• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 escape oil pump

H
Jan 13, 2008
Boise
Has anyone had an oil pump go bad? I just put a new wide bearing kit on the crank and rebuilt the the top end and I cant get oil from the pump to the motor. I believe that the pump is fed by gravity only am I wrong? I made sure that the oil feeds from the motor to the pump and then made sure the oil bleeds out the top screw. Start the motor and the oil should dump out of the ports that go to the case and carbs right? :confused:

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Has anyone had an oil pump go bad? I just put a new wide bearing kit on the crank and rebuilt the the top end and I cant get oil from the pump to the motor. I believe that the pump is fed by gravity only am I wrong? I made sure that the oil feeds from the motor to the pump and then made sure the oil bleeds out the top screw. Start the motor and the oil should dump out of the ports that go to the case and carbs right? :confused:

First off, anytime you unhook the lines from your oil pump, I ALWAYS premix my 1st tank of fuel as an insurance policy.

Now for the oil pump. Yes, it is gravity fed from the bottle to the pump. Make sure to open the bleeder screw on the oil pump to get rid of any air out of the pump itself, and the line to it. Take a ziptye and lock the arm on the oil pump in the wot position. Now start your sled and let it idle for a bit. The oiler will think it is wide open and will be pumping hard and fast. Even at this, the oil pump does not move huge amounts of oil. Just a small slow steady stream. If your lines are empty between the pump and the motor and you let it idle with the oiler tyied open, you generally know when the oil has been pumped all the way through to the motor as it will generally start smoking heavy smoke out the exhaust!

Back to the first part, premix your first tank of fuel just incase. Monitor your oil usage and if it is normal, then your good to go. I have seen too many guys burn down fresh rebuilds because they trusted that they had it bled out well and then ended up with an air lock somewhere and melted them down.

H
Jan 13, 2008
Boise
looks like I better pre mix my fuel before anymore testing. That is great advice. what should I mix the gas oil at and should I do a whole tank worth or just a couple gallons??

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
looks like I better pre mix my fuel before anymore testing. That is great advice. what should I mix the gas oil at and should I do a whole tank worth or just a couple gallons??

I only put in a few gallons of premix @50/1. Then once you know your pump is ok and bled good you can fill it up with pure fuel and it will dilute that oil down to nearly nothing.

H

highmarkedu

Nov 27, 2007
MT
Ive always filled the oil lines with a small squirt gun it works wonders give that a try next time along with premixing your first tank

Mitch P.

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Snohomish, Wa
They do fail. I'm not sure if they can quit pumping oil when they do, but my 700 pump went into overdrive when it failed. Would darn near drain the whole oil tank on one tank of gas.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Correct, an oil pump can and will fail with enough time. When they fail they fail to wide open for a safety measure.

When I reinstalled a new one on a 700, I made a driver with a piece of 1/2" dowel about 1.5" long. I notched the end to fit over the pump drive, then put a small zip-tie around it to keep it centered on the drive. Installed the other end into my 1/2" cordless drill. I cut 4 6" pieces of clear tubing and plugged onto the pump outputs. Zip-tied these together and primed the pump with the drill, pumping the oil into a container. Once I knew the pump was pumping out of each port, I reinstalled the oil lines from the motor to the pump, and primed those with the drill. Once this was done, I pulled the drill and the adapter off and bolted the pump back to the motor.

That pump went out at about 3000 miles. My current 700 has 3100 and I will be taking the pump apart this weekend to clean it. For whatever reason, the pump has the ability to lubricate itself using the injector oil, but has no way to purge the small metal filings that accumulate in it as the pump wears. Once these filings build up to a lethal level, they start to grind the gear parts rapidly. I figure by opening up the pump and flushing this excess metal out, the pump should last considerably longer (hopefully as long as the motor).

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Good news for me at least. Took the oil pump apart yesterday to flush any contaminants out, and there weren't any. Either I am running a better oil that flushes this stuff out (runs it throught the motor for what that's worth), or it is keeping the pump lubricated better so it doesn't wear out in the first place.

I ran Blue Marble the first two years and Amsoil semi-synthetic since then with 3100 miles. I'm hoping that if the oil does that good of a job on the oil pump that the internals of the engine should be in good shape as well.

Premium Features