• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What City to stay in the Black Hills for Powder Riding

C
Feb 12, 2009
Hugo, MN
I know this might be an old topic, but I've never been to the Black Hills and would like to know what city is the best to stay in for good off trail riding. We are also hoping to just ride right form the place we will be staying and not have to trailer it. Also looking to find something cheep. Just a bed with a room and a st*ter will be fine. Any help would be great. Thanks

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Trailshead, Rec Springs, Spearfish Canyon.

Typically the further West you go(and sometimes North) the better the snow is.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Its pretty much the centerpoint of the trail system and you can get anywhere you want easily from there.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
If you're looking for powder in the Black Hills you better hope it snows the day before you get here or you better be willing to go up in the trees to find it and oh by the way, BUY A SKIDPLATE and put in extra rivets !!!!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
too true rotax, there isn't good powder unless it snows a day or two before you arrive for the weekend or else it will be packed everywhere but the trees

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
There is no decent powder riding out here until after late Jan even in a good snow year, at teh end of Dec your still fighting all of the ruts from hunters to get out into the hills.

Y

yamaha3

Sep 30, 2009
Spearfish, SD
yea around the first of the year or later is the best powder..as far as places to stay the local towns would be like spearfish and lead/deadwood..all would be good places to stay..most of the people are really friendly

C
Feb 12, 2009
Hugo, MN
yea around the first of the year or later is the best powder..as far as places to stay the local towns would be like spearfish and lead/deadwood..all would be good places to stay..most of the people are really friendly

Thanks for the info. We are looking to make it out around mid Jan. so I'm hoping the off trail power riding is good by then.

C
Feb 12, 2009
Hugo, MN
If you're looking for powder in the Black Hills you better hope it snows the day before you get here or you better be willing to go up in the trees to find it and oh by the way, BUY A SKIDPLATE and put in extra rivets !!!!

Thanks. I've got a skidplate and looking forward to getting up in the trees.

Premium Features