing it at this time, as well as the speedo key.

You will want a very light coating of grease or antisieze on the jackshaft before sliding the secondary clutch back on. Basically grease it up with your fingers, then use a paper towel and wipe it off. It will still leave a film that your secondary will self-adjust on and hopefully keep the shaft from rusting before the next time you take if off.

If you are real adventuresome (but hopefully know someone that can help or has tools) you can take the secondary apart and clean it and check the wear points.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
I had the clutching done about 100km ago, and I'm pretty sur they serviced the secondary.

I'm pretty sure the speedo doesn't work because the motor was pulled once before I bought it and when they put the motor back in looks like they pinched the speedo cable under a motor mount and I'm speculating the speedo key broke because of it.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Sorry, 'nother "dumb" question.. when I put that bolt back in what should I torque it to? In ft lbs would be great. (I'm hoping to do this thursday.. maybe)

Thanks

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
wow that's not much.. my tq wrench only goes down to 30ft lbs... looks like I need to get another one...

Thanks again

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
There shouldn't be any significant load on that bolt. I use a 1/2" wrench and grip it firmly and snug it down. I try to keep in mind what tools I would have with me on the snow to remove it. If you use a breaker bar and a cheater to put it on, you better have that much to take it off. Granted, the bolt wouldn't hold that much torque. 15 ft/lb's should be enough to keep it tight yet allow reasonably easy removal.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Snugging with a wrench I could easily exceed 15ft lbs...

Is there any major harm in slightly over tighting it.. I think I may be able to get my tq wrench down to 20 or 25ft lbs... but it might not be that accurate...

Heh watch it, with my luck the shop that serviced it last probably torqued it to 115ft lbs :p

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
I used to do that for most things.. til my tire buster friend had to crank his impact wrench up to 800ft lbs to break loose a few of my lug nuts on a car I owned :p

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
So I finally got around to this, the secondary came off almost too easy, took the bolt out all the washers came with it on that side, the I was almost prepping to fight the secondary off, it kinda startled me at first it slid right off we're talking 0 effort and I left all the back side washers on.

Wee the speedo works now.

The speedo key in the jack shaft twisted off at the 90 degree end cap/adaptor thing when the previous owner pinched the speedo cable in the front motor mount. The grease in the adaptor still looked good, I replaced it anyhow and lubed the bearing behind the secondary. While I was at it I changed the chain case oil and tightened the chain, there actually was quite a bit of play.

Thanks for all the info

Last edited:
Premium Features