• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard Steering Problem

S
Nov 26, 2007
Lakewood, CO
I recently picked up a 99 SummitX 670 for my girlfriend. Sled only has 800 miles, it's in great shape. This is my second 99, I had one a few years back.
We went out yesterday for the first ride (trails) and her sled is almost impossible to steer and turn. I takes all your effort to turn the sled. We loosened the limiter strap all the way which made it a little better but not much. Set up the suspension per her weight but still, very hard to steer. The sled seems to wander on the trails. It has the junk stock skies but it still shouldn't be this bad. It just didn't feel right.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
Could be the ski alignment. I don't think it should be that bad though. Try to lube the spindle on front of the trailing arm also with a good grease. When I first got my sled these were dry and it made the sled hard to steer. Use something that is for cold temps.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Lakewood, CO
I jacked up the front end to see how turning would be if the skies were in the air and it is difficult. My buddy said there might be a grease zerk deep in the steering, there was one on an old Arctic Cat that he had. Does anyone know if this sled had one?
I greased the zerks on the front of the trailing arms before I took it out, so I think that's ok..

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
Make sure you grease all the suspension parts every season. I do it in the garage or in the fall before it gets cold so the grease displaces the water.

Premium Features