• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Secondary clutch helix broke - how to remove from sled

P
Nov 9, 2019
Hi all,
2012 M800
While out sledding my helix broke. The clutch was making some noise a little before that, but i could not figure out what it was. Lucky i have some good friends and a tow rope.

1. My question: How do i remove the secondary from the machine? There is spring tension from the main spring as i start to remove the main bolt. Will the spring tension be a lot if i just unscrew the main bolt and let the helix fly off? Because the helix is broken, the clutch is now "two pieces" and not one unit. If it was still one unit i could take it apart on my workbench with a clutch compressor.

2. What would be a good replacement helix? Or better yet is a Team Tied clutch a 'bolt on' upgrade or do i need a new jackshaft? I am running a CVTech Powerblock for a primary.

ThanksPXL_20211230_182919261.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
For removal try sticking a long prybar down into the footwell and pushing on the end of the helix to take the spring pressure. Then take the bolt out holding it on. These were probably the best option for a replacement helix as far as strength goes, but looks like out of stock now: https://thunderproductsclutching.com/product/hercules-helix/

Team tied clutch is a direct bolt on fit, but takes its own unique springs and helixes.

P
Nov 9, 2019
Apparently Thunder no longer produces the Hercules helix. I just got off the phone with them and he said they did not sell so they stopped making them. Damn.

Premium Features